Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
prevent blu ray drive spin down (or extend timer?)
peterpondus [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 17, 2012 02:34 Messages: 29 Offline
[Post New]
I know WinDVD supports extension of or disabling of optical drive spin down (to prevent judder when pausing the movie for more than the default timeout value of approx 2 min). Is there a way to get PowerDVD to keep the disc spinning for a longer period of time (at least 30 minutes). Alternatively, is there a tool that does this for Windows 7 64bit? (I'm fairly certain Nero Drivespeed doesn't work for win7 64bit).
peterpondus [Avatar]
[Post New]
I tested with Media Player Classic Home Cinema, and there is no "resume" judder with this player. Is there a way to adjust PowerDVDs read ahead buffer?
CyberLink-Michael [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
there is no such option in PowerDVD.

if you encounter technical issues with PowerDVD please feel free to contact our technical support team.

br
Michael Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan
peterpondus [Avatar]
[Post New]
I had an open support case for 9 days now, and so far they haven't been able to tell me anything except upgrade the software (which didn't help), upgrade the firmware of the drive (which already is upgraded to newest firmware). The issue is centered around drive spin down, but this hasn't been accepted or commented on at all for that matter. I must admit I don't have very high hopes of this getting resolved at all with the current pace

Everything works swell until the movie is paused long enough for the drive to spin down. After resuming playback the movie stutters for a short while, until the spin up is complete, then the rest of the movie plays fine. I was looking for a way to make PowerDVD behave like a normal bluray player, and simply resume playback I tried Media Player Classic Home Cinema (which does not support bluray java), and I get a nonstutter resume after drive playback, so I am concluding that my setup is capable of proper playback. If only there was some way of PowerDVD reading a few seconds ahead, so it could use a memory/harddrive buffer, when the drive was spinning up and then switch back. From what I gathered from browsing around the forum, a few others had the same issue as I am having. I am open to any kind of solution that would make the jerkiness disappear after a bathroom break. Even brief stuttering after resume of playback really ruins the movie illusion for me.
peterpondus [Avatar]
[Post New]
I managed to solve the problem by installing a German product called cd-bremse, which enabled me to increase the spindown time to 20+ minutes.