Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Disc type not supported when trying to burn blue ray...
Scott61 [Avatar]
Member Location: Wichita, KS Joined: Aug 20, 2011 04:43 Messages: 126 Offline
[Post New]
I first tried using a Sony Blue ray burner, Model BDX-S600U. It would begin the burning process, but at the very end it would tell me the burn was unsuccessful with an error code that I didn't record.

I then tried using my Samsung burner, I did go in and select the region under the Device Manager for this drive. I have not done that with the Sony yet to see if that works.

About an year ago I burned a Blue ray with one of these burners and got along fine?

Thanks in advance for all the help I know you guys give!
Scott
[Thumb - cyperlink problem4.PNG]
 Filename
cyperlink problem4.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
143 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
158 time(s)
Scott Wright
Wichita, KS
Scott61 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Having trouble listing more than one attachment at a time. Will try the other two on this post
[Thumb - cyberlink problem.PNG]
 Filename
cyberlink problem.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
205 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
159 time(s)
Scott Wright
Wichita, KS
Scott61 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Here are all three together. I found why I didn't think I was able to send more than one at a time. The horizontal slide bar at the bottom was "hidden" on my screen and I couldn't see "Add another file" option.
[Thumb - cyperlink problem4.PNG]
 Filename
cyperlink problem4.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
143 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
140 time(s)
[Thumb - cyperlink problem3.PNG]
 Filename
cyperlink problem3.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
302 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
152 time(s)
[Thumb - cyberlink problem.PNG]
 Filename
cyberlink problem.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
205 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
153 time(s)
Scott Wright
Wichita, KS
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Based on the manual for your Samsung burner it is a DVD burner, BD reader which means it can read and burn DVDs but only read BDs. It can not write a BD hence the error. http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/model/SE-406AB/RSWD

Jeff
Scott61 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Ok. I guess I should RTFM. (read the freacking manual!!) I used my sony and was able to burn the BD after I selected the region.

Why do they require you to select regions? I have used regular external DVD burners and have never had to do that. I don't know if they tell you to do that in the manual since I don't seem to read them!

Thanks for looking that up for me, and if you have an answer to my question please let me know.

Scott Scott Wright
Wichita, KS
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Did you set the DVD region for the drive in question? Often DVD burners are initially shipped with no current region defined. The region code controls DVD/BD media playback in general. It's a protection method that won't allow media created for Region 2, Europe, Japan,.. to be played in the USA, Region 1, and vice versa. Keep in mind, Windows allows you to have 5 total region code changes, after that your drive is permanently locked to the last region it was set to.

Jeff
Scott61 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for the help. I have everything set and working as they are supposed too. I appreciate the information on why you have to set regions.

One last unrelated question, I have always used -R DVD's for my little hobby business of transferring 8mm film. I found that they will play on more of the older DVD players compared to +R's. I am now looking at using +R DL's, which are about all you can find in the double layer format. Do you think there will be any problem with these playing on older DVD players out there?

Most of my cliental are older people, and many mention how old there equipment is. So, if you have any information on the differences of + and - DVD's I'd appreciate knowing.

Scott Scott Wright
Wichita, KS
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Tough call not knowing more detail (model) about the players in question.

What you observe could be true, DVD-R (~1997) is older than DVD+R (~2002) so pre 2002 players will almost certainly be more compatible with DVD-Rs. DVD+R DL (~2003) and DVD-R DL (~2005) so the DVD+R DL could actually be more compatible with your older player crowd. (Above timeframes from my DVD Demystified book, a very good source of DVD history and technology)

Although not timeframe specific, this site http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers can give one a good feel about user experiences with various DVD players and media playback experience.

DVD-R DL
426 DVD Players supports 60%
288 DVD Players do not support 40%
714 DVD Players tested (11041 DVD Players are not tested).

DVD+R DL
1041 DVD Players supports 75%
346 DVD Players do not support 25%
1387 DVD Players tested (10368 DVD Players are not tested).

I'd simply go with DVD+R DL and see how your crowd fairs. I use them all the time and have no issues. If you use LPCM for the audio vs Dolby when you burn the Disc or create a folder in PD11 this can also improve compatibility with older players.

Jeff

Scott61 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Great info. Just what I needed.

I just tried burning a project with the +R DL's I picked up, using PD10 Ultra. I selected the basic DVD disc type under the 2D tab. With this, or anything else I attempted, I got the message that my disc size was to small for the project, 7620MB.

Do I need to upgrade to PD11, or what do I select in PD10 Ultra to get this to burn?

You have been such a great help and I really appreciate your dedication.

Thanks,
Scott Scott Wright
Wichita, KS
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Be sure to select 8.5GB for the DVD disk size as well. About 2hr of DVD HQ profile will fit on the DL discs.

No, PD11 won't offer anything more regarding this message.

Jeff
Scott61 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Once again I appreciate your help with a novice. I am now burning the DL disc.

If I upgrade to PD11 will I have any problems importing any PD10 projects into it, or do I need to keep PD10 running until those projects are done?

I think this will be my last question.

Scott Scott Wright
Wichita, KS
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
I have had no issues with PD10 projects reading into PD11 as long as you leave all your project files in the same place. The content and timeline modifications appear to read in correctly.

It sounds like you might be burning several discs for your older crowd. Many using PD find the "Burn to disc" not as robust or quick as many users would like. Often many find it better to simply use PD create disc module and "Create a folder" option. One can then use a different CL product (Power2Go) to burn this video folder to disc or one of several free and very good burn utilitites like ImgBurn, CDBurnerXP Pro, or the like.

Jeff
Scott61 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I will give that a try using "create a folder" option.
I just went ahead and upgraded to PD11. I didn't get my thank you email from CL with the download link. I am on the phone now trying to remedy that. Have been on hold over 5 min so far just to ask this simple question.
Without this forum, and people like you, this software would almost be worthless due to the amount of frustration it can create. Even when I had paid support it was pretty pathetic.

The tech guy came back and said that he would send me an email in 15-20 minutes. I asked him why he can't send it to me now, so that if there is another problem we can deal with it and not have to call back in and jump through all their hoops again. He finally said to stay on hold and he will send it to me. I guess "time" will tell if he comes back in 20 minutes??? Also told him without the forum their product would be worthless.

thanks,
Scott

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 19. 2012 15:31

Scott Wright
Wichita, KS