Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Turning Off Excess Background Processes
BJ1200 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 10, 2012 13:31 Messages: 28 Offline
[Post New]
Hi All,

For our use, it appears we only need one process running (PowerDVD12.exe). But there can 7-8 more running in the background. We can't find a way to turn some of them off.

We only need (PowerDVD12.exe) for v12 Ultra to work with our purpose. We are trying to disable the rest.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

COMPONENT SERVICES:
CLMSMonitorServicePDVD12 - CyberLink PowerDVD 12 Media Server Monitor Service: Changed Automatic to Disabled
CLMSServerPDVD12 - CyberLink PowerDVD 12 Media Server Service: Changed Automatic to Disabled
CLHNServiceForPowerDVD12 - Changed Automatic (Delayed) to Disabled

MSCONFIG - STARTUP TAB:
Cyberlink DRMEngine - Uncheck this DOES NOT disable the service from running after opening PDVD
Cyberlink PowerDVD 12 - Uncheck this DOES NOT disable the service from running after opening PDVD

HOW DO YOU DISABLE THESE? They do not show up in Component Services.
We don't want to keep manually turning them off in Task Manager every time we open PDVD.

PowerDVD12ML.exe
PowerDVD12Agent.exe
PowerDVD12DRMEngine.exe
PowerDVD.exe

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jul 01. 2012 13:35

Jeff R 1 [Avatar]
Senior Member Joined: Jan 09, 2010 14:05 Messages: 176 Offline
[Post New]
Here are some explanations as to what those processes are for some understanding in case you haven't found this page.

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/23102.page

This assumes you're running Windows 7.

Go back into the task manager and click on Services in the heading bar. In that Window find Services again in the lower right corner.
The Power DVD12 applications should show up in that list, in there you can choose to permanently keep them from running or starting up.
Double click on the desired service and a new window will come up where you can disable the service in the drop-down box.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 02. 2012 12:48

peterpondus [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 17, 2012 02:34 Messages: 29 Offline
[Post New]
Quote:

HOW DO YOU DISABLE THESE? They do not show up in Component Services.
We don't want to keep manually turning them off in Task Manager every time we open PDVD.

PowerDVD12ML.exe
PowerDVD12Agent.exe
PowerDVD12DRMEngine.exe
PowerDVD.exe

Find them in your powerdvd folder (in program files) and rename them (or delete them). PowerDVD will start just fine and won't complain that they are missing. The media error you get by just following the steps you already did, will also disappear.
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Are they starting when you start the program or are they starting at boot? You would be surprised at how many do.

1) You can use Windows msconfig - start up, uncheck the ones you don't want to make sure they don't start;
2) If you are not sure what is absolutely needed, download and run the free "Soluto" software. Stop all the no-brainers and be careful with the optional ones. .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
peterpondus [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 17, 2012 02:34 Messages: 29 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Are they starting when you start the program or are they starting at boot? You would be surprised at how many do.

1) You can use Windows msconfig - start up, uncheck the ones you don't want to make sure they don't start;
2) If you are not sure what is absolutely needed, download and run the free "Soluto" software. Stop all the no-brainers and be careful with the optional ones.

The processes he mentions are all started by PowerDVD at launch (program startup, not windows startup). I have been through exactly the same thing with my media PC (also trying to slim it down).

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 02. 2012 15:47

stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Quote:
Quote: Are they starting when you start the program or are they starting at boot? You would be surprised at how many do.

2) If you are not sure what is absolutely needed, download and run the free "Soluto" software. Stop all the no-brainers and be careful with the optional ones.

The processes he mentions are all started by PowerDVD at launch (program startup, not windows startup). I have been through exactly the same thing with my media PC (also trying to slim it down).

True unless you have PowerDVD set to start at boot.

Have you been through all the options including the "Advanced" ones?

For my benefit, why are these an issue? Are you using a small SSD?

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jul 04. 2012 09:27

BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
[Post New]
The issue is that no program like Power DVD needs to run in the background. To have to go to the task manager every time you close Power DVD, is a hassle. There should be a way to use the program when you want and close it when you want without having to do extra steps. calvin
Jeff R 1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
This thread is 2 years old, and there is a way to permanently shut the processes of if you've read through he post _ if you want.
Things have changed so much though I am wondering if this even applies any more. Like they did away with msconfig in W8/8.1.
[Post New]
I know the post is old. I did read the post, but my understanding of it is to completely disable Power DVD 12 from running. I do not have it set to start when my computer starts. I have it set it in my auto play for blur-ray disc. I also have windows 8, where you can access everything in the task manager that you use to have to do through msconfig. So when I play a blue ray disc, and close PowerDVD, I have to go into the task manager and end the task of Power DVD which remains in my running programs on the task bar.
So maybe I misunderstood what was mentioned in the post, also the risk I could run removing some of the files suggested, I am not willing to take. I had hoped there would be some solution to eliminating Power DVD 12 to contentiously run after being started; and stopped. calvin
stevek
[Post New]
Have you tried turning off the "library " function? That was a cure in a later thread that is if you don;t need it to catalog your files. Search help for how to do it. .
[Post New]
Will try that and get back and let you know how it went. Thx for taking the time to reply. calvin
Jeff R 1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: I know the post is old. I did read the post, but my understanding of it is to completely disable Power DVD 12 from running. I do not have it set to start when my computer starts. I have it set it in my auto play for blur-ray disc. I also have windows 8, where you can access everything in the task manager that you use to have to do through msconfig. So when I play a blue ray disc, and close PowerDVD, I have to go into the task manager and end the task of Power DVD which remains in my running programs on the task bar.
So maybe I misunderstood what was mentioned in the post, also the risk I could run removing some of the files suggested, I am not willing to take. I had hoped there would be some solution to eliminating Power DVD 12 to contentiously run after being started; and stopped.

Sorry I forgot this was a thread about DVD12, which I don't actually have any more, I have DVD13, so for what it's worth here are the two processes in services that I disabled and turned off.
There is also a file that runs that is not in services, which I turned off and DVD13 continued to play a Blu-ray. Here is that file.

http://www.shouldiblockit.com/powerdvd13agent.exe-9119b48b62562e8094fcbccc9d21f16b.aspx

Here is a screen shot of the two services that I disabled and stopped.

[/img]