Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Still Crashes with my HD Radeon 7770... should I change to NVIDIA graphics adapter??
v8yunkie270368 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Germany Joined: Nov 05, 2012 04:26 Messages: 23 Offline
[Post New]
I am still experiencing issues with PD11 crashing... and this is without a single change to a project it sometimes takes 4 to 6 tries until I can finally burn the project to disc or in a folder. All of a sudden it works.

This for me concludes, that there might be some issue with my (brandnew) gear: Windows Prof 64-bit, AMD FX8210, 16GB Corsair RAM, AMD970 motherboard, 128GB SSD (for Windows and Programs... however PD11 resides on my 1TB HDD with 500GB of free space) and a HD Radeon 7770 2GB.

On other forum postings I found that most users that experience program crashes (also on older versions) have Radeon graphics adapters.

So should I try to change to NVIDIA... or try PD10 instead (in the assumption that it might be more matured)?

Thanks and regards,
Thomas

BTW: I have my DXDIAG attached
 Filename
DXDIAG.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
28 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
278 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 16. 2012 06:47

garioch7
Senior Contributor Location: Port Hood, Nova Scotia, Canada Joined: Feb 07, 2011 06:45 Messages: 852 Offline
[Post New]
Hello Thomas:

Sorry to hear that you are having problems with PD11. I looked at your dxdiag file and your computer should be capable of handling PD11. Your video card is one of the supported AMD cards so I would not be in a rush to swap it out for a new one. The first release of PD11 had issues with the latest nVidia driver, which was fixed with Build 2215, so it is always a challenge for the programmers to keep up with what the video card manufacturers are up to.

What might be causing your problem, and I stress "MIGHT", is that your SSD drive has only 44.9 GB free. Even though you have installed PD11 on your bigger drive, PD uses the operating system drive (your SSD) to create all of its temporary files and caches when it is producing, burning, or rendering (previewing). Many folks recommend having 100 GB free on your system drive for HD editing, although that has been a contentious issue. Personally, I would like to have at least 50 GB free (I have over 900 GB free on my main system drive), considering that a single layer BD holds 25 GB of video/data. Temporary files, plus the burn file(s), could easily double the amount of space required on the system drive for a successful burn/produce.

You should ensure that you have the latest QuickTime installed, as PD11 relies on that and having an outdated version has been known to cause issues. Also ensure, from the AMD website that you have the latest video driver for your card.

If you have hardware acceleration turned on in Preferences, try turning it off to see if that makes any difference.

Hope this helps and let us know how you make out. Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil Windows 10 Pro x64
Dell XPS 8930
Intel CoreT i7 (4.6 GHz)
32 GB DDR4-2666 RAM
1 TB PCIe -x4 SSD
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
PD14 Ultimate x64, 4207
CD4 Ultra and AD6 Ultra
Bleeping Computer Malware Response Instructor
v8yunkie270368 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Germany Joined: Nov 05, 2012 04:26 Messages: 23 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Phil,
I am aware of the potential SSD capacity issue - an maybe I will try that once more. However for a substantial capacity increase, I would e.g. have to remove MS Office from SSD to hard drive... what puzzles me, is that for SD-Video (I don't have HD yet), I have what Cyberlink states to be required. Also, fact is that the program often times crashes far before it even starts to burn... sometimes it crashes during the assembly of the menu structure. I cannot imagine that at this stage, there is already a huge file on the SSD as burning did not even start yet... or am I maybe wrong? Anyway, I will try in that direction. Suprisingly on that behalf is also, that Cyberlink support (I had a ticket running and have just opened a new one) never indicated anything in that direction, even though they have my dxdiag and a presentation of the crashes.

Something I will definitely check is Quicktime.

On the GA driver, I have a special program by AMD which tells me that I do have the latest and greatest driver installed.

Hardware acceleration I have turnd off ever since the first issue appeared... and even without that: IF it works, the burning of 1:20h project just took 12min. That's fast enough for me and actually pretty good as I think.

Meanwhile, I have talked to my hardware dealer and he is willing to exchange the GA to a GT660 at full refund. So I will take that chance. If I am lucky, I will know more at the weekend.

Will keep you posted - anyway, thanks a lot for your feedback and best regards to Canada (my 2nd true love) from grey old Germany,
Thomas
lesifotos [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 03, 2010 08:44 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

try to disable the overclocking in Catalyst Control Center. It helps me.

L.