Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
AppData\ Roaming \Cyberlink
Anja the Dane
Contributor Location: Denmark (North of Copenhagen) Joined: Mar 03, 2011 15:02 Messages: 347 Offline
[Post New]
hi,
I am unsure whether I should address myself to technical support or if I can get an answer in this forum. So please tell me.

I just uninstalled PD9 and all side applications as PhotoNow, Wave Editor and Smart Sound with Revo Uninstaller which provides deletions in the registry.

Then I ran a Malware scan - while it was running I saw that the scanned directories under .. \ AppData \ Roaming \ CyberLink - I was surprised.

During this Cuberlink catalog was both part of catalogs and a lot of files - including catalog 'Media Cache' here was 2.624 bmp files - this seems to be a part - and the oldest was dated a year back in time to the point where I bought and installed PD9 first time.

Is it the case that PD saves all cache files for time and eternity?

Every time I have reinstalled PD I have in 'Settings' set the duration to 30 days.

Also in directories' waveforms' and '9 .0 ', there were many up to a year old files - in the' Auto Save 'was the oldest only a month old. (similar to settings).

Fortunately, I have a relatively large C drive but it seems unreasonable that the files in those directories are not deleted regularly at least once projects have been deleted.

What will it take to C drive is not filled up with unnecessary CyberLink goop?

Cheers,
Anja
PDR 14.0.4207.0 / Windows 10 64-bit / Asus / Intel i7-4790 3.60 GHz / 16GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 / DirectX 12
1Nina
Senior Contributor Location: Norway, 50km southwest of Oslo Joined: Oct 08, 2008 04:12 Messages: 1070 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Anja,

I havn’t been in here on 9 all winter.
I just now had a read, and see that you’ve reached a point where I was
in ….I think it was November of last year.
You are saying in one of your posts something like: “PD is acting more and more strange”.
It is a major problem on many systems- the unstability of PD.
“Now it works…..now it doesn’t” – rollercoaster takes the juice out of you.
All the un-/reinstalling/updating/cleaning…..
And the cache….yes, I made it a habit to go in there every time I had finished a project and
delete. There might be a way, somewhere, to have the autodelete work, but it has never
worked for me.
I took PD9 out of my desktop some time ago. In the end, when Modify refused to
follow my editing, no matter what I did, I did not want my desktop to be messed
anymore with all the un-/reinstalling. PD is now on my laptop- where there is nothing
much else going on.
It seems several people do not have much hazzle with PD. Then again, a lot of people do.
I have a few large programs, on which I am dependent on to work on a daily basis, on my
desktop. Aside from PD, there isn’t much in-/uninstalling I do. I like it that way.
That’s why I took PD out from there.

God påske!

Just something.
https://www.petitpoisvideo.com
CubbyHouseFilms
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne, Australia Joined: Jul 14, 2009 04:23 Messages: 2208 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Anja

Quote: hi,
Then I ran a Malware scan - while it was running I saw that the scanned directories under .. \ AppData \ Roaming \ CyberLink - I was surprised.

Every time I have reinstalled PD I have in 'Settings' set the duration to 30 days.

Also in directories' waveforms' and '9 .0 ', there were many up to a year old files - in the' Auto Save 'was the oldest only a month old. (similar to settings).

What will it take to C drive is not filled up with unnecessary CyberLink goop?

The AppData\Roaming is where PD stores all the AutoSave information and Project data - I personally do not use AutoSave and prefer to manually save every couple of minutes or so as I read on the forum of the members who experience problems with the Auto Save settings.

I have also turned off the Shadow Edit function as well - all the settings are found in Preferences.

I also ensure that PD and all project files are stored on my C Drive and that my Export folder is also on C drive.

When I have finished my project I produce a file as close to the highest quality video file (usually a 1920x1080 AVCHD 24mbps). This file is then stored on my external drive

Happy editing : Happing editing

Best Regards

Neil
CubbyHouseFilms

My Youtube Channel
My Vimeo Channel
PD3.5, 5, 6 & 7. Computer: Dell Dimension 5150, Intel Pen. 2.80 GHz, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT 256MB, Windows XP Pro!!
PD8 Ultra v3022. Computer: Dell Studio 1747, Intel, i7 Q740 1.73 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 560v 1GB, Windows 7 Ult. 64
PD10 Ultra v2023. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD12 Ultra v2930. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD13 Ultim v3516. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD16 Live v2101 Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 16GB RAM, ATI Mob.Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
Director Suite 6: PowerDirector 16 Live, PhotoDirector 9, ColorDirector 6, AudioDirector 8

Cameras: Sony(s) HXR-NX5P, HXR-NX70P, NEX-VG10E, a6300 4k, HDR TG5E, GoPro 4 Black, Canon 6D DSLR

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
- PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Anja -

I've uninstalled & re-installed PD many times, using Revo & not. I've never ascertained whether the various files stored in C:\Users\Tony\AppData\Roaming\CyberLink are cleared during the uninstall process or not.

The Media Cache folder & other sub-folders (photoTmp, WaveForms, AutoSave etc) contain different files that I remove manually from time to time, so I can't find any evidence of left-over files.

Cheers - Tony
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Anja the Dane
Contributor Location: Denmark (North of Copenhagen) Joined: Mar 03, 2011 15:02 Messages: 347 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Nina, Neil & Tony.

Because I get so tired of the problems with PD is during the years I've had PD9 only managed to produce five videos of 3-7 minutes each, two of which are simple slideshows.

I have considered whether I should upgrade to PD10. It may be that Cyberlink has fixed what causing problems in 9th in 10th, but after seeing the posts in the 10 forum I do not think it will help me.
I've also thought about changing PD out with e.g. Adobe, but it will be overkill - also the price is much too high for me.

Are my laptop powerfull enough to run PD9?

Nina,
nice to hear from you again.
The other day I watched your sweet evocative Spring video - it's lovely.

Besides PD9 I have not and have not had programs on my PC as it has been necessary to uninstall and reinstall to get things to work.

Runs PD9 better on your laptop?
Do you run PD9 at all? Think you once mentioned you run PD8.
Does your laptop and desktop same OS?

Også God Påske til dig!

Neil,
You mentioned earlier that you only work with PD on the C drive.
I did so also in the beginning but also at this time I had problems with PD as per my previous posts in this forum.
It was only after a reinstallation of about six months ago I chose the D drive should be working drive for PD especially as I'd like to avoid too much goop on C.

When I have finished my project I too produce a file as close to the Highest quality video file that e.g. same quality as my original AVCHD / mts clips (1280x720 AVCHD). This file is simply stored on my external backup drive. I also do an export of the project to the backup drive before I clean up.

AutoSave has actually saved me extra work sometimes.
But when it looks like PD both auto saves to C: \ Users \ Anja \ AppData \ Roaming \ CyberLink \ AutoSave and in the catalog I have chosen in 'Preferences' I will therefore try to run the PD with the Autosave function turned off when I got PD installed again.

Tony,
nice to hear from you again - I hope your grandson thrive well!

It is you who has recommended me to use Revo - definitely a good program.

The folder C: \ Users \ Anja \ AppData \ Roaming \ is usually a hidden folder that I only became aware because I was sitting in front of the PC while the Anti-Malware was running - normally I put the program running and walk away.

Now that I have been aware of this directory I will in the future manually clean up here.

Since you have helped in the reinstallation, I hope you can and will give me an answer to another of my items:
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/22607.page
Thank you in advance.

Cheers,
Anja
 Filename
DxDiag-2012-03-11-Asus.txt
[Disk]
 Description
Laptop
 Filesize
31 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
437 time(s)
PDR 14.0.4207.0 / Windows 10 64-bit / Asus / Intel i7-4790 3.60 GHz / 16GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 / DirectX 12
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Anja -

I think your laptop is pretty well equipped to run PD9.

Cheers - Tony
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
1Nina
Senior Contributor Location: Norway, 50km southwest of Oslo Joined: Oct 08, 2008 04:12 Messages: 1070 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Anja,
just popping in to tell you that my laptop has much less juice.
It has only got dual core 2.1GHz, 4 GB RAM though, 64bit….only 320GB C-drive.
But, it’s fine for making smaller pre-renders or slideshow-bits, quick wmv’s.
I render stuff out (takes some time)- and bring it back to the desktop for further work.
(I’d just wait, Anja, and see what PD11 will be about.)

Påskeferien starter nå!

PS; thanks for watching the Springer-video :

Just something.
https://www.petitpoisvideo.com