Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Using gifs within Powerdirector 10
Naybot [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 15, 2012 10:03 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
i can't get gifs to animate within Powerdirector 10, any help would be greatly appreciated!
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Naybot ,
Motion Gifs can only be used if converted to a video format (NOT mpeg). I use the MS avi codec/carrier to render small video files. Motion gif's work on a website by being in a looped display and are often only a small number of images strung together. Unfortunately that isn't good enough for a video editor. Use a Gif animation program to elongate the gif, count the number of frames you need. For a 10 second sequence you'll need to create a gif with one frame less.

For example 10 x 30 fps = 300 frames BUT the aim is to have a loop video and a gif is a repeating loop. Create a gif with 299fps and you should be ok.

If you attach the gif a forum member may help you.

Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 15. 2012 11:08

Bubba in TX
Senior Contributor Location: Central Texas Joined: Dec 12, 2009 21:32 Messages: 1332 Offline
[Post New]
Windows Movie Maker can convert .gif to wmv. You need to select gif or "all files" to make them show... my example I placed 4 in a row to get the length I wanted as it is a SHORT gif clip..... you have several output quality options then use save to computer option... the gif I selected is grainy as it was made for a web site and is very small and does not enlarge well... but you get the idea...

OR... you can run the gif and use a screen capture to snag it.... bottom video

Filename
Movie.wmv
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
156 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
861 time(s)
 Filename
ScreenCapture_3-15-2012 9.04.26 AM.wmv
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
1716 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
838 time(s)

This message was edited 7 times. Last update was at Mar 15. 2012 12:14

CyberLink PowerDirector 10 Tutorials
PDtoots PowerDirector Tutorials

**NOTICE**
When you are asked to provide a DXDIAG you go the following link and do part "B". Your posted specs are NOT what we are looking for as they tell us nothing. The specs on the box of your computer mean nothing. The DXDIAG shows us how your computer is configured as it runs.

DXDIAG Link
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Wow, Bubba,
even I didn't know WMM could utilize a GIF. That may come in handy. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
Bubba in TX
Senior Contributor Location: Central Texas Joined: Dec 12, 2009 21:32 Messages: 1332 Offline
[Post New]
Unfortunately my FAVORITE video converter Format Factory does not convert FROM gif but it will convert TO gif. We have requested them to work on the convert FROM gif and they are looking in to it...

I LOVE Format Factory and it's still free... __________________________________________
Windows 8 Pro 64 bit

**NOTICE**
When you are asked to provide a DXDIAG you go the following link and do part "B". Your posted specs are NOT what we are looking for as they tell us nothing. The specs on the box of your computer mean nothing. The DXDIAG shows us how your computer is configured as it runs.

DXDIAG Link
1Nina
Senior Contributor Location: Norway, 50km southwest of Oslo Joined: Oct 08, 2008 04:12 Messages: 1070 Offline
[Post New]
Bubba! - the snagging.....didn't ever think of that.
Obvious, it seems now.

While in the gif-mode; have you ever checked this : http://www.sevenoaksart.co.uk/
A good place for free gifs.
Just something.
https://www.petitpoisvideo.com
Bubba in TX
[Post New]
I have not seen that site, but I have tons of gifs... I used to make them all the time way back when I got my first digital camera. (I think it was in April of 91, when I started full time with the Sheriff's Office) __________________________________________
Windows 8 Pro 64 bit

**NOTICE**

DXDIAG Link
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
1891? HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Bubba -

Thanks for edjumakating me! I had no idea!

I've always used QuickTime Pro to make .MOV files from animated gifs - does a good job.

Naybot - once the video (converted form .gif) is imported into PD, it needs to be masked or the background chroma-keyed out. The globes used in this video started life as animated gifs... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G76ntbPy3_E&list=UUOACBwbwESBSUqoCzaNkj6Q&index=7&feature=plcp

Nina - the screen capture idea works well IF it's a good quality animation in the first place. Only yesterday, I did this with the splash screen of CyberLink's PhotoDirector. Low res version attached. Full HD version looks crisp & clean in video with a circle mask.

Cheers - Tony
 Filename
PhD Lens.wmv
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
123 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
769 time(s)

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
CubbyHouseFilms
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne, Australia Joined: Jul 14, 2009 04:23 Messages: 2208 Offline
[Post New]
Quote:
While in the gif-mode; have you ever checked this : http://www.sevenoaksart.co.uk/
A good place for free gifs.

I used to live near Sevenoaks

As the name implies it use to have seven oak trees on the town green until the hurricane in Oct 1987. The council considered renaming the town Oneoak ! Only joking

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 15. 2012 17:26

Happing editing

Best Regards

Neil
CubbyHouseFilms

My Youtube Channel
My Vimeo Channel
PD3.5, 5, 6 & 7. Computer: Dell Dimension 5150, Intel Pen. 2.80 GHz, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT 256MB, Windows XP Pro!!
PD8 Ultra v3022. Computer: Dell Studio 1747, Intel, i7 Q740 1.73 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 560v 1GB, Windows 7 Ult. 64
PD10 Ultra v2023. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD12 Ultra v2930. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD13 Ultim v3516. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD16 Live v2101 Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 16GB RAM, ATI Mob.Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
Director Suite 6: PowerDirector 16 Live, PhotoDirector 9, ColorDirector 6, AudioDirector 8

Cameras: Sony(s) HXR-NX5P, HXR-NX70P, NEX-VG10E, a6300 4k, HDR TG5E, GoPro 4 Black, Canon 6D DSLR

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
- PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!

Bubba in TX
[Post New]
1891?

Some weeks like last week feel like it was..... a bad week in Redrock.... __________________________________________
Windows 8 Pro 64 bit

**NOTICE**

DXDIAG Link
Naybot [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 15, 2012 10:03 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Many thanks for your help all, much appreciated