Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Powere Director 10 capture issues
tuneman59 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 11, 2011 09:16 Messages: 10 Offline
[Post New]
Hello, I recently upgraded to Win7 and PD10 and now my TV/capture card doesn't work. I was using the original Happauge card that came installed in my PC. It would work sometimes but not others and really for whatever reason does not like Win7.
So I bought another Happauge card that is for Win7 (WinTV HVR-1600) It wouldn't work at all so i sent it back after a week of fighting with it.
I pluggued the old card which is a WinTV PVR PCI II back in and it worked as far as capturing video from my camcorder but that's it no other kind of signal including TV will work.
Today nothing works again. All drivers and software have been updated and nothing helps.
I have been working with Cyberlink support for weeks and they have nothing. They have had me send them the same info repeatedly with no positive outcome.
Can someone on the Cyberlink forum please tell me which PCI video card I can purchase that will allow me to capture video from my 8mm digital camcorder? Right now I am using the AV cord that came with the camera running into the front composites of my PC.
I don't care what I have to do to hook it up if it involves different patch cables I just need it to work.
So please if someone is running PD10 on an HP computer running Win7. what capture device are you using? Thank You, tuneman
All vodi
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Aug 21, 2009 11:24 Messages: 1431 Offline
[Post New]
Have you posted this issue before on this forum ? It looks very similar to another PVR post. Win 10, i7
garioch7
Senior Contributor Location: Port Hood, Nova Scotia, Canada Joined: Feb 07, 2011 06:45 Messages: 852 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Tuneman59: You don't say what model of digital Hi8 camcorder you have. I have a SONY camcorder, and if the Hi8 tape is recorded in digital mode (one hour), you don't need a card at all. I successfully transferred my digital Hi8 via a Firewire connector, which my camcorder has. You can control your camcorder, connected via a Firewire cable, directly from within PD10.

If the tape is recorded in analogue, then you will need a capture device. Personally, I don't use a card. I purchased a package from another vendor that included a "dongle" and software. I use that to capture all of the analogue tapes that I convert: VHS and Hi8. I capture the files in .mpeg2 format and then import those files into PD10, though the software I use to capture does have limited editing/burn capabilities.

Forum rules preclude me from advertising a possibly future competing product, but if you send me a private message, I will tell you what I use for analogue tape conversions.

Hope this helps. Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 02. 2012 04:53

Windows 10 Pro x64
Dell XPS 8930
Intel CoreT i7 (4.6 GHz)
32 GB DDR4-2666 RAM
1 TB PCIe -x4 SSD
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
PD14 Ultimate x64, 4207
CD4 Ultra and AD6 Ultra
Bleeping Computer Malware Response Instructor
tuneman59 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hello, garioch7, Thanks for the reply! The camcorder is a Sony DCR TRV-840. I have always used the av patch cable that came with the camcorder with no issues until now. I never bought a firewire cable because i didn't think i needed one.
Yesterday i was at Radio Shack and decided to pick one up as a desperation move and low and behold I have a new way to record. I plugged it in, turned the camcorder on and Windows loaded the drivers. I already captured one video right in PD10. The only thing I noticed was that the sound had some choppy spots in it which isn't good because these are videos of me playing music to be loaded on my YouTube site. I didn't actually notice it in the playback but I didn't spend alot of time messing with it.
The one thing I did notice and I am not sure why this is but the preview in the PD10 window on the edit page looks really crappy compared to the way it used to look.
It is blurry, I guess is the best way to describe it. I have tried both 4:3 and 16:9 one worse than the other a little bit but it is not as clear as it once was. Do you have any thoughts on that? Thank You, tuneman
tuneman59 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hdedit, I don't recall posting before but I may have early on or with a past version of PD. Whichever the case i never got a resolution until now. Thanks
garioch7
Senior Contributor Location: Port Hood, Nova Scotia, Canada Joined: Feb 07, 2011 06:45 Messages: 852 Offline
[Post New]
Tuneman59: Glad that the firewire worked for you as well as it works for me. I wouldn't get too upset with audio/video preview on capture. Get that video into your timeline and see how it looks then. If it doesn't look good and you have your preview quality set to high, then we need to investigate further if you produce the file and it is still not of appropriate quality. I didn't pay much attention to the preview when I was firewiring some of my Hi8 digital from my TRV840 because the app and device that I use for converting analogue video tape is always a bit off, audio and video, but is fine when I get it into the timeline and produce it eventually.

That is the same model of camcorder as my old one, which I still have, and use occasionally. The aspect ratio is normally 4:3 for that camcorder.

Hope this helps. Let us know how you make out. Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil Windows 10 Pro x64
Dell XPS 8930
Intel CoreT i7 (4.6 GHz)
32 GB DDR4-2666 RAM
1 TB PCIe -x4 SSD
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
PD14 Ultimate x64, 4207
CD4 Ultra and AD6 Ultra
Bleeping Computer Malware Response Instructor