Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
SSD HD any better?
Thanalas [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Athens, Greece Joined: Nov 20, 2011 02:13 Messages: 34 Offline
[Post New]
A friend suggested that I switch my 650GB hard drive with a SSD (OCZ Agility 3 240 GB,Internal,2.5" (AGT3-25SAT3-240G) (SSD) Solid State Drive)
Any of you guys know for sure if this will give me better processing and rendering times? Is it worth the money? Keep in mind that my “raw” video that I start working with is 50 – 70 GB…
Should I go for it?
Thanks
Thanos
GoPokes
Member Location: NE Oklahoma Joined: Jun 04, 2011 10:33 Messages: 80 Offline
[Post New]
From my experience. DxDiag-attached
I've run a 120 SSD OZC for awhile now. When I installed I only loaded OS and Programs that would only load on C drive, Cyberlink, McAfee, Lightroom4 and PD9 being on C, but Office 7 being one that loaded on another drive. I found to my suprise, several programs I use loaded on another drive. After loading, I had 48GB free space on C Drive, but after a year I am down to 40. I have tried to maintained that free space religiously. With the falling prices, I am looking to purchase a 240GB SSD OZC. Very easy to install if you follow directions. Let the 120GB SSD drive clone my C drive then replugged into motherboard and never looked back.

Was it worth the money. YES! My PC boot time is now 15 sec from start to Windows sign on. The PC rearly falls behind my PD9 editing. Occasionally when I move down the timeline quickly or big jumps, it takes seconds for the PC to catch up. Renedering time is always annoying, but that annoyance has also gotten shorter in time and less annoying. I am less than a minute renedering per video time. Can't back that up with actual numbers but very close.

I would recommend the SSD 240GB to anyone who will be dedicated to keep the free drive space free. Read maintenance on SSD Drive also.
 Filename
DxDiag 2012-02-20.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
46 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
268 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 23. 2012 03:40

Amature does it till he gets it right. A Pro does it till he can't get it wrong.
Thanalas [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Athens, Greece Joined: Nov 20, 2011 02:13 Messages: 34 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks for your reply GoPokes! I've been listening to the IT friends but hearing it from you "video" guys is different and feels more sure.
Thanos
GoPokes
Member Location: NE Oklahoma Joined: Jun 04, 2011 10:33 Messages: 80 Offline
[Post New]
Wish others with SSD would chime in. Where are you? The first on the mkt were 60 gb then 80 then 120 and prices weren't that good. I didn't get in them. but when the 120 price became where I could rationalize buying it and maintence wasn't problimatic I just had to give up buying shells and hooks.

Is there life for a forum on locations for looking at others work? Amature does it till he gets it right. A Pro does it till he can't get it wrong.
CubbyHouseFilms
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne, Australia Joined: Jul 14, 2009 04:23 Messages: 2208 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Thanalas

A quick search of the forum reveals lots of problems with SSD's and PowerDirector.

All the best

Happing editing

Best Regards

Neil
CubbyHouseFilms

My Youtube Channel
My Vimeo Channel
PD3.5, 5, 6 & 7. Computer: Dell Dimension 5150, Intel Pen. 2.80 GHz, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT 256MB, Windows XP Pro!!
PD8 Ultra v3022. Computer: Dell Studio 1747, Intel, i7 Q740 1.73 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 560v 1GB, Windows 7 Ult. 64
PD10 Ultra v2023. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD12 Ultra v2930. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD13 Ultim v3516. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD16 Live v2101 Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 16GB RAM, ATI Mob.Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
Director Suite 6: PowerDirector 16 Live, PhotoDirector 9, ColorDirector 6, AudioDirector 8

Cameras: Sony(s) HXR-NX5P, HXR-NX70P, NEX-VG10E, a6300 4k, HDR TG5E, GoPro 4 Black, Canon 6D DSLR

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
- PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!

Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
Cubby House is right, there are posts saying that users of PD with SSD's are having problemsI have used a SSD with Power Director 10 & now version 11. It is 180 GB in size. I wouldn't say that it reduces rendering times though. It has other benefits that I like regarding Power Director use.

Power director launches immediately and performs well in my opinion. I have never had a problem that I can say was caused by the SSD. I can burn all varieties of discs including Blu Rays, DVD's and AVCHD. I find that Power Director is extremely responsive mounted on a SSD drive. I currently have about 80 GB free space on my SSD. I would suggest that if you purchase a SSD that it has ample free space after you install whatever you plan to install on it. Your results may vary from mine. I can only offer my personal experience of using a SSD drive with Power Director installed on it an it has been a very positive one!

Best,

Kevin

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 26. 2012 08:07

Check out PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials and more! Over 5,000 Subscribers.