Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Upgrading my graphics card
andyyoung [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 06, 2009 11:35 Messages: 20 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
I have a stock Dell Inspiron 546 Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 32-bit
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5400+ (2 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
Memory: 6144MB RAM With an ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics card. The Dell casing is one of the slimline ones and the PSU is 300 watts.
What would be the best graphics card to install to get the best out of PD10 without changing the power supply?
Thanks in advance

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 02. 2012 06:18

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Andy -

If it's a slim line case, I think you'll need to look only at low profile GPUs, like this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161397&nm_mc=OTC-pr1c3grabb3r&cm_mmc=OTC-pr1c3grabb3r-_-Video+Cards-_-Hightech+Information+System+Ltd.-_-14161397

One of the more technically advanced members might be able to confirm that... or tell me I'm barking up the wrong tree.

Cheers - Tony

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
andyyoung [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Tony,
I looked at that one but it says the minimum power supply is 400 watts.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Andy -

You'll need better advice than I'm capable of giving. My understanding is that power requirements for GPUs are often overstated.

Have you spoken to the Dell people?

Hang in there. Someone clever about this stuff will pop in soon.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
babindia
Senior Contributor Location: India Joined: Aug 16, 2007 06:11 Messages: 884 Offline
[Post New]
What is PSU specs > wattage PC specs :
OS Windows 10.0 Pro
MB - AS rock Z77 extreme 11
Intel 3770K @ 4.0 Ghz OC
Gskill 32 GB RAM 1800 Mhz
6 TB HDD, SSD bootable
nVidia ASUS GTX 660 Ti
BenQ 22" LCD monitor 1920x1080

andyyoung [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: What is PSU specs > wattage

PSU is 300 watts
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
I've been trying to find what kind of card/or chip you have in that computer. All I could find was that it comes with an on-board chip. Do you have a real card or just the chip? If you have the chip, do you have a slot if you want to put in the card? What kind of slot?

Have you updated the drivers for what you have? Do not trust Windows to find the most updated drivers.

Go to Dell first to get updated drivers. I looked on line and wasn't sure but you can go here to see if AMD/ATI has something for you. The last updates for something similar were from May of this year. Often just updating the drivers will give you major improvements in speed and other abilities.

Go here (http://support.amd.com/us/Pages/AMDSupportHub.aspx) and see if the detect and install will work for you. .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
andyyoung [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: I've been trying to find what kind of card/or chip you have in that computer. All I could find was that it comes with an on-board chip. Do you have a real card or just the chip? If you have the chip, do you have a slot if you want to put in the card? What kind of slot?

Have you updated the drivers for what you have? Do not trust Windows to find the most updated drivers.

Go to Dell first to get updated drivers. I looked on line and wasn't sure but you can go here to see if AMD/ATI has something for you. The last updates for something similar were from May of this year. Often just updating the drivers will give you major improvements in speed and other abilities.

Go here (http://support.amd.com/us/Pages/AMDSupportHub.aspx) and see if the detect and install will work for you.

Hi Steve, well I updated the driver via the link you provided and my windows experience rating has now gone down from 3.6 to 3.5
I have 2X 16? pin slots empty to place a proper card in. It just has to be a slimline card because of the case
Bubba in TX
Senior Contributor Location: Central Texas Joined: Dec 12, 2009 21:32 Messages: 1332 Offline
[Post New]
Isn't that what Cranston has? I know its a Dell slim case. He recently updated his power supply and card.

They do make Higher wattage power supplies for the Dell slim case boxes... __________________________________________
Windows 8 Pro 64 bit

CyberLink PowerDirector 10 Tutorials
PDtoots PowerDirector Tutorials

**NOTICE**
When you are asked to provide a DXDIAG you go the following link and do part "B". Your posted specs are NOT what we are looking for as they tell us nothing. The specs on the box of your computer mean nothing. The DXDIAG shows us how your computer is configured as it runs.

DXDIAG Link
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
"Hi Steve, well I updated the driver via the link you provided and my windows experience rating has now gone down from 3.6 to 3.5
I have 2X 16? pin slots empty to place a proper card in. It just has to be a slimline card because of the case."

That is negligible and those numbers don't mean much. What is causing that low number - the video chip or something else?

You have "PCIe x16(1), PCIe x 1(1), PCI(2)"

Make sure any card you decide to get is in one of the free slots. and is either the pci or the pic-e card (1X or 16X).

Look at your manual and it will tell you which slot is which. I agree with the earlier poster to contact Dell to see what they suggest. You don't have to buy it from Dell.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 02. 2012 12:13

BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Isn't that what Cranston has? I know its a Dell slim case. He recently updated his power supply and card

Hi Bubba,

For what it's worth. No, My older Dell 530 desktop is not the slimline box. I think that’s the 530B (or something).
When the original power supply died a while back, it was replaced with a 650 watt PS. And the original ATI HD3450 card was replaced with a HD6750.
I’m still running XP on the desktop. W7 on the i7 laptop.

Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
jerrys
Senior Contributor Location: New Britain, CT, USA (between New York and Boston) Joined: Feb 10, 2010 21:36 Messages: 1038 Offline
[Post New]
Quote:
My understanding is that power requirements for GPUs are often overstated.

When they say that a particular card requires a 700W power supply, they aren't saying that the card itself will draw 700W; they're saying that you probably need a 700W power supply to power the entire computer.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 03. 2012 20:28

Jerry Schwartz
babindia
Senior Contributor Location: India Joined: Aug 16, 2007 06:11 Messages: 884 Offline
[Post New]
With 300 W it is not advisable to go for a high end graphics card. Please check which of the graphics card would suit the best from the site of the graphics card manufacturer. PC specs :
OS Windows 10.0 Pro
MB - AS rock Z77 extreme 11
Intel 3770K @ 4.0 Ghz OC
Gskill 32 GB RAM 1800 Mhz
6 TB HDD, SSD bootable
nVidia ASUS GTX 660 Ti
BenQ 22" LCD monitor 1920x1080

andyyoung [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Guys,
Thanks for all of your input. After doing a pretty intensive search and probably upgrading my PC later this year I went for a middle range card that didn't require replacing the PSU but would give me faster encoding times. I went for the Asus AMD Radeon HD 6670 Graphics Card from Amazon. If it doesn't produce what I am happy with I will just return it.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 04. 2012 03:58

andyyoung [Avatar]
[Post New]
Just an update. Card arrived today and in 2 minutes it was installed. drivers updated, monitor attached. WOW, what a difference. Encoding a film using PD10 took a third of the time normally, PC runs quiet as a mouse, Windows experience rating for graphics has gone up from 3.5 to 7.2! All for £40.
stevek
[Post New]