Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Save project menu icon DID NOT SAVE PROJECT!
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
I've been using PD10 since it came out, and haven't noticed this problem until this weekend. I always save, save, save during my editing, yet on Sat AM I had been editing for about 3 hours when PD10 (v10.0.0.1703) froze when editing text in a title box and my PC wouldn't respond.

I rebooted my computer and opened the .pds file again, only to find that it was unchanged from the evening before I stared in disbelief and tried to figure out how my 100+ saves that morning had not occurred, and before I smashed my computer through my desk I checked my preferences and was greatly relieved to see that the autosave function was enabled AND had actually worked.

I was able to recover my project from about 3 minutes before the crash, and in checking the date/time of the original project file I found that it had NOT been changed since the night before.

Has anyone else had this happen? One guess is that with the latest version, perhaps the file is actually only saved when the program is closed, rather than every time the Save Project icon is clicked. Each time I hit the save project icon, the * after the project name would disappear, and I saw nothing at all out of the ordinary. I did create a new project today using the troublesome icon, and the Save As dialog box popped up as expected and the new project was saved.

I have no idea how this non-save situation happened, and I've attached a dxdiag file in case there's something helpful in there. Please let me know if this is a bug or something unique to my setup.

Thanks!
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
64-bit DxDiag file
 Filesize
29 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
475 time(s)

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
You should look for the autosave project files, They are saved every 10 minutes by default.

Default location:
Powerdirector 10 Autosave default location.

AutoSave is located in a hidden folder.
C:\Users\PCName\AppData\Roaming\CyberLink\PowerDirector\10.0\AutoSave

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks for the quick response.

I said that in my post, and that's what kept that morning from being a complete disaster. The main problem is that PD10 didn't actually save my project during any of the 100+ times that I clicked on Save Project. If I hadn't had auto-save turned on, I'd have been screwed. I'm lucky that I'd changed the save time to 5 minutes, too.

Any thoughts on what went wrong with Save Project?

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi optodata,
We'd be guessing to know what went wrong at your end in this instance. Perhaps PD failed to load correctly initially etc.

When you save, do you, as I do, opt for File > Save project as, and then save to a new file name? I save to a new project named numerically. Example: seaside001.pds would be followed by seaside002.pds and save/exported to a location on my hard drive.

Please make sure you alter the default Export location set in Preferences, away from the Program Files folder.

Clicking "save" in PD can cause an overwrite failure on larger project. Auto save is a final back up used to rescue a situation.

Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 26. 2012 05:14

jerrys
Senior Contributor Location: New Britain, CT, USA (between New York and Boston) Joined: Feb 10, 2010 21:36 Messages: 1038 Offline
[Post New]
It is entirely possible that PD holds the project file open, in which case its "last written" timestamp wouldn't change. I'm pretty sure that timestamp is only updated when the file is closed. Jerry Schwartz