Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Render Preview: how does it work?
bolda
Member Location: Liberec, Czech Republic Joined: Feb 02, 2011 15:10 Messages: 96 Offline
[Post New]
Hi there:

I'd just like to know what really happens when you use the Render Preview button, which becomes available on marking a section in the Time Line view using the yellow "arrows" next to the blue timeline slider. Can somebody explain it?

On my computer, when I use this feature, I see the rendering progress but nothing changes or happens when it's complete, neither do I see any possibilities of making any further use.

I figure the result is saved in a file or files as the rendered section remains mark so on reopening the project. I read the thread "Shadow files and Audio quality" where the files rendered this way are mentioned but I don't understand where I find them or how I tell them from other files. I've tried searching my harddisk by file timestamp to no avail.

Any insight appreciated...

Jirka
Dave456
Senior Member Location: Youngstown, Ohio Joined: Oct 30, 2010 06:46 Messages: 280 Offline
[Post New]
Hi bolda,

I never even noticed that before. When I tested it here, the area that was selected and rendered, a green line appeared in the timeline (IMG A), so something happened. Looking for files I came across new cache files located in C:\Users\Dave\Documents\CyberLink\PowerDirector\10.0\Preview Cache Files (IMG B). Seems to me its rendering only the sections you want.

Dave
[Thumb - preview cache.jpg]
 Filename
preview cache.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
IMG B
 Filesize
48 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
170 time(s)
[Thumb - render preview.jpg]
 Filename
render preview.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
IMG A
 Filesize
23 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
166 time(s)
HP Envy 17
Win10 Pro (64-bit) Intel i7 Core - 4510U @ 2.00GHz 2.60GHz
16GB ram
PowerDirector 11 Ultra 64-bit ver. 11.0.0.3625
Cyberlink Power2Go Deluxe 7.0.0.1827
PowerShot SX40HS
Canon Vixia
HalCon
Senior Contributor Location: Charlottetown, PEI Joined: Mar 01, 2008 10:36 Messages: 719 Offline
[Post New]
The 'Render Preview' can be useful if you are having trouble viewing a part of a project that constantly skips or stops.

As an example: Last might I was building a video wall with 16 videos on the screen at the same time. My system could not show the preview of the section I was working on because of the amount of work to be done with 16 tracks of a music video.

I used the 'Render Preview' over the section is question and could then watch the preview of the video with no stutters, skips or stalls.

When I am working on complicated sections of videos, I use this function quite a lot. It takes a few minutes to do the render but I am able to watch without the stutters, skips etc.

This little functioin can make my editing experience little better.

Hal
OS - Win11 Pro, Alienware R13, CPU - Intel Core I7-12700KF 12 CPUs), 16g DDR5 4400 RAM, Video - Geeforce RTX 3080ti 12g, PD11 & PD365
My YouTube
Dave456
Senior Member Location: Youngstown, Ohio Joined: Oct 30, 2010 06:46 Messages: 280 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks for the explaination HAL.. I see where this could be very useful.

Dave

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 20. 2012 06:15

HP Envy 17
Win10 Pro (64-bit) Intel i7 Core - 4510U @ 2.00GHz 2.60GHz
16GB ram
PowerDirector 11 Ultra 64-bit ver. 11.0.0.3625
Cyberlink Power2Go Deluxe 7.0.0.1827
PowerShot SX40HS
Canon Vixia
HalCon
Senior Contributor Location: Charlottetown, PEI Joined: Mar 01, 2008 10:36 Messages: 719 Offline
[Post New]
Dave,

On my system, and probably others, there is a sort of warning as to when using the 'Render Preview' might be needed/used.

If I am working on a complicated video and I get the little pop-up that says 'Rendering' on the right of the screen, I know that my system cannot handle what is on the timeline at that point. I will 'Render Preview' for that section and it makes the editing process much quicker and better.

As long as no changes are made to the section in question, it need only 'Render' once and will then play through with no problems.

It comes down to knowing when you might need to use this little tool to make your session go a little smoother.

Hope this helps.

Hal
OS - Win11 Pro, Alienware R13, CPU - Intel Core I7-12700KF 12 CPUs), 16g DDR5 4400 RAM, Video - Geeforce RTX 3080ti 12g, PD11 & PD365
My YouTube
bolda
Member Location: Liberec, Czech Republic Joined: Feb 02, 2011 15:10 Messages: 96 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks, Dave and Hal, for your input.

It sheds quite a bit of light on the topic but there is still a question for me left to answer:

I understand what the benefit of using this feature is now. I don't notice any difference because I don't have problems viewing my projects without such rendering.

The issue for me is I can't find the rendered file(s), which could be of some use (not such a big deal though).

I see, in Dave's screenshot, the same filename pattern as on the old thread I mentioned: team1_????????.mpg but I don't have any such files on my computer BUT my source files are *.m2ts AND I have the Enable HD video processing (shadow file) option checked in Preferences.

The folder analogous to that in Dave's screenshot is empty on my computer.

I do have the green bar above the timeline over a section I have tried to render this way, and that's why I think there is a rendered file saved somewhere but perhaps I'm wrong. I've tried searching for all *.mpg and all *.m2ts files on my computer, and sorted the search results by file date/time: nothing found...

Jirka
HalCon
[Post New]
Jirka,

The process does create temp files, but they would be of little use. It creates a small file for each time you see the 'render' bar run its course.

I have located them on my system, but I am not at home right now to give you a screen shot. They are for temporary use of the program only , and generally are only a second or so in length. PD stiches them together when you are previewing rather than have to do the render on the fly as it does during a normal/standard preview.

I use the function if I have multiple tracks or a combination of effects that cause my system to have problems with the preview. I know my system's limits pretty well.

Just to be clear, I do not do a 'Render Preview' on any part except those sections I know or suspect will give me preview problems. I find the time it takes to do the render saves me a lot of time in the long run.

Just my humble opinion, of course.

Hal
My YouTube
[Post New]
bolda

I've never used this tool, I test out of curiosity and work here, I see no reason to use these files once they are seguentados see the image
Location workbook PD. Export Folder

[Thumb - shadow file.jpg]
 Filename
shadow file.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
122 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
447 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 20. 2012 07:15

bolda
[Post New]
I see your point, playsound. To be frank, I wouldn't have even thought of using this feature if there hadn't been for yesterday's thread Clip Export. It occurred to me using the feature could be a good answer to the question asked there...

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 20. 2012 14:06