Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
subtitles for clips
dsm1212 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 07, 2011 20:54 Messages: 16 Offline
[Post New]
If I have a bunch of clips, each of which has an associated SRT file, then how do I use these in PD10? I'd like PD to just carry them along with the clip, but it seems only one of the SRT files is useful because I have to overwrite it to import the next one. And since PD10 isn't associating the srt with the clip it doesn't shift the timestamps to where the clip is located. I guess this isn't going to work.

I was trying to use one of these programs that generates an SRT with the recording date/time in it. This would be nice for playback. I could also do that AFTER producing the final m2ts, but PD seems to lose the date-time information from the original MTS file. Is there any way to get PD to carry that along in the output?

Thanks,

steve
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Steve,
I see your dilemma. A workaround may be in order. I have only attempted the following with text files and not SRT.

1. Open PD10
2. New project
3. Drag your clip down - just one with SRT
4. Apply the SRT file
5. Save the project using File > save project as.. to a location and new pds file, name the file clearly.
5-1. Start a new project.
6. Repeat the operation for each of the video clips and SRT files.
7. Open the first saved project by selecting the pds file.
8. Move your slider to the end of the project in the track
9. Go to: File > Insert Project.
10. Locate your second saved pds file.
11. A warning about chapters appears, ignore it, select OK.
12.You should now have two distinct subtitles in the tracks. Repeat for all saved pds files and this workaround should work.

Let me know how you get on please.

Dafydd

Edit: Just correcting typos.... probably missed a few or caused more with my fat fingers!

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Apr 23. 2012 09:33

dsm1212 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Dafydd - You seem to be the PD10 master, because this does work! But it's pretty onerous and I'm not sure worth the effort because I have to do this for every single clip. If anyone knows of a better way let me know. Where do I file an enhancement request?

thanks,

steve
dsm1212 [Avatar]
[Post New]
The more I think about it, this is a work-around for a work-around. What I really want is for PD10 to not lose the time stamp info that was in the source clips if I'm producing the same AVCHD output format. If I have that, then it is trivial for me to generate the subs from the final file. Is there a way to get PD10 to retain this information?

thanks,

steve
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: The more I think about it, this is a work-around for a work-around. What I really want is for PD10 to not lose the time stamp info that was in the source clips if I'm producing the same AVCHD output format. If I have that, then it is trivial for me to generate the subs from the final file. Is there a way to get PD10 to retain this information?

thanks,

steve

I am not sure what you are really wanting to do.

Powerdirector can export a SRT file of the subtiles that are currently loaded.

The time information is retained as it is a SRT file.

If you want a method to combine all of your various subtile files into one continous file, there is a free software that edits Subtitles.

That software is named "Subtitle Edit".
Link to the software:
http://www.nikse.dk/

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.