Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Are You Guys Kidding Me?
BJ1200 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 10, 2012 13:31 Messages: 28 Offline
[Post New]
So I got a Dell computer, it came with PDVD v9.6. I upgraded to v11 and noticed some very weird changes in the GUI. So I did the best I could and got frustrated. I even posted a lengthy thread with pics showing those weird changes. I eventually upgraded to v12 and didn't see many improvements but it rocked my world with what I discovered.

I got a new PC and changed hard drives which required a fresh install of Windows 7 (64). Because CyberLink pushes upgrades, I had to install v9, then go through the steps to upgrade to v11, then repeat the upgrade process and install v12. I was not afforded the option to simply install v12 with a key. I had to go through a step-up process from one old version, upgrading to the next old version, to the now current version. After that I had to apply the upgrade patch. What if I was a customer for 10 years - would I be stepping up through 8-10 applications? This is the only way they said their system works. See below.

MY TWO PROBLEMS:
  • There are a tremendous amount of processes that now run in the background on this new PC. I've seen as many as 11, that's right, I said ELEVEN. There is no need for most of these and no option to turn any of them off via the application. This is just horrible programming by any standard. You have to get into and make changes to Component Services, MSCONFIG, Task Manager, etc. I've probably spent 12-14 hours reading up on how to deal with these areas of a PC. Even then, if not using a media server, you still get pop up warning messages. It hogs up to .5GB of memory at times even without a movie.

• There is an incredible amount of garbage installed on my PC now because of this "step up" process. Support refused to help me, stated that is the only way to install a current application. They would not provide me a different key or links to install v12. Again, this is just ridiculous in my opinion. I am unable to show you all the crap in the Registry, but there is a Massive amount of it because of this goofy process. Just look as the three examples below. Keep in mind this is a band new OS where the goal was to just install PDVD12.

There are so many of these entries in Windows Firewall
    that it's impossible to show all of them with one screen shot.

Here are ONLY two of the many locations that have
    multiple versions stuffed with files. These are not empty folders.

And let's not forget all the C++ packges that get installed. This is just unbelievable.
    All I needed was a different key for v12 and a place to download the application.

I am beyond frustrated knowing I have a new machine, fresh install, and now have this MASSIVE amount of garbage installed on my PC. I would hope the President of Cyberlink or the Executive staff in California will see this thread.

This message was edited 5 times. Last update was at Jun 25. 2012 02:52

peterpondus [Avatar]
    Newbie Joined: May 17, 2012 02:34 Messages: 29 Offline
    [Post New]
    First of all, I understand your frustration. The people behind PowerDVD make the assumption that you need/want all the extra gimmicks they put in PowerDVD 12. I for one only need the movie playback feature, so I shortened the list a bit.

Here is what I did:

1) Go into registry and disable all PowerDVD related startup keys. If you are more comfortable using msconfig, by all means use this.
    2) Disable all PowerDVD related services.

By now one would think one is home free, but as you stated, there is still an error stating that you cannot connect to the media server. This is where step 3 comes in

3) Start PowerDVD (and ignore the media server error). Fire up task manager and locate all processes related to PowerDVD (they usually have the text "PDVD" or "PowerDVD" in them. Do a file search in your program files\cyberlink folder for .exe. Rename all the .exe files you found in the task manager to something else (or delete them if you feel brave), except for "PowerDVD.exe", "PowerDVD12.exe", "PowerDVDCinema.exe" (i think that's the name) and some file called PDlaunch something... When you do this, the media error will go away and you will use a lot less resources playing movies in PowerDVD. Ofcourse you will have crippled all other functionality, but if you don't need it.. hey It works fine as a standard DVD/BD player even with the renames.

I hope this makes sense.

And about the multiple C++ libraries, don't worry about them. They use up a little space on your harddrive, but I am sure you got some to spare.
    BJ1200 [Avatar]
    Newbie Joined: Feb 10, 2012 13:31 Messages: 28 Offline
    [Post New]
    Thanks Peter.

Your response speaks to my issue. You have to a be a computer expert to figure out how to dissinfect your computer from all the junk installed by the upgrade process. It's a flawed process that starts with the sales team at Cyberlink trying to shove discounted upgrades at you all the time.