Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
relink files
EXR [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 26, 2012 20:32 Messages: 27 Offline
[Post New]
Dear friends, i have not been working on the project for the last two weeks. Today when i opened my project, it asked me to link back some of the files. I can choose to "browse," "ignore," or "ignore all." Normally this will only happen if i move that particular file to somewhere else.

For example, if i have a picture file call DSC0001 and it is stored at A folder. When i move DSC0001 to B folder, then the software will ask to re-link this file call DSC0001. I did not move or change anything, how come it will ask me to re-link? This makes me feel very strange.

The problem now is, i have some video files which has got the same file name. For example, i have 2 different videos with the same file name call 0001. As for why do i have 2 different videos with the same file name call 0001, emm, this one i think it must have something to do with the memory card. For example, when i use card A to shoot and then when the memory is full, i use card B to shoot. The file name rightfully should be different between card A & B. I'm not sure why the file name is the same. And because of this, each file name i will have 2 different videos. I suppose it is due to the different memory card brand. Anyway, thats beside the point.

The point here is, If i choose to "browse," i'm not sure which 0001 it is referring to. And if i based on "guess-work", after i re-link, the whole project is going to be in a big mess. Because the 0001 i re-link may not be in the correct position or location.
1Nina
Senior Contributor Location: Norway, 50km southwest of Oslo Joined: Oct 08, 2008 04:12 Messages: 1070 Offline
[Post New]
Hi EXR,

the way I read your post, and forgive me if I read it wrong or don’t understand your point,
my first impression is that you should make a structure to how you store your clips.
Name folders, name /rename clips. Maybe create a folder with your projectname and have subfolders in there. “Put your eggs in the same basket”, so to speak, but make sure that photos and videoclips are in different folders. If you pre-render, create a folder for those. The idea is to have
an organized structure of the stuff you use for your project.
As for files with same name ; If I have DC0001 and then try to import to the computer another
file with the same name, I get the question: would you like to replace? Upon answering NO, the new file will be named DC0001(1). I usually re-name what I’m using.
Try “browse” from “photos” or “videos” in windows, find what you’re after and rename.

Nina
Just something.
https://www.petitpoisvideo.com
James1
Senior Contributor Location: Surrey, B.C., Canada Joined: Jun 10, 2010 16:20 Messages: 1783 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
I agree with Nini1, but also to clarify on some camcorders the viideo/images stored on the card can be # consecutively or not so if Card A gets full and you insert another card (B) then the naming (numbering) continues, but if you have selected not to # consecutively then the naming starts fresh so on two different cards you may end up with the same Name/#.
Jim Intel i7-2600@3.4Gz Geforce 560ti-1GB Graphic accelerator, windows 7 Premium 12GB memory

Visit GranPapa64's channel for your YouTube experience of the day!
EXR [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 26, 2012 20:32 Messages: 27 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Nina, I do have all my videos and photos in a properly organized folder and sub-folder. Because there are two different videos with the same file name, i cannot put them in one folder. Not say cannot, i should say i choose not to. So I separated those videos into different folders to avoid the question "Would you like to replace." But this is not my problem. My problem is this. The software asked me to relink too many files.

Some files which does not have same file name, that's ok because there is only one unique file. Having to relink those files are not difficult. But those files which have got 2 same file name will be a big problem. Because when it asked to relink for example 0001, I have two 0001, one in folder A and one in folder B. I'm not sure which 0001 it is referring to. If I relink, and then found out that the 0001 is not the correct 0001, then the position on the timeline will be different. The biggest problem is this, the software not only ask me to relink 0001, it also ask to relink 0002, 0003, 0004, 0005 and many more. If I simply anyhow pick, I can be very sure the entire project timeline will be in a mess.

The funniest part is, how come I did not touch my computer for two weeks and I did not touch the project for two weeks, how come it will ask to relink? Everything was in position in my computer. As I mentioned, if I move some media files, it is not unusual that it will ask me to relink. The point is, I didn't touch anything and why does it asked me to relink?

James, for your info, I'm using a Panasonic Lumix LX5 to shoot my video, you have any idea how do I # consecutively?
1Nina
Senior Contributor Location: Norway, 50km southwest of Oslo Joined: Oct 08, 2008 04:12 Messages: 1070 Offline
[Post New]
Hi EXR,

thanks for clarifying your problem.
Though encountered several different incidents with PD, I’ve never experienced
“relink” several clips. Someone else hopefully can give you a more accurate
answer. Mine here will just be what I might have done trying to repair.
(You have probably already checked this ?) :
- most probably you have several, at least a few, saved project files of your project either
auto-saved or saved manually by you. Would the problem be the same for previous saved
project files?
C:\Users\AppData\Roaming\CyberLink\PowerDirector\10.0\AutoSave
- or a folder you have created yourself for your project saves

- if you, outside PD, go to the folder(s) where you have your clips/files and watch a few seconds
from there, you can find the right clip to relink where ?

But yes, it appears strange that you should have to relink many clips/files if you haven’t
done any work on your computer between opening and closing a PDproject.
I hope someone else might guide you further, because I fear you will have to rebuild your
project again…..

Nina

Just something.
https://www.petitpoisvideo.com
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
The issue is more likely due to a foible with your PC's storage devices. Without a complete breakdown of your system members will be guessing. A full diagnostic file will help.

File management is important, how you do that is up to you. The numbering sequence of your video files is only a concern when you place any in the same folder. If the video is recorded at different times and places then they should be in different folders. Thereby the addresses to those files will not conflict.

Dafydd
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Did you move any of the files after starting the project? Did you change location of folders or rename where the files are stored? It is possible that the program doesn't know where they are now. You'll have to help it find them. .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
[Post New]
If I understand correctly, You have two folders A and B with videos.
Opens and directs the Project for (Folder A) gave an error, then open the project again and point to the (Folder B), everything goes automatically.
If you added files from the card then I do not know how I never used this way.
I always do I copy files to the HD first.
Now if you added the project was wrong and inadvertently saved the project, try to open from the automatic save of PD, using the date or name, you can.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at May 01. 2012 14:48

AMD-FX 8350 / 8GB DDR3
SSD SUV400S37240G / 2-HD WD 1TB
AMD Radeon R9 270 / AOC M2470SWD
Windows 7-64 / PD16 Ultimate
All vodi
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Aug 21, 2009 11:24 Messages: 1431 Offline
[Post New]
EXR,

What PD is telling you is that for some reason the FULL address location of the files on your PC that were listed in the project have changed. As per the moderators suggestion please include a Diagnostic file for us to look at. Win 10, i7