Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
i7 Sandy Bridge vs. Ivy Bridge
Harold_ [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 08, 2012 20:54 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Hello,

I need to build a new computer to run PD10. I understand that Ivy Bridge has a newer (better) implementation of Quick Sync, but that Sandy Bridge overclocks much better. Which one would be better? eg. Sandy Bridge i7-2600K or Ivy Bridge i7-3770K.

I intend to produce HD videos, typically 1 - 2 hours long.

It is my understanding that Quick Sync expedites transcoding. Does it also expedite rendering? What about overall performance while editing? Translation: Would Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge be better in terms of overall performance while editing, rendering times, and transcoding times?

Quick Sync issues aside, it seems that Ivy Bridge mostly brings improvement in onboard video, but this would be irrelevant to PD because a video card is necessary for good performance, right?

I have read that Intel used a lower grade internal thermal paste, which causes the Ivy Bridge to run warmer and to overclock less.

It's frustrating to build a new system with an older cpu, but I wonder if a moderately overclocked Sandy Bridge might be a better choice that the Ivy Bridge.

Thanks for your help!

Harold Nobles

PS. I have searched the forum for discussion on this topic, but if I missed something, please forgive me and point me to it!
James1
Senior Contributor Location: Surrey, B.C., Canada Joined: Jun 10, 2010 16:20 Messages: 1783 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
I don't think members here could say for sure as I am sure the members don't have a system with 'ivy bridge' processor installed. (could be wrong). I have the Sandy bridge i7 2600-3.4Gh processor and am quite satisfied with performance.
Jim Intel i7-2600@3.4Gz Geforce 560ti-1GB Graphic accelerator, windows 7 Premium 12GB memory

Visit GranPapa64's channel for your YouTube experience of the day!
Harold_ [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 08, 2012 20:54 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks Jim!

Yes, it seems to me that the 2600K would do a good job... we'll see if anyone else responds.

Harold
[Post New]
Quote: Hi,
I don't think members here could say for sure as I am sure the members don't have a system with 'ivy bridge' processor installed. (could be wrong). I have the Sandy bridge i7 2600-3.4Gh processor and am quite satisfied with performance.
Jim

By the way: are you using Intel Quick Sync feature with your PD10?

James1
Senior Contributor Location: Surrey, B.C., Canada Joined: Jun 10, 2010 16:20 Messages: 1783 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
No I am not I believe it requires a Sata drive set for
Raid configuration.
It is on my system nut not running.
Jim Intel i7-2600@3.4Gz Geforce 560ti-1GB Graphic accelerator, windows 7 Premium 12GB memory

[Post New]
Quote: Hi,
I believe it requires a Sata drive set for
Raid configuration.
Jim

Absolutely NOT.
There is no relation between disk configuration and QS feature.
Intel chipset on your MOBO is the only important thing (must be Z56 or H67 not P67)
James1
[Post New]
Hi Bankroot,
Ok I stand corrected..my MOBO is P8P67 LE rev b motherboard that explains it. Thanks for the information.
I was wondering about that. Any way my system works fine with PD10 Ultra and I am satisfied.

[Post New]
Shame
I hoped that somebody appeared who use QuickSync - i've got some sort of problems with it.
Anyway it is great that your PD10 works great!

cheers
James1
[Post New]
Hi Bankroot,
Oh sorry to hear about your problems..have you modified the ASus CMOS settings at all in advanced mode? I experimented a little with the cmos settings and got Windows experience index a little higher.
Also last week I ran Driver Manager program and it recommended a bunch of Intel upgrades available so I download and installed them and that fixed a few USB not 'recognized errors' i was getting.