Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
tracing our journey on a map image
[Post New]
Hi all,

I recently got back from a road trip holiday in the US (a big deal for us) and I'm preparing to start editing my footage. I wanted to show our route on a map and have a little animated series of dots tracing our journey. Possibly I'd do it for each stage of the journey and break up the less than story-boarded nature of my filming.

I think I can work out/remember how to pan over a still image, but how would I produce the sequence of dots describing our progress? This is PowerDirector 9 I'm using.

Cheers.
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Hi all,

I recently got back from a road trip holiday in the US (a big deal for us) and I'm preparing to start editing my footage. I wanted to show our route on a map and have a little animated series of dots tracing our journey. Possibly I'd do it for each stage of the journey and break up the less than story-boarded nature of my filming.

I think I can work out/remember how to pan over a still image, but how would I produce the sequence of dots describing our progress? This is PowerDirector 9 I'm using.

Cheers.

You need Powerdirector 10 or above to have the map drawing application (paint animation).

You can do that in PD 9 by using A photo editing application and drawing the line in that software and importing the Movie.
There are Photo editors that can animate images.

Check out 'The Gimp'.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 24. 2012 17:24

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

[Post New]
Quote: You can do that in PD 9 by using A photo editing application and drawing the line in that software and importing the Movie.

I've got access to Photoshop but never used it for animation. I'll have to investigate that.

And I'm right in thinking an animated GIF won't work, I'll need to convert what I do in Photoshop to a .wmv or similar?

Thanks.
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote:
Quote: You can do that in PD 9 by using A photo editing application and drawing the line in that software and importing the Movie.

I've got access to Photoshop but never used it for animation. I'll have to investigate that.

And I'm right in thinking an animated GIF won't work, I'll need to convert what I do in Photoshop to a .wmv or similar?

Thanks.

Powerdirector does not do animated GIF. You do have to convert to a wmv or maybe mp4.

If the search function will work there were some posts on that subject. I remember seeing the posts, and The Gimp has a animation function that outputs a movie.

THE GIMP is a free open source program, it is much like Photoshop.

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

[Post New]
Quote:

Powerdirector does not do animated GIF. You do have to convert to a wmv or maybe mp4.

I'm keen to try and save as much hard drive space as I can by not installing new stuff - though I've heard good things about Gimp.

If I can't get what I need from Photoshop, I wonder if I could just use a fullstop (period) from PowerDirector's titling software, and placing a succession of them strategically on the map. That's going to prevent tracking across the map at the same time though, I suppose. Hmmm....
Carl312
[Post New]
Quote:
Quote:

I'm keen to try and save as much hard drive space as I can by not installing new stuff - though I've heard good things about Gimp.

If I can't get what I need from Photoshop, I wonder if I could just use a fullstop (period) from PowerDirector's titling software, and placing a succession of them strategically on the map. That's going to prevent tracking across the map at the same time though, I suppose. Hmmm....

I really have no idea how to do a map draw in Powerdirector 9. It is very easy to do that in Powerdirector 10 and Powerdirector 11.

Both PD10 and PD11 have the animation tool.

The only other method I know of is to use third party software to create a movie of the path.

You create your series of the line path in photo editing software, then you create a movie of those images.
This is how to do it in GIMP.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Kp4RrWptP4&feature=related

This is the tool in Powerdirector 10.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5h2BtKhbT8

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 26. 2012 11:47

RobertJ/OZ [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne Australia Joined: Aug 14, 2006 02:26 Messages: 1209 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Angus,

When I had PDR9 installed, I used a free Routegenerator as did many PDR9 users, it is a very good app.

http://www.routegenerator.net/

Robert

Intel i7 930, 16GB ram, Radeon HD 5770 1Gb,Ver. 14.12 Win7 64 bit
Intel i7 7700 HQ, 16 GB ram Nvidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB dual drives 1 TB SSD + 1 TB HDD Win 10

PDtoots
Fenman
Senior Contributor Location: Cambridge, UK Joined: Nov 24, 2011 04:44 Messages: 731 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks for that tip Robert. My previous video editor has a route tracer plugin and I really miss that facility but don't want to upgrade to PD10 or PD11. That editor had the facility for third-party plugins to be added, something that Powerdirector lacks I believe.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 27. 2012 04:22

Regards,
Mike

Home-build system:
Intel Core i5 Quad Core 3.3GHz, 2 x 4GB DDR3 1333MHz,
Asus Nvidia GT440 1GB, 2 x Western Digital WD10EARS 1TB, 1 x Seagate ST1000DM010 1TB,
Windows 7 Prof 64-bit, PD 9 Ultra 64, PD 13 Ultimate 64
_Angus_
Senior Member Joined: Feb 19, 2011 19:59 Messages: 180 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Hi Angus,

When I had PDR9 installed, I used a free Routegenerator as did many PDR9 users, it is a very good app.

http://www.routegenerator.net/

Robert and Carl, thank you very much. I spent some time weighing up my options and decided I'd probably go with PD9's titling software (using a fullstop/period). But I'll investigate route generator and see what I think.

I think I can pull off the anim thing with an older version of Photoshop which has Image Ready included, and produce a .mov file - but I like the simplicity of keeping it in PD9, and the fact I can pan across the map just before creating a sequence of tracking dots.

Anyway, more research to do - thank you both.