Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
How does PowerDVD downmix e.g. 7.1 sound to 5.1?
[Post New]
Just out of curiosity, the question is in the title, maybe Michael can ask the tech guys and give me some answer?

- Does it simple ignore the additional channels, and only use the 5.1 ones.
- Or does it mix the additional channels into the two surround speakers of 5.1.

Thanks in advance for any answer

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 08. 2012 15:34

My collection: http://www.blu-ray.com/community/collection.php?u=194008&action=showcategory&category=1&categoryid=7
CyberLink-Michael [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Korrigan,

sorry we cannot reveal too much details (some info are under NDA)

basically it works like this:

7.1 > 5.1 ==> channels are skipped when no effect (like PL IIx or CyberLink TrueTheater is used for downmixing)

n.1 > Stereo ==> using CyberLinks formula
n.1 > Dolby Surround, Virtual Speaker, TT Surround ==> using the respective algorithms.

br
Michael Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan
[Post New]
Thanks for the answer!

Quote: 7.1 > 5.1 ==> channels are skipped when no effect (like PL IIx or CyberLink TrueTheater is used for downmixing)
Mhh doesn't simply skipping channels actually mean a loss of some audio information? Wouldn't it be better to mix the rear channels to the surround channels in some proportion?

Or maybe that's what TrueTheater does?

PS: you can't use PL IIx on Blu-Ray 7.1 to 5.1 (or if you can, I haven't found how yet). It can be enabled to upscale audio content (I can enable it e.g. on audio commentaries which are 2.0), but not for downscaling as far as I know.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 10. 2012 06:14

My collection: http://www.blu-ray.com/community/collection.php?u=194008&action=showcategory&category=1&categoryid=7