Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Slideshow Shimmer
RobertWA [Avatar]
Senior Member Joined: Sep 20, 2008 00:18 Messages: 223 Offline
[Post New]
I placed some jpeg images on the timeline then burned a disc with no menu, and no transitions or any other effects. When the DVD was played on my DVD player, using both an analog and a digital TV, some of the images had a noticeable shimmer which detracted from the viewing experience. The shimmer is most apparent with images involving fine lines, especially diagonals, eg a tiled roof.

I then repeated the exercise, but this time I included a menu on the DVD (I used the Monopoly board menu) and when this DVD played there was no shimmer.

Has anybody else experienced this behaviour with PD11 Ultra?

Thanks

Robert
Kmot
Contributor Location: Northridge, CA Joined: Apr 18, 2012 01:45 Messages: 432 Offline
[Post New]
Sounds like you found a bug that needs to be reported to Cyberlink Tech. ~Tom~
All vodi
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Aug 21, 2009 11:24 Messages: 1431 Offline
[Post New]
RobertWA,

We need much more detail in order to help out.

Please see the top of this forum page on how to submit that. Win 10, i7
RobertWA [Avatar]
[Post New]
HDedit,

I'm not sure what information you need (presumably the specs of my computer).

However what I was interested in was whether anyone else had noticed this effect, perhaps by replicating the processes I outlined (and using re-writable discs to avoid producing too many coasters!).

The photos attached are two which particularly exhibited the shimmer, but some of the sample images provided with PD11 also showed it.

Robert
[Thumb - 01-Anchorage-25.jpg]
 Filename
01-Anchorage-25.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Old church
 Filesize
4474 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
206 time(s)
[Thumb - 01-Anchorage-23.JPG]
 Filename
01-Anchorage-23.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
Weaving
 Filesize
1808 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
213 time(s)
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Image shimmer is a long time issue with just about anything that has lines and is played on electronic equipment. That is why you never see newscasters wearing striped clothing.

If you have an image editing program, just add a one pixel blur to the images. This should keep you until Cyberlink has a cure.

Let us know if that works. .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Robert -

I'd guess that the images were moving in the slideshow - possibly using the Motion template? I've had that same issue a lot. As Steve says, it's a problem with images containing repeated fine patterns... and both the images you attached have that!

On top of that, you/we have the problem of what PD (still) does with motion. Added onto that, you're outputting to DVD quality. Those things combined don't make a very good recipe.

I just produced your two images in a motion slideshow. First as AVC 1920x1080 28MBps, with no distractingly obvious shimmer. It was there, but you had to concentrate to see it. Then I produced to MPEG-2 DVD HQ and there was moire all over it!

Here's an example http://youtu.be/moFK5iZD6BU

Steve's idea of a little blur might work - never tried it myself... but I have seen over-sharpened images misbehave terribly. I just try to avoid using photos with repeated patterns in motion slideshows.

All of that said, it does NOT answer your original post. That's a mystery. Without a menu, there was shimmer. With a menu, it was gone! I wouldn't have thought the menu (or not) would have any impact at all.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
All vodi
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Aug 21, 2009 11:24 Messages: 1431 Offline
[Post New]
RobertWA

I looked at your images and they fit many of the ones I typically work with, including the camera type. However, I do not have "shimmering" of any kind.

The solution lies in the fact that the identical DVD (?) that you burned with a MENU was OK. I will run a few tests on PD11 and PD10 to see if the issue is repeatable. Win 10, i7
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi HD -

Did you apply any kind of motion in the slideshow? If so, I want what you're having!

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
All vodi
[Post New]
RobertWA ,

I ran a quick render using your anchorage-church image in both standard DVD format and AVCHD, with and without the DVD menu option. Sorry, but no "shimmer".

Can you elaborate further on the problem ? Win 10, i7
RobertWA [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for the responses.

There was no motion in my slideshow, and I did not use any of the slideshow templates - simply put the photos on the timeline and burned the disc.

I have found in the past that applying motion to photos eg pan and zoom, tends to eliminate the shimmer problem, but I generally prefer my slides to have no motion.

And the slideshows worked fine, ie no shimmer, when I played the DVD's on my PC.

I haven't yet tried the blurring idea, but the real issue for me was why the menu should make a difference.

Thanks

Robert
All vodi
[Post New]
Robert,

Are you rendering to a standard definition DVD ? Win 10, i7
RobertWA [Avatar]
[Post New]
HDedit

Yes

Robert