Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Hardware upgrade - what?
Benjamin [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 14, 2007 15:22 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
Hi all,

I am looking to upgrade my computer system. The selections available are a little mind boggling. With regard to selecting processor type is it worth getting a Core 2 Quad over a Core 2 Duo and can PowerDirector (6) make use of the extra cores? Also what use does PowerDirector 6 make of the graphics card? Basically if I get a fast processor will a fast graphics card be of use or would a basic one suffice? (I don't indend to use it for games.)

If any one has any suggestions or tips I would be grateful.

Benjamin
Barry
Senior Member Location: N Attleboro, MA Joined: Jul 13, 2006 19:57 Messages: 295 Offline
[Post New]
If it's any help...
Toshiba laptop A135-S4467
core 2 duo T5200 1.6 ghz
2 gig ram
32 bit vista
intel 945 express chipset

any problems I have arise from me, or the software gods,
my machine has plenty of git up n go.

I think ANY core 2 duo should be fine. Join/SignUp to SeeMyWorldOnVideo. We're PowerDirector Video Editors. Are you a member? - JOIN TODAY!
David [Avatar]
Newbie Location: England Joined: Dec 09, 2007 19:18 Messages: 45 Offline
[Post New]
No, a high-end graphics card will not make the slightest difference. And a fast CPU will only help with the rendering, but if you make a long video, you will appreciate the faster rendering.

I've used both an Athlon X2 and a C2D with PD6 and they have performed about the same. Most of my machines are high-end, as they are both gaming systems and hard-core number crunchers, so the average PC might behave a little different.

I don't think a C2Q will have many benefits over a C2D for PD6, but obviously it makes sense to get a "G0" stepping Q6600 while they are so cheap.