Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Trimming clips in the time line does not also trim the audio
Aeropars [Avatar]
Member Joined: Jan 10, 2010 15:33 Messages: 65 Offline
[Post New]
Hello All,

Trying out the demo of PD10 but i can't find out how to trim a clip and get the audio to be trimmed as well. When I try to do a trim it trims the video but the audio track remains the same. As a consiquence, the entire audio of the timeline gets out of sync

How can i get clips trimmed with both audio and video at the same time?

THanks
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Aeropars,

1.Open your project
2. Move the slider to where you want to Split
3. Highlight BOTH clips, Ctrl+mouse click
4. Multi-Split button displays, select and split
Dafydd
[Thumb - sdukpd10-201206-pd119.png]
 Filename
sdukpd10-201206-pd119.png
[Disk]
 Description
Multi-Split
 Filesize
35 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
405 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Aug 15. 2012 03:45

Aeropars [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for the reply.

That would work fine for rough clips however there are times when I need to be almost frame perfect so in PD 8 I would normally right click the clip and select trim which opens up the pop-up trimmer and allows you to drill right down to the frame view.

Is there a way to do this for both audio and video as one in PD10?
Robert2 S
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Apr 22, 2009 05:57 Messages: 1461 Offline
[Post New]
You can stretch the timeline out to frame level if you need finer adjustments.

1. Click and hold on the timeline and move the mouse to the right.

2. I think PD8 has the same slider as PD10 in the bottom left corner which also stretches the time line. My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Aeropars,
Expand the track to frame level, see attached image.
Use the keyboard controls "," and "." for single frame movement
Dafydd

[Thumb - sdukpd10-201206-pd119a.png]
 Filename
sdukpd10-201206-pd119a.png
[Disk]
 Description
Frame level
 Filesize
41 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
395 time(s)

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Aug 15. 2012 05:12

Aeropars [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for the reply. Does that mean the pop-up clip trimmer is essentially redundant in PD10? What use does this feature serve if it doesn't alter the audio as well

That's how I've been editing my clips in PD for years so ideally I'd like to keep the same procedure that's so familiar to me.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 15. 2012 05:37

Robert2 S
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Apr 22, 2009 05:57 Messages: 1461 Offline
[Post New]
Most people here find the pop-up trim window confusing and prefer the split/multi split and delete mode.

I will say though if the pop up split window works for you, go for it, there always more than one way to skin a cat. My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
Aeropars [Avatar]
[Post New]
But The audio doesn't get trimmed as well as the video when using that.

If there's no way to use it effectively then I'll re-train myself to use the method you suggested.
Aeropars [Avatar]
[Post New]
I think I've foudn what I was looking for. If i used the method suggested here the multitrim button didnt remove the part of my clip that was not needed.

For example, I dont want to actually cut a clip into more sections but simply not use a the start, end or both. In the pop out trimmer you can select a start and end point from the clip. The multitrim doesnt seem to do that.

If you select both the audio and video track, right click and select "Link Video and Audio" then it seems to make the tracks act as one which is what I want to do.

I have to say my preference would be for this behaviour to be by default with the option of unlinking the audio track should I want to.