Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Modifying Particles [SOLVED]
[Post New]
I am using the following particle...

http://directorzone.cyberlink.com/detail/38067

What I would like to do is make a border using this particle. I can't seem to figure out how to rotate it so the flames shoot down or sideways. I can change the gravity but the flames are still pointing up and it doesn't look right.

Is this possible and if so, how?

Any input appreciated.

HighRise

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Mar 18. 2012 05:10

Bubba in TX
Senior Contributor Location: Central Texas Joined: Dec 12, 2009 21:32 Messages: 1332 Offline
[Post New]
Just hang in there, the particle guru Cranston probably has not seen your post yet...... __________________________________________
Windows 8 Pro 64 bit

CyberLink PowerDirector 10 Tutorials
PDtoots PowerDirector Tutorials

**NOTICE**
When you are asked to provide a DXDIAG you go the following link and do part "B". Your posted specs are NOT what we are looking for as they tell us nothing. The specs on the box of your computer mean nothing. The DXDIAG shows us how your computer is configured as it runs.

DXDIAG Link
[Post New]
Waits patiently for Cranston..........
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Hi HighRise955,

To get you going, here you go. The same particle, but modified so that the flames go downward.
http://directorzone.cyberlink.com/detail/7201289

If you want the procedure, I’ll post it later when I get back. And I'll also look into sideways flames.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 17. 2012 12:32

Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
Xerox [Avatar]
Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Aug 09, 2009 01:36 Messages: 446 Offline
[Post New]
While we wait for Cranston, I can tell you that there are two .png files associated with that particle effect, BigFire1.png and BigFire2.png. Each should be copied and rotated 90 degrees clockwise and used for the left side of the border, and copied and rotated 90 degrees counter-clockwise and used for the right side of the border. If there's a top side to the border then same thing except rotated 180 degrees. If you open the png files in a photo editing program, you can barely see the images used for the shape of the flames.

After you open up the big fire particle effect in the particle editor, in step 3 "Add/Delete particle," you will see the two images used. Hover your mouse over each image and wait for the popup to tell you the location where they are stored on your computer.

Gravity is not what you think. It applies to the particle from which the flames are generated, not the flames themselves. As you will see, the flames are just images in png files.

I have to go now.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 17. 2012 12:43

Gateway DX4380, AMD A8-5500 Quad Core 3.2GHz with ATI Radeon HD 7560D; 16GB RAM; 1 TB SATA 7200 RPM; Windows 8 Pro 64-bit; PDR11, PDVD12.
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Guys,

No need to wait on me. Xerox nailed it. Thanks Xerox.

The method described (Locate original particle > Modify it’s orientation in an image editing app > Replace original with modified image > Reverse the gravity setting > Reposition particles to top of screen), is indeed what I did to modify that particular particle’s flames, to emit downward.

I haven’t had much luck in using the Gravity setting to get the exact same motion applied, so the flames shoot out sideways. The first couple of quick attempts (with this particle), resulted in more of a boiling type of fire (on the sides of the screen).
Perhaps Xerox will chime with more assistance on that.

Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
[Post New]
Thanks guys for the info and thanks Cranston for making that particle. It worked great!!!

I was able to edit the particle so I could have a "sideways" flame. However, I have one last question. The particles are in 4:3 format and my project is in 16:9. How do I change the particle so it will show up in PD10 when I have 16:9 selected?

HighRise
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Guess it's too late for this one, HighRise -

http://directorzone.cyberlink.com/detail/7201327

Here's how to get the particle templates to display in either 16:9 or 4:3 libraries (near the end) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxc68R1CSkE&feature=plcp&context=C4610c5eVDvjVQa1PpcFPrUNuVkyYgvDcGAF2Bwy8QMP4vQAt4O2M%3D

Cheers - Tony

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 18. 2012 04:48

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
[Post New]
Never too late. The frame was excellent. Much cleaner than the one I made.

Thanks for the link to the video on how to save 4:3 effects to 16:9. Worked perfectly.

Thanks again for your constant assistance.

HighRise