Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Need answer today: Installing 11 upgrade without prior version
SilvioF [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 23, 2012 10:25 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
I've already contacted customer support and got a non-answer basically telling me i'm SOL. I'm really not sure what planet CyberLink lives on, but as a paying customer (since version 8 ) I expect to actually be able to use the product I shelled out money for again and again (foolishly on my part it seems).

I expect an answer by COB today EST, about how I can install my legally acquired software on my new computer. I no longer have a copy of PowerDVD 10 around and Cyberlink doesn't make it available for download, so you geniuses can now tell me how I can install 11 on my new Media Center.

If you'd rather I use other means that bypass your licensing I''ll be willing to do so unless I get an answer, since you seem to have the attitude of screwing your customers again and again. BTW, the only reason I even upgraded to 11 was because you jerks won't support previous version of your own software to play newer Blu Ray discs.

So you have a choice of either maintaining a long-time customer or losing me to a competitor/dedicated Blu Ray player that won't give me half the problems I've had with you guys, along with another complain to the BBB (you guys are doing great there, huh?).

My support ticket is: CS001139141

Let me know,
Silvio
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Tisk, tisk, such anger on a Monday Morning.

As you may or may not know, this is not technical support. It is a users group where some Cyberlink technical (not sales) personnel sometimes show up.

I just upgraded from Power Director 9 to Power Director 10 as a clean install. When I went to install it, it simply asked for the previous version key. I entered that and then the install proceeded. Did you see that install message? You can get your previous key from Cyberline Support - online. Look for manage your products.

Calm down and be nice if you want the same in return. .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
SilvioF [Avatar]
[Post New]
As I said in my post, installing v11 requires that v10 be installed there is no option of entering an older key and I can't find v10 anywhere to download (legally). I did the right thing and contacted customer support and got blown off. Since this is not the first time that I've gotten dicked by this company I've lost my patience.
SilvioF [Avatar]
[Post New]
Alright, never mind. I just spent a few minutes to figure out how to bypass the prior version check and I managed to successfully install it without v10 present. Not sure why they even bother....

Later,
Silvio
guga [Avatar]
Member Joined: Apr 22, 2012 16:31 Messages: 52 Offline
[Post New]
Nice to see that this finally worked out for you. Would you be kind enough on how the version 10 was bypassed?
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
guga - Did you have Version 10 installed and then lost it? Be hionest !

Are you trying to install the update version without owning the previous version to save some money? If so, that is pretty petty of you.

If not, how did you lose the previous version?

SilvioF - do not post the instructions unless guga shows that he had the previous version. .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
SilvioF [Avatar]
[Post New]
I won't post the instructions even if guga says he lost v10 as I did, because unfortunately some people would simply cheat CyberLink out of licensing fees. I'm sure other people have figured it out though.

I'm a software developer myself and I respect and have no problem paying licensing fees for software that I use. CyberLink should think of revamping their licensing infrastructure so it's more user friendly and better protects their product, without treating the end user as an adversary. A simple online license check upon install would be the easiest thing here. So regardless of what license I have the installer and a back-end service can check my entitlements and make the proper decision from there. Without having to worry about lost install packages, upgrades, etc. Just my thought...