Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Unreliable DVD's
gpblancs [Avatar]
Newbie Location: North West England Joined: Dec 01, 2012 14:22 Messages: 21 Offline
[Post New]
I have the trial version of PowerDirector 11 without any patches installed. I have used other video editing software and PD11 was easy to use, more stable, runs faster and renders DVD's much faster than others but there is a problem.

I have done three projects. All executed OK with only a couple of crashes and all burned to Sony DVD+R 16x discs successfuly, except that every one will not play correctly. They either stop playing, pause then start again a few seconds or in some cases many seconds later or they just stop. There does not apprear to be any bad data/breakup of picture they just will not work properly. Two projects are 2hrs long each and the other is an hour.

As a test I have just burned a Blu-ray DVD of the 1 hour project. Played it back on the DVD player used for all the normal discs and it played perfectly.

This really starting to bug me now as I can't believe that I have about 10 bad DVD's in succession.

I would appreciate everyones help to sort this out.

It is the only thing stopping me from buying PD11.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 01. 2012 14:45

James1
Senior Contributor Location: Surrey, B.C., Canada Joined: Jun 10, 2010 16:20 Messages: 1783 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
Don't know what your computer specs are, but I suggest either burn to folder first, and check things out, 2) buy some DVD re-writable DVD to check player compatibility (saves coasters) lower dvd burner speed to other than maximum burn speed. By using DVD re disks you can try various formats MPeg-2 is standard dvd but can be set to HD output.
Jim
p.s. The trial has some limitations on formats also.
Intel i7-2600@3.4Gz Geforce 560ti-1GB Graphic accelerator, windows 7 Premium 12GB memory

Visit GranPapa64's channel for your YouTube experience of the day!
gpblancs [Avatar]
Newbie Location: North West England Joined: Dec 01, 2012 14:22 Messages: 21 Offline
[Post New]
Hi James,

My PC is a 3.2Ghz quad core processor with 4GB ram, 1GB video card and the projects are on a seperate 500GB HDD with over 300GB spare. So plenty of spec to do HD video processing.

OK. What spec would you suggest to save the project to file?

James1
Senior Contributor Location: Surrey, B.C., Canada Joined: Jun 10, 2010 16:20 Messages: 1783 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
I don't know what version of PD 11 you are running, but 4GB system memory with anything but Mpeg-2 standard DVD is all your system will manage. Video editing in the Hi Def format requires a LOT of cpu power and memory. Out of that 4GB you have windows requires some for process' so you are left with just over 3GB for editing. I recommend a minimum of 6GB for video editing, especially for hi def stuff.
Jim Intel i7-2600@3.4Gz Geforce 560ti-1GB Graphic accelerator, windows 7 Premium 12GB memory

Visit GranPapa64's channel for your YouTube experience of the day!
All vodi
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Aug 21, 2009 11:24 Messages: 1431 Offline
[Post New]
gpblancs ,

Can you please explain what type of "DVD" that you are trying to burn ? You mention BD as well so it's a tad confusing. Win 10, i7
gpblancs [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi James,

I am sorry but I must disagree with you about what my system will process. This system has processed and burned HD video projects onto Blu-ray DVD's with no problem.

The 1hr project I just burned as a Blu-ray took approx 3hrs and the CPU never got much above 80%, the odd spike did go higher, and the memory was never above about 2.8GB.

No other programmes, other than windows 7, were running.
gpblancs [Avatar]
[Post New]
HDedit,

Thanks for the reply.

I normally burn "standard" DVD's but occasionally I burn Blu-ray's.

Is that what you meant?

:
All vodi
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Aug 21, 2009 11:24 Messages: 1431 Offline
[Post New]
gpblancs ,

OK.

1. Do the DVD play OK on your PC ?
2. If yes, then I suggest burning to "folder" on the create disc section and using a third party DVD burner such as ImgBurn which is free and works reliably. This app has a very handy "verify disc" feature which avoids burning dud discs.

There are several issues with the trial versions. Do a search on it in this forum and you'll see what I mean. I burn both HD and std DVD frequently using this app and it has yet to fail me, as long as PD does it's job.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 01. 2012 17:21

Win 10, i7
jerrys
Senior Contributor Location: New Britain, CT, USA (between New York and Boston) Joined: Feb 10, 2010 21:36 Messages: 1038 Offline
[Post New]
When a disk freezes during playback and sometimes recovers after a second or two, that's a problem with either the disk or the player. The freeze happens while the player keeps trying to reconstruct the data.

Unfortunately, this could be a flakey writer, a bad batch of media, or a flakey player. Try playing some of the disks you've already burnt in someone else's player, and work back from there.

I know that I wind up with a coaster occasionally, and from what I can tell from the web that's a common problem with my particular DVD drive. Jerry Schwartz
gpblancs [Avatar]
[Post New]
OK.

I hope I am not putting the mockers on my solution but all SEEMS well.

I tried what James1 suggested. That is reduce the DVD burn speed. I lowered from the max of 16x to 8x.

I then used Imgburn to verify the disc, not against the image file but just the disc, amd this came back with no read errors.

I have done that with three different projects and the results were all good.

So, am I right in thinking that if one of these DVD's does not play properly on a DVD player then it will be the player which is at fault?
v8yunkie270368 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Germany Joined: Nov 05, 2012 04:26 Messages: 23 Offline
[Post New]
In my opinion, the burning speed is the key to the solution - I have had the same experience couple of times and just 2 days ago: Burn a DVD with 8x speed and my player does not like it. Go slow on 2x and it works fine.

My kind of blunt explanation is that the slower you burn, the "deeper" or better the signal is in the disc. A very good adjusted player can still cope with a bad signal, but if yours is not that perfect, he might miss out when the signal is not that deep on the disc.

Same effect on self-made Audio CD's in a car: Burn them with 16x and every little bump on the road will make the player stutter. With slow speed burning (or bought CD's), this only occurs if you hit a big bump.

Hence I always burn as slow as possible.

Regards,
Thomas
gpblancs [Avatar]
[Post New]
Ok,

Thanks Thomas for the response. It seems to work with my mind set as well.

The only thing that concerns me with this solution is my DVD player itself.

It is a very much underused player but plays pre-recoded dvd's every time, including Blurays, and the only time it plays-up is with self produced DVD's.