Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Color Boards disappeared??
BillHansen [Avatar]
Senior Member Joined: Jan 03, 2012 12:43 Messages: 178 Offline
[Post New]
While working on a small slide show this afternoon, I suddenly found that Color Boards were no longer available. I've used CBs many times for videos (and a few times previously while working up this slide show). They've always been immediately available when I click on the Content list. But now, when I click on Color Boards, all that shows up is a blank gray screen.

"All Content" and "Backgrounds" are still available.

I've closed PD 10, reopened it - also made up avery brief New Project - same thing, All Content and Backgrounds still available, CBs just a blank gray screen.

I'm hoping this is just due to my having pressed some key which temporarily blanked out CBs.

Any thoughts?

Bill Hansen
Ithaca NY, USA Bill Hansen
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Have you tried a re-install of Powerdirector?

Must be a file corrupted somewhere.

I have never seen your situation before.

A possible workaround is to use PNG files.

Attached are some PNG files I made a long time ago. They are 1920x1080 and various colors.

Perhaps you can use them.

Filename
Colorboards 1920.zip
[Disk]
 Description
1920x1080 PNG colorboards.
 Filesize
29 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
520 time(s)
Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

BillHansen [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks Carl - No, I haven't done an uninstall/reinstall. I knew that might be the only solution - but I was hoping there was some magical key I could press which would bring everything back, just as suddenly as it disappeared.

It's a strange situation - everything, including color boards, was working normally as I re-edited a very small slide show I'm working on, no editing at all except for the title and some transitions, no special effects. Then I decided to add another color board at the end of the slide show, and suddenly CBs were gone. As far as I could tell, everything else still worked normally, and it still does. I tried making up a new project (a tiny slide show) to see if that would allow CBs to return - tried a shutdown/restart of the computer - all the simple stuff. But I guess I'll have to do the uninstall/reinstall.

I'll post the results to this thread.

Bill Bill Hansen
Xerox [Avatar]
Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Aug 09, 2009 01:36 Messages: 446 Offline
[Post New]
Try the "Restore to Defaults" menu item. The button that drops down a menu is to the right of "Color Boards." The icon for the button is 7 grey squares and a green down arrow. You can also create your own colorboards with that menu. Gateway DX4380, AMD A8-5500 Quad Core 3.2GHz with ATI Radeon HD 7560D; 16GB RAM; 1 TB SATA 7200 RPM; Windows 8 Pro 64-bit; PDR11, PDVD12.
BillHansen [Avatar]
[Post New]
I'm sure I see the icon you're referring to but there's nothing in it which refers to restoring PD to defaults.

In my copy of PD10, that icon (furthest to the right on the menu bar which contains "All Content" etc - and that icon is 7 tiny squares with a downward pointing green arrow) is labelled "Library Menu". It allows various kinds of sorting and icon sizes, but I don't see anything about restoring defaults.

Can you point me to anything else which restores defaults? Bill Hansen
BillHansen [Avatar]
[Post New]
Rather than go directly to an uninstall/reinstall of PD10, I did a System Restore and a second restart of the computer, and has brought back the Color Boards.

Something did corrupt PD 10, but it must have been within the Systems somewhere.

Norton 360 (anti virus, anti malware), claimed to have found a "problem", which was removed during a very prolonged series of restarts, etc. Things are okay for the moment. Surprisingly, a scan with Malwarebytes showed no malware. If Malwarebytes missed malware that Norton did pick up, that's a "first" in my experience.

Wish me luck - it would still be nice to know how to set PD 10 back to its defaults, though I apparently don't need to do that now.

Bill Bill Hansen
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: ...it would still be nice to know how to set PD 10 back to its defaults

Hi Bill,

As Xerox mentioned, you should have the option shown below, in your PD10 color boards menu.

[Thumb - Restore CB Defaults.png]
 Filename
Restore CB Defaults.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
45 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
436 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 13. 2012 12:38

Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
BillHansen [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks Cranston - I see it now, and I'll bookmark your note so I won't be able to forget this. When I looked earlier, I was looking at the menu bar which appears with "All Content". I didn't realize Xerox meant the menu bar for "Color Boards" - but of course that would be the one to use!!
Bill Bill Hansen
AlpacaJackie53 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 04, 2011 16:17 Messages: 19 Offline
[Post New]
Wow, thank you Xerox and Cranston!!! Just came across this thread, as I was having this exact problem with PD 11.0.0.2215.

Restore to defaults did the trick! Thank you.