Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
trouble since upgrading video card
faceless [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 05, 2012 23:05 Messages: 12 Offline
[Post New]
I just bought a Geforce GTS 450, but now when I try to produce a video (in any format) the result is just a black screen (there's also no preview shown as there should be when processing). I've tried Movie Maker to compare and that's working fine.

One thing I noticed about the processing sequence is that it's different from how it was before. With the old card it would go through each frame, but with this new one it gets to each clip and then has a small box saying "encoding video". I'm sure that's probably meant to be a good thing, but it's not working at all for me.

If there are any suggestions, I'd be glad to hear them

James1
Senior Contributor Location: Surrey, B.C., Canada Joined: Jun 10, 2010 16:20 Messages: 1783 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
download the latest drivers from Nvidia not from windows update.
Jim Intel i7-2600@3.4Gz Geforce 560ti-1GB Graphic accelerator, windows 7 Premium 12GB memory

Visit GranPapa64's channel for your YouTube experience of the day!
faceless [Avatar]
[Post New]
I did get the latest drivers (released last week) - and everything else seems to be working fine

Rocket-Scientist
Senior Member Location: HUNTSVILLE, ALABAMA Joined: Apr 23, 2010 10:14 Messages: 288 Offline
[Post New]
are you using shadow files? turn off if you can or wait until flag turns green before editing scanning the timeline

also check the "overlay" setting on the nvidia control panel. RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB GDDR6
(2 NVME 2TB, 1 SSD 2TB, 3SATA 18TB )
PD18 ULTIMATE 64bit
WINDOWS 10 PRO 64 BIT
GIGABYTE X570 AORUS PRO WIFI MB
RYZEN 7 3700X 8-CORE , 64 GB DDR4
ORSAIR HX1050 watts PSU
faceless [Avatar]
[Post New]
hmm, I don't know what shadow files are... I tried producing just with a few jpgs and that didn't work either.

The length of the produced video is correct, but there's just black screen.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi faceless -

Shadow files can be turned on or off in Preferences, under General... "Enable HD video processing (Shadow File)"

At what stage do you get the "Encoding Video" box? I don't recall seeing that???

What is in the project? Details? What format & profile are you using to produce? Details? Something is seriously amiss if you can't even get a working clip out of a few JPEGs!!!

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
faceless [Avatar]
[Post New]
For this test I put one jpg (tulips.jpg from the auto selection that appears) on the timeline and set it to process as mpeg2. The file output doesn't seem to matter, I've tried avi, mpeg1 and mp4.

I see it actually says 'rendering' and not video encoding... (bottom right corner), that box didn't appear before changing the video card and as you can see, there's no preview.
[Thumb - cybdir.png]
 Filename
cybdir.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
16 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
165 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 06. 2012 15:09

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Oh dear... and it was all perfectly OK before the GPU driver update?

The Procuce screen in PD10 (here, at least) looks like the attachment, unless "Enable Preview During Production" is checked. Do you have the preview option checked or unchecked?

I'd go to Control Panel > Device Manager > Display Adapters... Right click on NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450 > Properties. Under the Driver tab, it should say "Driver Version: 8.17.12.9573" - if not, it's not current.

If the driver is current, try selecting "Roll Back Driver" - after restarting the PC, try producing again.

If that doesn't work, then it looks likes a complete uninstall/re-install might be needed. Odd that the driver installation only seems to have affected PD!

Cheers - Tony
[Thumb - Producing.png]
 Filename
Producing.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
177 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
168 time(s)

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
faceless [Avatar]
[Post New]
I tried without previewing and it showed similarly to that...

but I checked the driver details and it says it's only 6.14.12.9573 - but it says the date of the file is 09/02/2012 so that's probably got something to do with it.

I'll have a rummage about and get back to you - thanks for the help so far.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
What card did you have previously? Often when replacing cards it may be necessary to fully clean out the old drivers and install the new. Nvidia offers details
http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_13955.html

Jeff
faceless [Avatar]
[Post New]
it was a Radeon 512mb card that I replaced, so I don't think that particular issue should be a problem.

thanks though

It's the 64bit version I'm installing, would that affect the driver number so much?
KentuckyRandy [Avatar]
Member Location: Kentucky USA Joined: Oct 27, 2010 09:39 Messages: 81 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: it was a Radeon 512mb card that I replaced, so I don't think that particular issue should be a problem.

thanks though

It's the 64bit version I'm installing, would that affect the driver number so much?

You should have un-installed the ATI driver, before removing the ATI card. You can try now, but may get an error.

You need the Nvida 64 bit video drivers for W7 64 bit.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 06. 2012 16:26

Self Built PC - W7 Pro 64 bit w/ SP1
ASROCK 970 Extreme 3 / AMD Black X4 3.2 / ATI 6850 1 gb /
8 gb DDR3-1600 / 1394 Firewire / LG SATA-2 Bluray Burner /
Internal Drives: SATA 3 7200rpm = 1.0-tb, 640 gb, 300 gb /
Pana TM90 / Canon HV30 / Sony HC 7 / Canon M40
Epson 810 DVD-CD printer.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: it was a Radeon 512mb card that I replaced, so I don't think that particular issue should be a problem.

thanks though

It can be even more important when you change between the two brands as you did. Everyone's mileage various though, it's often best to start clean.

Jeff
faceless [Avatar]
[Post New]
ok, I'll try cleaning it all out and starting from scratch.

I'm on XP-64bit though, not W7
KentuckyRandy [Avatar]
Member Location: Kentucky USA Joined: Oct 27, 2010 09:39 Messages: 81 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: ok, I'll try cleaning it all out and starting from scratch.

I'm on XP-64bit though, not W7

You may need to uninstall drivers with the video card installed.

So try uninstall NVIDA, then remove card, put ATI back in and uninstall ATI. Then put your nvida back in and install new XP-64 bit drivers.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 06. 2012 16:40

Self Built PC - W7 Pro 64 bit w/ SP1
ASROCK 970 Extreme 3 / AMD Black X4 3.2 / ATI 6850 1 gb /
8 gb DDR3-1600 / 1394 Firewire / LG SATA-2 Bluray Burner /
Internal Drives: SATA 3 7200rpm = 1.0-tb, 640 gb, 300 gb /
Pana TM90 / Canon HV30 / Sony HC 7 / Canon M40
Epson 810 DVD-CD printer.
faceless [Avatar]
[Post New]
hopefully I won't have to do that much - but I'll try if nothing else works
faceless [Avatar]
[Post New]
ok, that seems to have had some effect - I can now produce a video as long as it's only 1 clip long... if I add anything else to it, it won't produce (though it still works for as long as it would take to process normally)

that was just after de-installing the previous drivers though - so I'll try the full backtrack tomorrow.
babindia
Senior Contributor Location: India Joined: Aug 16, 2007 06:11 Messages: 884 Offline
[Post New]
I second KentuckyRandy.
Simple rule
Never pull out anything without uninstalling the driver that came with it. Going one step further
After uninstalling reboot and run a disk cleaner like CCleaner to shred remnants of the driver files that got uninstalled PC specs :
OS Windows 10.0 Pro
MB - AS rock Z77 extreme 11
Intel 3770K @ 4.0 Ghz OC
Gskill 32 GB RAM 1800 Mhz
6 TB HDD, SSD bootable
nVidia ASUS GTX 660 Ti
BenQ 22" LCD monitor 1920x1080