Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Audio / Video Sync Problems
[Post New]
I am having audio/video sync problems in PD10, where the audio intermittently goes out of sync with the video, both during preview AND when rendering with preview turned off.

To make this clear, a speaker who is talking will have his words out of synch with (with the audio lagging behind) his video image. Because this happens sometimes during rendering of AVCHD at 24 FPS with the preview turned off during rendering, it does not appear to be a preview related matter, although it certainly happen during preview too. Rather, I suspect there is a bug in PD10's new engine that is specific to its processing of AVCHD material, a bug that Cyberlink is not admitting to. Here are some observations:

- All source video is AVCHD recorded at 60 FPS
- All source video was imported from 2 identical Panasonic TM-900 cameras, 2012 vintage.
- The A/V intermittently goes out of sync at transition points as a new scene commences.
- The out of synch condition occurs even if the A & V tracks are locked in the timeline.
- The problem also occurs when a video scene is overwritten with a .JPG and a crossfade is attached to each edge of the .JPG. The underlying audio goes out of sync at the opening transition that brings in the .JPG

Sometimes the transitions work fine and the audio stays in sync. But sometimes as a scene fades in, the audio from the new scene is out of sync with its video. The problem is intermittent, and I have not found a circumstance that reliably reproduces the out of sync condition.

Customer Support suggested checking the size of Virtual Memory (which is way more than adequate), only loading system services (which I have configured), ensuring all drivers are up to date (which they are) , and ensuring there is adequate disk space (over 100 GB is available). I have even tried disabling the network interface to remove a source of interrupts ~ all to no avail.

This is PD version 10.0.0.0.1424c on a new high end HP Envy 17, Quad Core I7 (the DxDiag.txt is attached), with a 7200RPM HDD, and a 2nd internal 120GB SSD. From some of the forum threads I have not used the SSD and all I/O is to/from the HDD.

All video editing has been halted until this is solved, but I will need to move on and purchase a different editing package soon if I can't resolve the issue. This'll be a 2 hour movie, ad I can't get the first few minutes to reliably preview or render...
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
38 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
676 time(s)
Xerox [Avatar]
Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Aug 09, 2009 01:36 Messages: 446 Offline
[Post New]
You may need to produce a WAV file for the entire movie. Then use the WAV file in your movie and disable the audio track linked to the video. Then produce the movie to your desired format. Gateway DX4380, AMD A8-5500 Quad Core 3.2GHz with ATI Radeon HD 7560D; 16GB RAM; 1 TB SATA 7200 RPM; Windows 8 Pro 64-bit; PDR11, PDVD12.
CubbyHouseFilms
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne, Australia Joined: Jul 14, 2009 04:23 Messages: 2208 Offline
[Post New]
Hi EthanH

Welcome to the volunteer forum

PD10 uses two types of transition, Overlap (merges and shortens clips by length of transition) and Cross (doesn't shorten). Try using the Cross.

More info can found here http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/22734.page#121624

I find when doing a large 2 hour project a good technique is to break it up into, say, 8 project (PDS) parts.

Part 1 (15minutes), Part 2 (15 minutes) etc etc.

After each part, Produce the file to say, Part 1 AVCHD 1920x1080, Part 2 AVCHD 1920x1080 etc etc.

Then, joined all these AVCHD files together in a new project and either burn or Produce again - note on this last Production I disable the SVRT as it can 'jump' a few frames - you might have better results though.

Good luck

Happy editing

Happing editing

Best Regards

Neil
CubbyHouseFilms

My Youtube Channel
My Vimeo Channel
PD3.5, 5, 6 & 7. Computer: Dell Dimension 5150, Intel Pen. 2.80 GHz, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT 256MB, Windows XP Pro!!
PD8 Ultra v3022. Computer: Dell Studio 1747, Intel, i7 Q740 1.73 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 560v 1GB, Windows 7 Ult. 64
PD10 Ultra v2023. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD12 Ultra v2930. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD13 Ultim v3516. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD16 Live v2101 Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 16GB RAM, ATI Mob.Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
Director Suite 6: PowerDirector 16 Live, PhotoDirector 9, ColorDirector 6, AudioDirector 8

Cameras: Sony(s) HXR-NX5P, HXR-NX70P, NEX-VG10E, a6300 4k, HDR TG5E, GoPro 4 Black, Canon 6D DSLR

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
- PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!

garioch7
Senior Contributor Location: Port Hood, Nova Scotia, Canada Joined: Feb 07, 2011 06:45 Messages: 852 Offline
[Post New]
Ethan: Welcome to the forum. Neil has given you excellent advice, particularly with respect to overlap versus cross transitions. The only thing I noted from you dxdiag file was that your video driver is dated September. There might be a new one available from the AMD website - don't trust Windows Update - it is usually a few generations behind. Also ensure that you have the latest QuickTime installed and try turning your Hardware Acceleration off, if it is enabled, through Preferences.

Hope this helps. Let us know how you make out. Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil Windows 10 Pro x64
Dell XPS 8930
Intel CoreT i7 (4.6 GHz)
32 GB DDR4-2666 RAM
1 TB PCIe -x4 SSD
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
PD14 Ultimate x64, 4207
CD4 Ultra and AD6 Ultra
Bleeping Computer Malware Response Instructor
[Post New]
First, let me say how much I appreciate the suggestions. After trying the various suggestions the audio still goes out of sync with the video at transition points. Here are the particulars:

- I changed all transitions to Cross and am still experiencing the intermittent sync problem.

- I unchecked the hardware acceleration option (only the hardware decode had been checked), and the sync problem persists.

- I've not been using SVRT as the video makes use of titles, and the rendered frame rate is 24FPS not the 60FPS of the imported video.

- I found / installed a slightly more recent video driver dated November 1 of last year, with no change in behavior after installing it. This is the most recent driver out there.

- Quicktime was already up to date, although I a not using Quicktime for encoding/decoding.

- A correction to my initial posting: the video lags the audio when this occurs, not the other way around.

My observation is that when the problem occurs it most often happens at the opening of a scene where the video suddenly lags the video in the new scene. Sometimes this happens without any transition effect at all simply by going from a title with no underlying video into a scene.

If I remove all transitions and just let one scene jump into the next, the problem still occurs but not as often.

In terms of isolating the problem it definitely seems to occur most often when going fro one scene to the next when the scene is starting with a transition effect or with a title. It almost seems that transitions are somehow disrupting the internal timing of things.

I have observed during preview that on several occasions the video sped up and caught up to the audio a few seconds into the scene and then things stayed in sync for the balance of the scene. This make me think it could be be that video data is getting delayed in an internal buffer queue. I;m quite certain the hardware is plenty fast enough.

Any more ideas / suggestions?

Ethan

garioch7
Senior Contributor Location: Port Hood, Nova Scotia, Canada Joined: Feb 07, 2011 06:45 Messages: 852 Offline
[Post New]
Ethan: Forgive me please, if this is a stupid observation on my part, since you did mention the problem was occurring on rendering too.

I have frequently had "lags" when editing, particularly when scrolling credit titles are inserted, BUT the PRODUCED video plays fine in Windows Media Player or PowerDVD. The BURNED DVD also plays properly. It is just in the timeline PD10 where a lag is noticeable. I normally stop playback in the timeline, give it a few seconds (normally the "FIT" button will go active again) and then resume playback and all is fine.

Like you, I don't think that this is due to my computer being underpowered. It just seems to be something intrinsic to both PD9 and PD10 (I never used previous versions so can't speak to their behaviours).

All of that to say, have you produced or burned your videos and played them in something other than PD10? If you have, then I am stumped.

PD10 uses QuickTime for some of its encoding and decoding, so I have read here; hence, my suggestion to have the latest version. That has solved issues for a lot of users.

Have a great day, Ethan. The real pros here will solve your problem, count on it!

Regards,
-Phil Windows 10 Pro x64
Dell XPS 8930
Intel CoreT i7 (4.6 GHz)
32 GB DDR4-2666 RAM
1 TB PCIe -x4 SSD
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
PD14 Ultimate x64, 4207
CD4 Ultra and AD6 Ultra
CubbyHouseFilms
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne, Australia Joined: Jul 14, 2009 04:23 Messages: 2208 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Ethan

Try adjusting your preview window:

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/22821.page

Oops sorry Ethan wrong page - this is the correct one.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 18. 2012 20:47

Happing editing

Best Regards

Neil
CubbyHouseFilms

My Youtube Channel
My Vimeo Channel
PD3.5, 5, 6 & 7. Computer: Dell Dimension 5150, Intel Pen. 2.80 GHz, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT 256MB, Windows XP Pro!!
PD8 Ultra v3022. Computer: Dell Studio 1747, Intel, i7 Q740 1.73 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 560v 1GB, Windows 7 Ult. 64
PD10 Ultra v2023. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD12 Ultra v2930. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD13 Ultim v3516. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD16 Live v2101 Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 16GB RAM, ATI Mob.Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
Director Suite 6: PowerDirector 16 Live, PhotoDirector 9, ColorDirector 6, AudioDirector 8

Cameras: Sony(s) HXR-NX5P, HXR-NX70P, NEX-VG10E, a6300 4k, HDR TG5E, GoPro 4 Black, Canon 6D DSLR

[Post New]
garioch7 - I render the output AVCHD at 25FPS, and no matter where the playback is (Media Player, BD or DVD disk, etc.) the out of synch audio happens, so I agree that this is a problem intrinsic to PD.

CubbyHouseFilms - the link you provided was about MP3's not the preview window. While I think there might be a problem with preview, I also think there is an issue in the rendering engine (perhaps it's a bug in a common shared library routine of some sort), as the audio and video go out of sync in the rendered product when rendering is done with the preview function turned off.

I still suspect a software bug, one that has all the hallmarks of a queue that is temporarily stalled at various boundary conditions or is not being processed at the correct time. Regardless, it's whopper of a showstopper if PD10 can't produce a final AVCHD product without the audio/video going out of sync at random video transition points.

I'm still looking for ideas or better yet a solution, before I have to bite the bullet and uninstall PD10 and purchase a different video editing package. No word in 2 days from Cyberlink... so hope is fading.
CubbyHouseFilms
[Post New]
Hi Ethan

Try the link again Happing editing

Best Regards

Neil
CubbyHouseFilms

My Youtube Channel
My Vimeo Channel

[Post New]
More observations:

I have dropped to low preview resolution, and the FIT had already been set. I also have shrunk the preview area to a very small section of the screen to minimize the resources needed to display a preview.

- The preview video intermittently lags the audio on occasion, going out of sync perhaps every 10 scenes or so.

- on one occasion the video froze for a split second and then moved very quickly and caught up with the audio, and while still in the same scene then went out of sync again - with no transitions or titles.

This last observation still suggests that there is a serious internal video queueing problem in PD10. I have no other apps running and I have even disabled the internet adapter to prevent random interrupts from from diverting the processor. And as I mentioned before I can render with the preview off, and random sync problems show up in the resulting DVD or BD, although not as often.

Still no word back from Cyberlink...
babindia
Senior Contributor Location: India Joined: Aug 16, 2007 06:11 Messages: 884 Offline
[Post New]
One question though might sound silly, Is your system adequate to run HD
PC specs :
OS Windows 10.0 Pro
MB - AS rock Z77 extreme 11
Intel 3770K @ 4.0 Ghz OC
Gskill 32 GB RAM 1800 Mhz
6 TB HDD, SSD bootable
nVidia ASUS GTX 660 Ti
BenQ 22" LCD monitor 1920x1080

garioch7
[Post New]
Bab: Ethan did post a dxdiag file and I reviewed it. I couldn't find any issues other than a video driver that was one generation behind and that he has since updated. I am not a computer expert, but his system looked very capable to me.

Ethan: I have never worked with AVCHD files so can't help you any further. I am hoping that one of the real pros here will come up with a solution for you.

Cyberlink Tech Support is not known for its rapid responses, but they do generally respond, though I have read complaints in the forum about them providing "canned responses" that sometimes are not even applicable to the problem being reported. We will all be very interested to know their response to your ticket.

Have a great day, and sorry that I could not assist you further.

Regards,
-Phil Windows 10 Pro x64
Dell XPS 8930
Intel CoreT i7 (4.6 GHz)
32 GB DDR4-2666 RAM
1 TB PCIe -x4 SSD
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
PD14 Ultimate x64, 4207
CD4 Ultra and AD6 Ultra
[Post New]
BabIndia - Good question & thanks for getting back to me. The DxDiag was attached to my initial post and has my hardware specifics. I think this computer should easily be up to the task of previewing and rendering AVCHD/60FPS material: 2.2GHz i7 2670QM, 8 Gigs of 1600Mhz memory, 7200RPM disk (measured at 148MB/Sec sustained read & write and even faster to my SSD), Radeon HD 7690M XT Graphics, tons of HDD disk space, virtual memory, etc. After shutting down virtually everything in the computer that can generate interrupts and all applications and processes that might preempt PD10, going low-def in the preview window, etc., the occasional instances of video and audio going out of sync persist and are frequent.

There are other forum threads that indicate others are experiencing AVCHD audio/video sync problems, and no threads I have read suggest there is a workaround or configuration that works. I don't think I'm alone. It would seem that there is a serious issue in in PD10 when it comes to processing 1080P at 60FPS both in preview and in rendering, and/or when rendering to 1080P/24FPS.

MS Windows Live Movie Maker which came preloaded on the computer handles 1080P/60FPS full resolution previews just fine, but the app is primitive and does not provide the level of editing control needed for my project, and it only renders .avi as output and the transcoding looks horrible. But the fact that it works suggests the computer has PLENTY of horsepower, so it seems reasonable to assume there is something wrong with PD10's processing of 1080P/60FPS data and/or in the transcoding to AVCHD/24FPS.

From the symptoms I see, and from my decades of experience designing, coding and testing real-time software it really feels like a queue (containing video data) which on occasion stalls because it was not scheduled and/or processed in time to keep up with the audio, but which shortly after going out of sync gets serviced and the a & v can then resynchronize. That such things seem to occur most often when PD10 is also processing a transition or title is suggestive of this starvation as well. It may be that the internal scheduling algorithm is timer based and is simply not capable of processing data at these rates regardless of available horsepower.

Tomorrow is Friday which is an internal deadline I set to see if an expert here on the forum has a workaround, or to see if Cyberlink gets back to me with a workaround or a patch that fixes the issue, or at least acknowledges that they are working on the issue and expect to have something in tow soon. It is not difficult to reproduce the problem, even though the specific circumstances that cause it are not identifiable. If no solution is available soon, then I'll kiss the money ust spent goodbye, uninstall PD10 and buy something else before my production schedule slips further. Not high on my list of things to do...

Ethan
babindia
Senior Contributor Location: India Joined: Aug 16, 2007 06:11 Messages: 884 Offline
[Post New]
Ethan
You can ask for a refund within 30 days of purchase and CL will refund

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 19. 2012 23:10

PC specs :
OS Windows 10.0 Pro
MB - AS rock Z77 extreme 11
Intel 3770K @ 4.0 Ghz OC
Gskill 32 GB RAM 1800 Mhz
6 TB HDD, SSD bootable
nVidia ASUS GTX 660 Ti
BenQ 22" LCD monitor 1920x1080

TomSexton525 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 01, 2012 19:21 Messages: 15 Offline
[Post New]
Ethan,

I'm glad to know that I'm not the only crazy one. I have read that you're having the same issue as I am. I've done so much testing in an attempt to correct the "out of sync" problem with PD10. I just finished "Producing" a 70 minute movie with no crossovers, no music, just the video with a Title in front and one at the end. The H.264 process is causing the video to lag behind the audio! No matter what I do, I can't seem to resolve this issue. It has to be in the software. I have a brand new machine with 1.5 TB drive, 8 GB of Ram on a Windows 7 64-bit system. I'm also ready to give up. I wish they would just aknowledge the problem and work on a solution.

Tom from Minnesota Tom in Inver Grove Heights
tay_lawrence@hotmail.com [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 07, 2012 01:52 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
argh!!!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 15. 2012 19:26

kaydubbayoo [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 23, 2012 16:34 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
Looks like I'm not the only one with this problem. Got in touch with tech support after having problems with newly burned dvd freezing and jumping out of sync. They sent me a PD10 update download which I installed and now I can't even burn to disc, just keep getting error message telling me burning unsuccessful. Time for a refund and try something else!!!!!
leylandry [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 23, 2013 03:15 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
This PD10 audio/video mismatch on edit has NOT gone away. "Support" has been canned so far and then 'sent up the ladder' without response or updates for a week now... there are soooo many complaints regards this issue that i can feel certain there is NO HARDWARE issues related to peoples systems... THIS is without ANY doubt a PD10 issue.... how can i make such a statement? (considering the canned responses, i think i have the right!) i can assert such because on a smaller hP laptop with PD9, the exact same file in gives an edited version (video near 2 hours long) that is CRYSTAL CLEAR CORRECT on matchup of audio/video.

Now, "Support", pass that on and quit running us around. The DEVELOPERS are the ones causing this concern and either they are not being told OR they are not allowed to fix this problem.... i have had NO advice on a 'patch' or suggestions of 'newer' versions of PD fixes this issue, or ANYTHING useful to date.

As they say, 'good luck with that' as i search for another video editing software AFTER reading all their support blogs.

Leland Landry - VP Frontiers of Health
[Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 03, 2014 20:38 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I just downloaded a trail copy PD12 and it worked flawlessly when I played with it. Now I have a corporate deadline and low and behold its out of sync. Then I come here to find a solution and find the same problem since PD10. Wow, I liked the product, but I need it to work out the box.
[Post New]
I'm having the same problem in PD 11. Hope there is a solution soon. Djstills11

PD11 Ultra HP Pavillion P7-1126S
AMD A8-3800 APU 2.7 GHZ
Integrated Radeon HD 7550 Graphics
14GB RAM Win 7 Home Prem. 64 Bit
Canon Vixia HF M500