Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Remeber my post a while back about SmartSound not working - here's what's going on, thoughts???
Tangle [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 16, 2010 09:40 Messages: 29 Offline
[Post New]
To recap, I had used SmartSound in some projects and everything was fine. I produced a file and it was fine. Then 'it' happened. Some of the selections, the free ones, were simply gone. I only realized this when I loaded a project that used some of the missing music. When I loaded the project, I got a message that some of the music would be ignored. That's when I discovered the selections were no longer a part of SmartSound - not good!

This happened on two independent copies of PD9 on two different computers. Then, just like it went away, it came back on both computers, as I recall via updates.

Now, it's done it again. About half of the free categories are gone. I suppose time will tell if it will just come back too, but you can imagine how annoying this would be. Any project that uses portions of the now missing categories can not play them, so one would loose that part of the project altogether.

Thoughts????

Again, many thanks,
Tangle
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Tangle ,
Just a guess: I'd guess you have a program conflict going on with the Smart files not loading correctly. When applying the patch it restored the driver files PD uses. Later, when you used another program the files got overwritten again.

You'll need to see what happens after you uninstall/re-install PD and which of your programs is causing the problem.

Dafydd
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Tangle -

I use SmartSound a lot. The way it interfaces with PD has, at times, given me problems... but not the one you're describing. I also use other software (Adobe Premiere Elements), which accesses SmartSound files through its own GUI.

Do you use any other SmartSound/QuickTracks software? Is it possible that you have migrated the sound files & PD cannot locate them?

I keep mine in their default location at C:\ProgramData\SmartSound Software Inc

Have you tried going to the SmartSound module & rebuilding the SS database?

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Tangle [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hey guys thanks for the thoughts!

Hmmm, I don't use Adobe Premier Elements, but I do use Adobe PhotoShop Elements 9. Although I've never used SmartSound with PE9, it could still be accessing SmartSound some way and PE9 is certainly a common factor on both computers I have experienced this with.

I have done a SmartSound rebuild, but it doesn't restore the full freebie category sounds. E.g. in PD9 in the Magic Music (MM) window, the selection window says I have "All-61 style(s)" selected, but I only have 10 category sounds. When I check the SmartSound folder, sure enough, I only have 10 styles, they are:

Clear Vision
Feature Presentation
Future Progress
Global Vibes
Introspective
Julie's Place
Pavane
Run Down
Super Logo
Wild Chase

These are followed by a bunch of selections starting with "1000 Miles"

There are no SmartSound updates available. Really puzzling how this keeps happening.

The only other thing I can think of I use is Photoshop Elements 9. Could it affect SmartSound?
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
No - PSE has nothing to do with SmartSound.

OK - so you don't use any other video editing software that has a SmartSound/QuickTracks interface.

I'd suggest you:
1. Go to the SS website - download & install the 204MB file (includes common data)
http://www.smartsound.com/support/updates.html?product=cyberlink
2. If that doesn't work, contact SS Tech Support. They're excellent!
http://www.smartsound.com/support/supportform.html

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Tangle [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hey thanks Tony! Sounds good - I will do that!