Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Do you need PD9 on your system in order for PD10 Ultra to Work ?
[Post New]
As some of you know, I have had my share of technical complications using PD10, despite having specs that exceed the recommended requirements. I've uninstalled/reinstalled more than 3 or 4 times, which usually only temporarily resolves any issues I am having with using the program.

So I was just wondering if PD9 is supposed to already be installed on your system when using PD10. I vaguely remember (I think, but I could be wrong) reading that PD9 should be installed when downloading PD10 as an upgrade, which is what I chose to do when I purchased it. A few days ago I did a complete uninstall of all traces of PowerDirector from my machine. After that I reinstalled PD10, which works but only partially. My main problem now is that about half of the effects do not work at all, such that when I add an effect such as old movie to a clip, it makes the entire clip almost all black or flashing black. At this point I have PD10 off my system once again, and I am trying to see whatever else I can do to get it fully working again once I have it reinstalled.

This is why I ask if PD9 must be on the system for PD10 to function as intended. Tips are more than welcome.

*Update: My problems with progress freezing when producing videos has been solved. Just came down to some transitions that I had to delete/reposition.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
PD10 ultra will work just fine without PD9 installed. You may or may not need PD9 installed to install PD10 if you purchased the PD10 upgrade. I say may or may not because it appears to depend when you purchased PD10. Earlier releases required PD9 to be installed to verify you had the product for your upgrade, latter versions allow you to enter your PD9 key during install of PD10 so you don't need to fully install PD9 prior to upgrading to PD10.

Either way, once PD10 is installed, it will work without PD9 present.

Jeff
[Post New]
Glad to report that I determined the source of my black screen interruptions. Turns out that once I disable OpenCL Rendering all the problems go away.

Wish I had given that a try earlier. But, hopefully I can remain clear of technical hitches for now.

Thanks