Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
NVENC support ?
Julien Pierre [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Apr 14, 2011 01:34 Messages: 476 Offline
[Post New]
Earlier this year, nVidia released the GTX 680 . They added a dedicated H.264 encoding chip they called NVENC.

According to http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/nvidia-geforce-gtx-680-R300-drivers-released

"In the GeForce GTX 680, we have incorporated new, specialized circuitry dedicated to H.264 hardware-accelerated encoding. Not only does this optimized NVENC hardware consume far less power than the CUDA-based encoder, it is also four times faster, allowing NVENC-enabled programs to encode a 16-minute, 1920x1080, 30 frames per second video in a couple of minutes flat. Furthermore, encoding applications are able to use CUDA and NVENC simultaneously, sacrificing power-saving optimizations in favor of even faster encode times.

Supporting H.264 Base, Main, and High Profile 4.1, NVENC can tackle videos up to 4096x4096, and encode content in stereoscopic 3D using Multiview Video Coding. Outside of video encoding, NVENC can accelerate video editing windows, wireless displays, videoconferencing applications, and more.

Launch-day support will be provided by Cyberlink MediaEspresso, with additional support following in the near future for Cyberlink PowerDirector and Arcsoft MediaConvertor."

Last week, I bought a GTX 680 . Benchmarked it against my GTX 560 Ti.
Found the same exact encoding performance. I take it the NVENC support is still not there yet 6 months after launch.

Are nVidia or Cyberlink still working on adding this NVENC support ?
My only reason for buying the 680 was for the faster encoding.

Since it's not there yet, my GTX 680 went back to the store the next morning.
MSI X99A Raider
Intel i7-5820k @ 4.4 GHz
32GB DDR4 RAM
Gigabyte nVidia GTX 960 4GB
480 GB Patriot Ignite SSD (boot)
2 x 480 GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD (striped)
6 x 1 TB Samsung 860 SSD (striped)

2 x LG 32UD59-B 32" 4K
Asus PB238 23" HD (portrait)