Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDVD won't play most of my DVDs
Steffen [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 06, 2006 15:09 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Hi there,

At the moment I'm back to version 5. Some less feature but it works fine.

Version 7 - Standard - installed well and didn't show any exception error or other messages. Okay, I tried to view "I, robot". Thats happend:

Trying to get access to the DVD-Drive. It's an Aopen DUW 1608/ARR - FW 1.10/1.11. HDD starts to work, and then PowerDVD tried to get data from my CD-RW drive because it couldn't find something in Aopen drive. And finally no film played and after some trials/tests/tries (?) more, DVD drive was set to PIO-Mode. *grh*

One fact more, AFAIR: After installing and starting diagnostic tool, it says using XP and do not change DMA settings. Okay. but for DVD drive the checkbox wasn't checked. The other box for CD-RW was checked and both were disabled. DVD-Drive uses UDMA-4, taken from device manager.

I've written to support, waiting for her reply.

BTW: I tried PowerDVD 7 demo but same shit happens.

Kind regards, Steffen

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 07. 2006 02:41

Steffen [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hello there,

I'v got an answer from CL support. Here it is:
vcyashpal Reply 2006/09/07 15:59
Dear Kother,

Thank you for contacting Cyberlink Online Customer Support.

We understand that you are facing problem while reading contents of DVD in PowerDVD 7.0.

Kindly note that the issue that you are facing can be due to various factors and we need to isolate the issue properly, for that kindly try the steps suggested below, even if you have reinstalled the software:

1. Please make sure that you are logged in using "Administrator" user name (In Windows 2000/XP).

2. If you are unable to read the contents of the DVD via "MyComputer" (Windows Explorer), then it means that your DVD drive is not detecting the DVD media, in this case you have to contact DVD drive manufacturer.

3. Make sure that you have sufficient free space on your C:\ drive (apart from the Paging / Virtual Memory) and also make sure that the Paging / Virtual Memory on your HDD should be at least 1 GB.

4. Please visit your DVD-ROM manufacturer's official website to update the firmware for your DVD-ROM model.

5. Please click on the link below to update DirectX drivers (DirectX 9.0c)

default.aspx

6. If you are still facing problem in playing commercial video DVDs, then we suggest you to follow the steps given below :

(1) Please uninstall PowerDVD (by following steps)

(a) Start --> Programs --> Cyberlink PowerDVD (uninstall it). Check the registry for any existing PowerDVD keys and delete them using steps (b) and (c).

(b) Start --> Run (keyin ""regedit"") --> HKEY_Current_User --> Software --> Cyberlink --> PowerDVD and/or PDVD (delete the folder)

(c) Start --> Run (keyin ""regedit"") --> HKEY_Local_Machine --> Software --> Cyberlink --> PowerDVD and/or PDVD (delete the folder).

(d) Search and delete folder named Cyberlink and PowerDVD, if exists. Restart your system.

(7) Update VGA and Sound card driver. Contact your computer manufacturer to get the updates.

Reset your display settings, screen area to 1024 x 768 or 1280 x 1024, color depth to 16 bit and monitor refresh rate to 60 HZ.

(8 ) Install PowerDVD 7.0 program.

(9) To avoid any compatibility issues, please close all
- other software and utility applications
- including virus scans, screen saver and
- instant messaging software
- UNINSTALL ANTI-SPYWARE installed on your system
- close any popup blocker installed.

before you launch PowerDVD.

(10) If issue persists try using other commercial DVD titles using PowerDVD and Windows Media Player (separately).

(11) If issue persists also try to play media files from the local hard disk drive using the PowerDVD software.

Please let us know the results (whether you are able to play those DVDs using Windows Media Player and also whether you are able to play movie files of the local hard disk drive using the PowerDVD software.)

For immediate response, please use this reference:

index.jsp

We appreciate the time you took in writing us and we hope the information provided in this email helps you with your concern.

Please feel free to contact us back for any further clarification in this issue or for any assistance related to Cyberlink Products.

Thank You and Best Regards

What does Cyberlink think, how stupid (blöd) I am? Many people tried to view DVDs using PowerDVD version 7 and have written to CL about their problems with it. Hoping for patch ASAP.

So long, Steffen
Steffen [Avatar]
[Post New]
Here the latest reply from CL support.
vcumesh Reply 2006/09/08 23:40
Dear Kother,

Thank you for contacting Cyberlink Online Support.

I understand that PowerDVD won't play most of your commercial DVDs

Please make sure you have a DVD Drive & your DVD drive is working fine.

WTH? I can distinguish between CD drive and DVD drive. There are no problems with my Aopen DVD drive. It works fine!

Try few other commercial DVDs.

Try to play some movie files like .mpeg from your hard drive.

Try some other software as well like Win Media Player to see if DVD plays fine.

How many times should I tell CL that other players play my DVDs?

Please try the following steps to resolve this issue:

(1) Please uninstall PowerDVD (by following steps)

(a) Start --> Programs --> Cyberlink PowerDVD (uninstall it). Check the registry for any existing PowerDVD keys and delete them using steps (b) and (c).

(b) Start --> Run (keyin ""regedit"") --> HKEY_Current_User --> Software --> Cyberlink --> PowerDVD and/or PDVD (delete the folder)

(c) Start --> Run (keyin ""regedit"") --> HKEY_Local_Machine --> Software --> Cyberlink --> PowerDVD and/or PDVD (delete the folder).

(d) Search and delete folder named Cyberlink and PowerDVD, if exists. Restart your system.

(2) Update VGA and Sound card driver.Contact your computer manufacturer to get the updates.

How many times again? Therefore PDVD 7 wouldn't work.

Please visit your DVD-ROM manufacturer's official website to update the firmware for your DVD-ROM model.

Done! PDVD wouldn't play DVDs.

...some shit about reset display settings and how to get some diagnostic files...

Please feel free to contact us back for any further clarification in this issue or for any assistance related to Cyberlink products.

Thank you and best regards

I'm agree with Eclipse. Using PDVD 7 is BETA testing for CL. CL earns money and replies to support inquiries with 0815 texts. No real help. I'm mad at CyberLink.
noddy [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 01, 2006 23:28 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Once I was facing the DVD playback problem in my computer. I had installed PowerDVD along with other DVD playback softwares. I contacted CL support and they provide me the steps to resolve the issue.

Thanks to CL support.... my issue resolved ...

Friend I suggest you to uinstall other DVD playback softwares including power dvd and then reinstall only power dvd.
Kenneth [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 27, 2009 20:16 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I don't get any sound from movie DVDs using PowerDVD7. I've already up graded my audio drivers. Windows Media Player and VCL play the movies fine. Why can't I get sound using PowerDVD v7.
Ed [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 06, 2016 20:27 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
My computer has a corrupt DVD Rom Driver:
Matshita SW 840. And no one has been able to solve that problem.