Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
ATI Catalyst driver updates - AVIVO missing ?
All vodi
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Aug 21, 2009 11:24 Messages: 1431 Offline
[Post New]
Note that with release 12.8 and higher of the Catalyst ATI driver package the AVIVO video converter software is no longer part of the release and it no longer appears on the AMD software site.

If one removes an earlier release version (12.6 or less) the AVIVO portion is also removed !

PD10 does present a warning flag if AVIVO is missing when trying to use hardware acceleration.

I cannot see any degradation in rendering.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Nov 18. 2012 17:32

Win 10, i7
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Not entirely positive but I believe PD11 has changed focus to the OpenCL technology. If your graphics card driver supports OpenCL, you can accelerate video effect features by using OpenCL. The key is what PD11 says in the preference area for HA. If the card supports OpenCL I believe PD11 will only display a Enable OpenCL technology to speed up video effect preview/render tick box.

On the other hand, if your computer does not support OpenCL, the wording on the HA preference area I believe is replaced with the supported hardware acceleration technology like Intel Effect Acceleration, CUDA, or AMD Accelerated Parallel Processing. When OpenCL is supported I do not believe these other options will be available in the preferences.

The above may explain why no rendering degrading is noted, in essence, you are probably using OpenCL which does not require Avivo.

Jeff

Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
The current AMD Catalyst driver is 12.10. It includes the hardware acceleration software needed (AVIVO) and Open CL.

AMD Catalyst 12.10 is good and stable.

Earlier versions were not too stable.

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

All vodi
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Aug 21, 2009 11:24 Messages: 1431 Offline
[Post New]
Carl,

I checked it and Avivo is actually not part of 12.10. However, if it's loaded from a previous version then it's NOT erased by 12.10 (the version number remains as is).

This explains why if one starts with a clean slate Avivo is no longer available from release 12.8 upward. Win 10, i7
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Carl,

I checked it and Avivo is actually not part of 12.10. However, if it's loaded from a previous version then it's NOT erased by 12.10 (the version number remains as is).

This explains why if one starts with a clean slate Avivo is no longer available from release 12.8 upward.

That is good to know.

I have mostly been just installing the new version on top of the old version. I think I upgraded from 12.4 which had a working Avivo.

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

[Post New]
Carl312
Isso é bom saber. que foram na sua maioria apenas instalar a nova versão em cima da versão antiga. Eu acho que fiz um upgrade de 12,4 que teve um Avivo trabalho.

Do you have the box Enable OpenCL .... activated?
Here Catalyst 12.10 works normal, however to activate this box has at least one effect "Blur" that applies in the timeline PD10 and (PD11 the trial) locks, worse than it already worked at some point, but again made with the new Catalyst or older.
I wonder if PD11 updated solved it?
Carl312
[Post New]
Quote:
Carl312
Isso é bom saber. que foram na sua maioria apenas instalar a nova versão em cima da versão antiga. Eu acho que fiz um upgrade de 12,4 que teve um Avivo trabalho.

Here Catalyst 12.10 works normal, however to activate this box has at least one effect "Blur" that applies in the timeline PD10 and (PD11 the trial) locks, worse than it already worked at some point, but again made with the new Catalyst or older.

I do not have Enable OpenCL checked in Preferences.

I do not use hardware acceleration.

It is available. It shows up in Produce every time.

All vodi
[Post New]
UPDATE: Rendering a complex project with AVC files, lots of fades, zooms, trims, etc DOES show a small difference when AVIVO is available within release 12.10 !

I rendered the above 15 minute project with and without AVIVO loaded : it took 22 minutes with AVIVO available and 24.5 minutes without.

It did NOT matter whether HA or CL was selected !

So PD11 somehow manages to use some of the benefits of AVIVO but who knows how. Win 10, i7
[Post New]
Quote:
Quote:
Carl312

I do not have Enable OpenCL checked in Preferences.

I do not use hardware acceleration.

It is available. It shows up in Produce every time.

I'm not sure when I had to convert AVCHD (1080) to MPEG2, sometimes done very quickly, 15 minutes + or-for 60 minutes, maybe it was the OpenCL or another name that did this, normal does in 55 minutes.
For rendering MPEG2 makes no difference in time hardware encoder, connected or not, if put on the reverse interlace video rendering from top to bottom

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 18. 2012 19:36