Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Applying Custom Menu Template Freezes PDR11
Xerox [Avatar]
Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Aug 09, 2009 01:36 Messages: 446 Offline
[Post New]
After creating a custom menu template from scratch with "Create Menu," I tried to apply it to my project, but PDR11 froze after I clicked the "Apply to all pages" button.

With a process monitor I could see that PDR11 was trying to do something with the Sports3.mp3 audio file that is in the "Audio" folder for that particular custom menu template. I decided to delete the two files in the Audio folder and then started PDR11 again. The next time I clicked the "Apply to All Pages" button, PDR11 did not freeze and applied the menu. I created a DVD with the menu, and it played back properly.

If I want background music, I have to manually select it in the "Create Disc" workspace.

In my Windows XP system, the audio folder was located someplace similar to this: C:\Documents and Settings\xerox\My Documents\CyberLink\Custom Menus\3.0\Menu_000\Audio

Gateway DX4380, AMD A8-5500 Quad Core 3.2GHz with ATI Radeon HD 7560D; 16GB RAM; 1 TB SATA 7200 RPM; Windows 8 Pro 64-bit; PDR11, PDVD12.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Xerox,
I'm concerned about your report.

Please could you run through exactly the steps you took so it can be replicated on a different system (W7) by members. Might help.

I have sent in your findings to CyberLink. They may like to have the Custom Menu, if you could make that available please, let me know.

Dafydd

Xerox [Avatar]
Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Aug 09, 2009 01:36 Messages: 446 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Dafydd,

For the menu, just keep it as simple as possible:

1) Click the "Create Disc" tab.
2) Click "Create Menu" button.
3) Click "Save As" and give the template a name and then click "OK."
4) Click "Save" to exit the menu designer.
5) Select the menu and then click "Apply to All Pages." That's where it hangs.

That's all that's needed.
Gateway DX4380, AMD A8-5500 Quad Core 3.2GHz with ATI Radeon HD 7560D; 16GB RAM; 1 TB SATA 7200 RPM; Windows 8 Pro 64-bit; PDR11, PDVD12.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Xerox,
I followed what you did and I am unable to replicate the hang. Could be system specific.

I wonder if another editor can give this a go please?

Dafydd
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Xerox -

No. I cannot get mine to hang by following the steps you outlined. The only thing I modified was adding extra buttons in the Chapters/Scenes page.

It all functioned as expected, truncated thumbnails & all!

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Xerox [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you for the feedback. It proved very useful. I now have a theory. The problem is with the MP3 codec. I was able to substitute a WAV file for the MP3 file and apply the menu successfully.

So that I don't have to keep replacing files each time I create a menu, I have temporarily made a change in one of the PDR11 program folders: C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDirector11\Template\New\Audio

I replaced "Sports.mp3" with a Wav file and edited the "std_music.xml" file so it referenced the wav file instead of the Sports.mp3 file.

Next I started PDR11, created a new custom menu, then applied the menu to my project. There was no freeze, and the "Background music" text field was updated with the path of the wav file. The wav file played as the background music when I previewed the menu.

So until I figure out what the MP3 problem is, that is my workaround, which isn't that much of a workaround. Gateway DX4380, AMD A8-5500 Quad Core 3.2GHz with ATI Radeon HD 7560D; 16GB RAM; 1 TB SATA 7200 RPM; Windows 8 Pro 64-bit; PDR11, PDVD12.