Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD 10 32 Bit?
SgtSaunders69 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 10, 2012 13:57 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
Should I be able to run PowerDirector 10 32 bit version on my current machine and OS (specs below) with a reasonable expectation of it working? I work exclusively with HD video and burn to DVD or BR disk.

P.S. ... PD9 works great for whatever that's worth!

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
System Model Latitude D630
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 11 GenuineIntel ~2194 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Dell Inc. A18, 12/6/2011
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)"
Total Physical Memory 3,072.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 2.10 GB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB

Thanks..
[Post New]
I would NOT recommend it.
-The processor is underpowered
-No dedicated GPU Memory
-Inadequate internal HDD space

Not that your machine is bad, I (my opinion) just would never suggest it for PD10..especially with your need for HD video editing.
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
I totally hear what Fred is saying!

But you can "buy" PD10, dont do the trial version of Power Director 10, get the full Power Director 10 Ultra Version and put it through its paces on your PC with your video files.

AND SEE WHAT YOU THINK!

If it doesn't work, then get a FULL REFUND IN 30 DAYS! NO QUESTIONS ASKED!!

But there is a chance that the new PD?? is going to be released within days, and even then, you can get your refund of PD10 and then purchase the new PD?? and/or suite instead.

I am a fan of trying it and seeing if it meets what you want to do with it.

A fan of Cyberlink products for many years!!

Kevin
Check out PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials and more! Over 5,000 Subscribers.
[Post New]
Me too! I am a HUGE fan of Powerdirector! But if someone asked me if they should enter a boat race around the world with their favorite 5 year old (the age of the Latitude D630) canoe..well, I would be fell bad to to tell them to "Give it a try, you can always get a refund for the entry fee, if you survive."

SgtSaunders69;
I suggest you proceed with caution. Yes, as Cap'n states, you can always give it a go, but the specification of your suggested laptop platform are far below the program requirements from Cyberlink and have been trouble for many who have tried to run Powerdirector because of the lack of resources.

The trial version will not handle HD video files anyway, so I agree with Kevin that this is not an option for your needs. Also be aware,that PD10 (and 11) Ultra are optimized for a 64BIT environment. They support 32BIT, but it is not the preferred environment and will disable some features.

It is possible to "force" PowerDirector to run in a mid-range 32BIT laptop, but as I am not IN sales, or running for office (no one elects a troll intentionally, anyway), I have no interest in selling product at a user's expense.
I am looking FORWARD to imminent release of PD11, but there is no possible way that it will have a smaller "hardware platform requirement" than PD10. Please, consider another machine platform for this great Powerdirector program if you decide to buy!!

Having said all that, I must also say, that if anyone can help you get a "canoe" to run the product, I am sure Cap'n can help you. He is very nautical!!

This message was edited 6 times. Last update was at Sep 18. 2012 19:01

Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
I have run Power Director from a canoe before while trying to edit HD video. Was it a smooth and pleasurable experience? Absolutely not! There were times that PD crashed for a variety of reasons. Did I build a more powerful PC to handle the demands of Power Director 10 using High Definition video footage as a result of my experience? Absolutely! Did it cost lots of money and was soon outdated? You betcha!!

If you keep your projects reasonable in length, I know it is possible to create reasonable length projects despite a marginally powered system. Is it the best idea to try this on a marginally powered PC or Laptop? Of course not! But it may be possible to get what you want done.

The bottom line is simple. To edit High Definition footage with any editing software requires a PC or Laptop to have some power to create longer and more complex projects.

I think that each individual trying out PD should evaluate its performance with informed and reasonable expectations. if it doesn't meet your expectations, then get your money back.

Kevin
Check out PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials and more! Over 5,000 Subscribers.
SgtSaunders69 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 10, 2012 13:57 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks for all the info everyone. I'll get busy working on my boss for a new machine immediately