Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Cached files
Loveclose [Avatar]
Member Joined: Feb 20, 2012 08:49 Messages: 76 Offline
[Post New]
Hi gang, little admin advice needed here :

I've finished with my first project, and have backed up essential produced files, and deleted the originals as it were from my C drive.

Using a third party programme, I've scanned my drive C to see the larger files still in existence, and I've found the following:

team1_000e3601

This is just one example of over 500 files that start with the 'team1' filename. I stopped counting after 500 files - in truth there are probably nearer 700 of them, maybe more.

They are ALL movie files, some ranging from a few bytes, others - and a great many at that - that are in excess of 2gig and some are in excess of 4 gig.

The file path is as follows:

C:\Users\peterc\Documents\Cyberlink\PowerDirector\10.0\Preview Cache Files

There are also loads and loads of files such as this one:

Auteam1_00c5a003

They are generally smaller audio files.

Both types are video and sound files from my first project already deleted. I didn't ask for the files to be cached when I imported the video in to the Cyberlink programme during the project stage. The sound files are small chunks of sound, broken up into small files, literally a few seconds in places and a minute or so with other files.

I cannot see the Preview Cache Files in the Cyberlink\10 folder anywhere - I have by chance stumbled on it using this third party software that found them on my system.

Questions!!

Why are they still there?
Why can't I see the Preview Cache folder from within the My Documents folder?

And crucially,

Is it OK to delete these cached files that are part of a project I deleted/backed up onto another drive??

I can't tell yet how big the cache folder is, but has to be a significant number of GIGS!!!!!

The meek shall inherit the earth, if that's ok with everyone else....
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
1. Hidden folders, change your settings.
Open a folder>Tools>View>Advance settings>Show hidden files,folders...

2. Preview Cache folder, yes, delete it.
Are you using Shadow edit files?
I don't have any in either of my PC's

3. Did you: Export your project?
File>Export>Pack project materials>browse for a folder

Dafydd
Loveclose [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi there Dafydd, thanks for your reply....

In response:

1) Thanks for the Hidden File settings info - remembered it for Vista and you've saved me having to work it out in Win7!

2) Will delete these files I've mentioned - you said 'delete the Preview Cache folder' - so I can literally delete the whole folder rather than jus the files contained within?

3) For the record, no, I didn't use Shadow files. Two reasons - prefer to have decent playback in the preview window and secondly, I took the advice from others here on the forum not to use Shadow Files! All good advice and help. I'm assuming from what you're saying that any Shadow Files may be stored on my PC, but that won't be the case here.

4) I did export a small part of my project to Facebook. Uploaded and backed up on external hard drive, and will delete the original shortly. Only 150mb though. Are there any other hidden files to get rid of then??!!

Thanks again for your help : The meek shall inherit the earth, if that's ok with everyone else....
Loveclose [Avatar]
[Post New]
Sorry Dafydd, can't work out the File/Export Folder etc bit - which OS are you using?

Figured out the hidden files bit ok.

Woh!!! 991GIG in the Cache folder!!!!

Wondered why my drive size had gone down so much!!! Hence my search in the other programme to detect the largest files on my system!!

Good job I've a 2TB hard drive!!

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Mar 25. 2012 08:32

HalCon
Senior Contributor Location: Charlottetown, PEI Joined: Mar 01, 2008 10:36 Messages: 719 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Sorry Dafydd, can't work out the File/Export Folder etc bit - which OS are you using?

LoveClose,

To access the 'Pack project materials' see the attached screen shot.

This function will pack/backup all the media used in the timelines of your project. You choose/create the destination folder.

One thing to be careful about when using this function: It only copies the media in the timelines. If there is media in the library that is not used this will not be copied.

If you think that you might someday use/need some or all the media in the library to make edits to the original project then you must take steps to ensure that all media is saved in the Pack Project function.

What I do is create a new track and then copy all unused media to that track before using the Pack Project function. In this way I have all the original media from the project stored in the packed/backup folder.

Hope this helps

Hal
[Thumb - packproject.png]
 Filename
packproject.png
[Disk]
 Description
Pack Project
 Filesize
291 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
407 time(s)
OS - Win11 Pro, Alienware R13, CPU - Intel Core I7-12700KF 12 CPUs), 16g DDR5 4400 RAM, Video - Geeforce RTX 3080ti 12g, PD11 & PD365
My YouTube
Loveclose [Avatar]
[Post New]
Got it, thanks HalCon

Mistook the 'Export' for a literal Export to FB or YouTube......

Haven't used the Pack project materials option, but by the looks of things, would be a better way to back up a project after it's finished with.

After deleting the Cache Files, it feels like I've got a new HD again!!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 25. 2012 09:24

HalCon
Senior Contributor Location: Charlottetown, PEI Joined: Mar 01, 2008 10:36 Messages: 719 Offline
[Post New]
Glad to be of assistance.

Hal
OS - Win11 Pro, Alienware R13, CPU - Intel Core I7-12700KF 12 CPUs), 16g DDR5 4400 RAM, Video - Geeforce RTX 3080ti 12g, PD11 & PD365
My YouTube
Loveclose [Avatar]
[Post New]
I've been scanning the manual to see if it mentions anything about cached files.

My original project was around an hour in total. Fairly serious gig sized HD video clips used, so was expecting hard disc to get fuller!

But having deleted the original files from my PC, I couldn't work out why my hard disc was still fuller than I expected.

I did have problems rendering my project, and in the end had to break it up into smaller sections.

I'm still wondering why I had nearly 1000gig of cached files.

And I can't see anything in the manual that acknowledges the presence of the cached files - please correct me if I'm wrong.

I found the cached files by accident, they've been on my PC for over two weeks since I deleted/backed up project one. Had I started project two, and suffered similar rendering issues, I would probably have run out of disc space and wouldn't have known why!!! Have gone from something like 730gig free, to 1.8TB free thanks to the removal of no-longer-needed cached files!!