Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
s/pdif issue... yet another one... again (updated 5/3-2012 07:07 EU time)
boelle [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 02, 2012 19:42 Messages: 16 Offline
[Post New]
Hi

Sure you think: not again

I have a Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3-B3 motherboard and a Creative DDTS-100 Decoder (supports: DTS®-ES both Matrix og Discrete, Dolby® Digital EX, Dolby Pro Logic® 2, DTS Neo:6®)

I have connected the pc with optical and from windows 7 sound options i can test and get the decoder to change to dts.

Sadly in powerdvd i only get 2 channels.

I only have the optical/spdif enabled to rule out as many errors as possible.

if i enable speakers and set it to 8 speakers i all channels a given movie provides. sadly there is no speaker config for spdif in win7

tried ac3 filter but no luck

any ideas?

This message was edited 8 times. Last update was at Mar 05. 2012 01:12

boelle [Avatar]
[Post New]
upps... forgot to say that i use latest drivers and all win7 updates plus powerdvd fully updated too
boelle [Avatar]
[Post New]
My graph card is a Geforce 9800 GT, this i perfect for me as it allows me to play 3D on the Optoma HD67N as i have the 3d vision glasses. It might seem an low end option but for me 720p is enough.

it works perfect i just cant figure why spdif only allows me 2 channels from powerdvd but windows can trigger the decoder to switch to DTS (only format i have enabled)

in power dvd i only have the primary audio as option when using spdif, for 8 speakers setup i have no effect and dolby and true theater... but running 4 minijack connections to my speakers would be the last option... or is it the only way?
MARK [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 15, 2011 16:24 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
Have you tried selecting the audio output whilst playing the audio/video, sometimes the options do not appear otherwise?

Also check the setting on the decoder, perhaps it is set to accept stereo only?
boelle [Avatar]
[Post New]
Yes.. only primary audio no matter what

The decoder has no settings... it does auto switch depending on what signal comes in... might sound strange but that is a true/fact..

if i do a test from win7 sound options the decoder changes to DTS... and DD if i test that...

this autoswitching also works perfect when i connect a apple tv box or a dvd player

the only settings the decoder has are levels for the different pair of speakers(front, center, sub, side surround and rear surround -- 7.1 max)
boelle [Avatar]
[Post New]
just checked... i can start with 8 speaker and change to spdif but the optical output do not change at all.. not even a single blink to indicate that it puts out multichannel sound
boelle [Avatar]
[Post New]
PowerDVD full Version 11.0.2408.53
PowerDVD Trial Verison? No
PowerDVD SR Number (when click on "CyberLink in left top - SR NUMBER IS NOT THE CD-KEY!!) DVD111208-03
PowerDVD TR Number (if shown) TR111209-010
Operating System (including x86 or x64 Bit Version) Windows 7 Home prem. 64 bit (16 GB RAM)
Do you use administrator or restricted user account? Admin (only one user)
Is your PowerDVD a Retail product or bundles with HW? Retail
Used VGA Geforece GT 9800 (Plenty as it allows me 720p and 3D)
Used VGA driver version 285.62
Used Audio device Onboard sound on Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3-B3
Used Audio device driver version 6.0.1.6307
The Audio setting in PowerDVD and in OS (default devices) S/PDIF
Used ODD drive (full model name and Firmware Version) Lite On iHBS212 (don't know FW Version)
Used Display(s) Optoma HD67N
Which kind of display connection (HDMI/DisplayPort/VGA/DVI) DVI(HDMI adapter) ---> HDMI Switch ---->>> Projector
Whcih Display refresh rate do you use while Playback (24/25/50/60/120/...) 120
Are you using single or dual monitor environment Yes
Are you using clone or extended mode (if use two display) Clone of the Projector
(3D only) Please provide detail info about 3D setting in PowerDVD True theater in midlle, left eye image first, source set to 2D, display set to Nvidia 3d vision ready
What kind of Antivirus SW are you using AVG Free Edition
Which Internet Browser Software is installed IE9
Do you use virtual ODD (e.g Daemon Tools) No
The detailed issue description

S/PDIF only allows for 2 channel output from PowerDVD but DTS 5.1 from OS when testing formats. Decoder is able to handle 6.1 on S/PDIF input. PowerDVD should be fully updated and so are the OS. Have checked for drivers and they should all be updated too. dxdiag attached.

In case the forum can not help me I have submitted the issue to Cyberlink under Question ID CS001121360
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
32 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
491 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Mar 03. 2012 06:56

boelle [Avatar]
[Post New]
hmm... seems like it's going to analog out... that at least works
TheDudeiswatching [Avatar]
Member Joined: Sep 19, 2010 00:20 Messages: 80 Offline
[Post New]
Which version of PDVD 11 do you have? If it was packaged with a BluRay drive, it is not the full ultimate, and is limited to 2 channel.
boelle [Avatar]
[Post New]
Is your PowerDVD a Retail product or bundles with HW? Retail

. i can start with 8 speaker and change to spdif

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Mar 05. 2012 01:07

CyberLink-Michael [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Boelle,

I still not get the full picture here:

S/PDIF only allows for 2 channel output from PowerDVD but DTS 5.1 from OS when testing formats. Decoder is able to handle 6.1 on S/PDIF input. PowerDVD should be fully updated and so are the OS. Have checked for drivers and they should all be updated too. dxdiag attached.

1. Do you use PDVD decoding for the audio?
2. do you want to use Bit-Streaming?

BR
Michael Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan
boelle [Avatar]
[Post New]
1. Yes . PDVD is set to s/pdif but it does only output 2 channels on the optic cable.

2. if that means i can output 6.1 sound on optic then yes

and it is possible to put 6.1 on optic as DTS-ES is also 6.1
boelle [Avatar]
[Post New]
i want to add that if there is need to convert DTS master audio then it should relly have been included as this is relly a basic feature on a pc software player.

you can say that i should just get a graph card with hdmi but not all amps have that as input...

and it should not be that hard to take dts master audio whic is 6.1 just at a higher sample rate and down convert it so it just fits the specs of dts-es
Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

sorry but still not clear about your scneario....

1. Do you want to stream DTS/DD bitstream to your amplifier, so that the amplifier is doing the de-coding job or do you expect PowerDVD to do the decoding job?

2. Please list down the exact settings in your PowerDVD 11 in the audio tab [maybe add a snapshot]

3. please let me know what kind of material you playback.

Information:
- you can not bit-stream DTS-HD-MA or DD-TrueHD using S/P-DIF because of security and bandwith.

I have no problems here to pass DD or DTS bitstream to my amp using PDVD, I just set PowerDVD to use S/PDIF and the decoder will decode it

thanks

Werde Facebook Fan
boelle [Avatar]
[Post New]
1. YES but not as DTS/DD but as DTS-EX/ES or DD-EX as these formats provide a tad better sound, again it should not be a problem to tell PDVD what format to send out on optical

2. There is not much to say about audio, i just select s/pdif and in the drop below i'm not been other options than "only primary audio"

3. lord of the rings spec. extended version
[Post New]
Quote: 1. YES but not as DTS/DD but as DTS-EX/ES or DD-EX as these formats provide a tad better sound, again it should not be a problem to tell PDVD what format to send out on optical

Hi,

PowerDVD provides the DTS and DD core and pass-through using S/P-DIF there is no "trans-coding" to DTS-EX or DD-EX

br

Werde Facebook Fan
boelle [Avatar]
[Post New]
hmm... why do i only get stereo/2ch sound on s/p-dif?

maybe this relates to that i only have the primary audio option
guga [Avatar]
Member Joined: Apr 22, 2012 16:31 Messages: 52 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Boelle. What type of cable are you using for this?
boelle [Avatar]
[Post New]
well i dropped the idea of optic connection and i'm now using analog cables... less than 3 meters so cant hear the difference.. but i can enjoy master audio at least