Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
4mins production took more than 2 hours to produce
EXR [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 26, 2012 20:32 Messages: 27 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Dafydd,

I have some videos taken from my LX5 camera. I converted the original MTS file to MKV format. I'm using a window vista OS. I produced as a standard 2D, output as H.264 AVC, with 1920 X 1080 resolution. My question is this. The production lenght is only 4mins and it took more than 3 hours to produce it.

The rendering speed is too slow. I am wondering, now the production is only 4 mins, if i have a 4hours production, it would probably take few days to produce it. How can i shorten or speed up the producing time with the requirement i need above? I can understand higher resolution take more time, just like bigger car require higher petrol consumption, but 4mins production took more than 4 hours is too long Dafydd.

You know Dafydd, i love this software very much because the features was just flawless. However, the producing speed is something i cannot accept.
Bubba in TX
Senior Contributor Location: Central Texas Joined: Dec 12, 2009 21:32 Messages: 1332 Offline
[Post New]
Yep that may seem like a long time.... but depending on your computer it may not be....

Since we have no idea what your computer specs are, or how you set up your output, not to mention that you are producing what takes the longest and uses most resources anyway..... sounds like your computer is not up to it or needs to be tweaked. What is your video card? RAM? Give us a Dxdiag...... __________________________________________
Windows 8 Pro 64 bit

CyberLink PowerDirector 10 Tutorials
PDtoots PowerDirector Tutorials

**NOTICE**
When you are asked to provide a DXDIAG you go the following link and do part "B". Your posted specs are NOT what we are looking for as they tell us nothing. The specs on the box of your computer mean nothing. The DXDIAG shows us how your computer is configured as it runs.

DXDIAG Link
EXR [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Bubba,

I'm grateful to your reply. I think you are correct, my computer system is not up to it. I attached a screen-shot for you to see. Please share with me,

1) What is the ideal RAM for video production?

2) What is the best video card for video production?

3) Does a good RAM and video card helps to speed up the producing speed? For example, if i have both things on hand, instead of 2hours i may only take 30mins?

4) The slow producing speed is it solely because of my RAM and video card? Or there are also other contributing factors?
 Filename
Doc1.pdf
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
59 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
368 time(s)
Bubba in TX
Senior Contributor Location: Central Texas Joined: Dec 12, 2009 21:32 Messages: 1332 Offline
[Post New]
EXR...

Go here and give us part B Dxdiag. That gives us the "real" configuration of your system...... then we will go from there....

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/7958.page

You will see the option to save your Dxdiag which it will save as a text file, then open a post and attach it using the blue attach button on the bottom of the post window....

Dxdiag is a windows applet by the way.....

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 27. 2012 22:07

CyberLink PowerDirector 10 Tutorials
PDtoots PowerDirector Tutorials

**NOTICE**
When you are asked to provide a DXDIAG you go the following link and do part "B". Your posted specs are NOT what we are looking for as they tell us nothing. The specs on the box of your computer mean nothing. The DXDIAG shows us how your computer is configured as it runs.

DXDIAG Link
EXR [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Bubba, here you go.
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
49 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
438 time(s)
Anonymous [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hm.
There are - I'm afraid - no positive answers possible. I don't know the exact "minimum specs" required for PD10, but:
You use a DualCore CPU @ 2GHz
You have 3 GB of RAM
Your graphic card provides 1.3 GB of memory - most probably an "on board" chip
And your drive C: offers to little free space.
With these specs, I'm afraid, PD10 cannot work faster, unless you sacrifice video quality.
With the specs of my machine a 4 minute clip needs (extrapolated) about 1-5 minutes for rendering at your target resolution, depending on the complexity of the project.

Sorry.
Michael.
garioch7
Senior Contributor Location: Port Hood, Nova Scotia, Canada Joined: Feb 07, 2011 06:45 Messages: 852 Offline
[Post New]
EXR: Just to add to what Michael has said, I am actually surprised that you got your computer to render HD video at all. Your on-board video chipset has but 64 MB of dedicated video RAM, you are running Vista Home Basic, presumably because your configuration just couldn't support the damands of Windows AERO video. Moreover, there is only 4.2 GB of free space on your drive C:\.

There was a recent post about the amount of HD space needed on C:\ which you could search, but I think your computer is just not up to what you are asking of it. The link to the minimum specs for PD10 is below:

http://www.cyberlink.com/products/powerdirector/requirements_en_CA.html

If you want to have better rendering/burning times, I think you should consider upgrading your computer.

Hope this helps. Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil Windows 10 Pro x64
Dell XPS 8930
Intel CoreT i7 (4.6 GHz)
32 GB DDR4-2666 RAM
1 TB PCIe -x4 SSD
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
PD14 Ultimate x64, 4207
CD4 Ultra and AD6 Ultra
Bleeping Computer Malware Response Instructor
EXR [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Michael,

Thank you for your advise. Looks like the problem is with my computer. Would you mind to share with me what is your computer confirguration so that when i do my upgrade, i will know what confirguration will be good for video production. I am impressed with your rendering speed for a 4 minute clip needs about 1-5 minutes. Please share what processor, what RAM, and what video card you are using?

Hi Phil, thank you for your advise too. I am grateful to you. My video project is all done on my external drive which has 1TB of harddisk space. Prehaps you would also like to share with me what processor, what RAM, and what video card you are using? So that when i upgrade my computer system, i will get a better result.

Anonymous [Avatar]
[Post New]
EXR,
You're welcome.
Just collect the data from my signature area. - But have a look-around in this forum, my configuration is not necessarily the optimal one...
Concerning free disk space, this concerns ONLY drive C:, as PD has its outsourced files there. As far as I remember from various threads in this forum, about 70 GB are recommended free disk space on C: - no matter how many TB's are on other drives (which PD does not care about).
Michael.
EXR [Avatar]
[Post New]

Hi Michael, if a 4mins clip only took you 1-5mins, your computer system must be up to certain high standard. Michael, the rendering speed is it solely depends on 3 core factors as below based on your computer system? I mean, the rest of the computer configuration does not constitute any issue in rendering videos.

1) Intel Core i7-940 @ 4x2.93GHz
2) 3x2GB Corsair XMS3 DIMM PC3-10667U CL7-7-7-20 (DDR3-1333)
3) Asus Matrix (Nvidia GeForce) GTX 285 3813MB

If your answer to the above is yes, and if I have my system to configure like this, what is your opinion? Do you think it will helps with the rendering speed?

1) 2nd Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 Processor (3.4GHz, 8MB Cache)
2) Genuine Windows(R) 7 Home Premium SP1 64 bit
3) 16GB (4X4GB) DDR3 SDRAM 1333MHz Memory
4) 1TB SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive with Native Command Queuing
5) 1.25GB GDDR5 NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GTX 560 Ti

Finally, assuming I configure my computer system as per the specification above, and then I install PD10 on C: drive. But the project I am doing is on an external 2TB drive, it would be like what you said, “no matter how many TB's are on other drives (which PD does not care about).” Am i correct Michael?

Alright, lets say instead of installing PD 10 software on C: drive, I install it on my external 2TB drive and do my project there and render everything at the 2TB drive. Do you think it will works faster? You know what I mean right? During installation, I can choose to change to another drive instead of C: drive.

garioch7
Senior Contributor Location: Port Hood, Nova Scotia, Canada Joined: Feb 07, 2011 06:45 Messages: 852 Offline
[Post New]
EXR: Your proposed computer specs should be more than adequate to run PD10 and SUBSTANTIALLY reduce your render times.

If I was you though, I would copy my project files from the external drive to your new 1 TB drive for editing, producing, and burning. I say that because a limiting factor will be the USB port throughput speeds. Once you have produced your file, you can copy everything back to the external drive for permanent storage. Internal drives are always faster, even than US3.0 external drives.

Just my two cents. Good luck and let us know how you make out. Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil Windows 10 Pro x64
Dell XPS 8930
Intel CoreT i7 (4.6 GHz)
32 GB DDR4-2666 RAM
1 TB PCIe -x4 SSD
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
PD14 Ultimate x64, 4207
CD4 Ultra and AD6 Ultra
Michael8511
Contributor Location: U.S.A. Indiana Joined: Jan 14, 2012 16:12 Messages: 374 Offline
[Post New]
I have a i7 860 older one in a desktop. I have a laptop with a i5 sandy bridge. I like the sandy bridge with the Intel Quick Sync Video setting. Sunday I render a 20 minute clip on the i5 it took 11 minutes.

I would say the i7 2600k is a good bang for you buck. Even a i5 2500k. Or if it will be a few months or so Intel might have the i7-3770k. It will be the IVY bridge. It will run at 3500 MHZ and Turbo to 3900 MHZ. They are saying should cost $332 maybe out in April of 2012. Plus that might drop the price of the 2600k.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 29. 2012 08:54

Intel i7 5960X overclock to 4 Ghz 16 GB of ram.
GoPro 4
Canon VIXIA HF G10
Canon EOS Rebel T3
Canon EOS 70D
My Vimeo Channel http://vimeo.com/user3339631/videos
Anonymous [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote:
Hi Michael, if a 4mins clip only took you 1-5mins, your computer system must be up to certain high standard. Michael, the rendering speed is it solely depends on 3 core factors as below based on your computer system? I mean, the rest of the computer configuration does not constitute any issue in rendering videos.

1) Intel Core i7-940 @ 4x2.93GHz
2) 3x2GB Corsair XMS3 DIMM PC3-10667U CL7-7-7-20 (DDR3-1333)
3) Asus Matrix (Nvidia GeForce) GTX 285 3813MB

If your answer to the above is yes, and if I have my system to configure like this, what is your opinion? Do you think it will helps with the rendering speed?

1) 2nd Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 Processor (3.4GHz, 8MB Cache)
2) Genuine Windows(R) 7 Home Premium SP1 64 bit
3) 16GB (4X4GB) DDR3 SDRAM 1333MHz Memory
4) 1TB SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive with Native Command Queuing
5) 1.25GB GDDR5 NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GTX 560 Ti

The answer IS yes - and you already got other responses concerning your proposed configuration.
I can't say anything about the intended GTX 560 - but I quess, it should be 'sufficient'

Quote:
Finally, assuming I configure my computer system as per the specification above, and then I install PD10 on C: drive. But the project I am doing is on an external 2TB drive, it would be like what you said, “no matter how many TB's are on other drives (which PD does not care about).” Am i correct Michael?

Alright, lets say instead of installing PD 10 software on C: drive, I install it on my external 2TB drive and do my project there and render everything at the 2TB drive. Do you think it will works faster? You know what I mean right? During installation, I can choose to change to another drive instead of C: drive.

I don't remember that the installation of PD elsewhere than in the default path (C:\Program Files\.....) would bring advantages, so why change the installation path? (potential add-on-packages, the installation of which might rely on the default path _could_ cause problems - not that I knew of any, yet, but it MIGHT be.)
The external drive.
Most probably you connect it via USB, and there is, as already mentioned, a bottleneck in your system.
As if you'd buy a ferrari sportscar and mount it on bicycle wheels - you'll NEVER get the REAL potential of the ferrari in that case!
Even USB-3 never brings the data transfer rate, an internal SATA drive is capable of.
Unless you've got an external SATA connector....
I use external drives only for backup purposes.
And there I already got an USB-3-drive (3TB) for my video project data - but only for the backup (the backup-time via USB-2 became unfeasibly long).
The 'work files' are located on an internal 2TB SATA drive.

Installing PD on an external drive - why? All working files, shadow files, downloaded effects, themes, etc... will in any case be located at C:\Users\....\Appdata\.... - so you produce a second bottleneck.

Nevertheless: There can't be much wrong with your planned config; only take care, whether the components are compatible with each other!
Good luck!

(BTW: The original software I tried to optimize my computer for, was the Microsoft Flight Simulator.
The benefits on faster video editing were - at first - only 'unintentional, but welcome'.)

Michael.
EXR [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Phil, thank you very much for your wonderful advise. Your advise is not to create, edit and produce in an external drive. It will also slow down the rendering speed. This one make sense.

Hi Michael8511, thank you very much for your advise too. Will keep a look out on your wonderful advise.

Hi Michael, your advise is of valuable to me. You are a great man, thank you so much Michael. After all these conversation, looks like in order for me to have a faster rendering speed, changing the computer system is essential. I have another question for you.

Under the EDIT tab, we will see the Library Window where all our videos and music are in there, and then we drag it to the timeline. Once dragged, there will be a green tick mark. My question is, all these videos and music which is inside the Library Window can be deleted, what will happen if i delete them Michael? I wanted to delete because there are alot of them. Assuming i have 20 mp3 and i deleted all of them. I tried to delete. And when i open back my project, it does not affect anything and my music is still on the timeline. So assuming after i dragged everything onto the timeline, and i delete everything on the Library Window, will it cause any problem during the production process or during producing the video?
garioch7
[Post New]
EXR: Bubba recently set me straight on this issue, thank you Bubba. You can delete the used files from your media library - just don't delete the media files from your disk.

Hope this helps. Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil Windows 10 Pro x64
Dell XPS 8930
Intel CoreT i7 (4.6 GHz)
32 GB DDR4-2666 RAM
1 TB PCIe -x4 SSD
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
PD14 Ultimate x64, 4207
CD4 Ultra and AD6 Ultra
Anonymous [Avatar]
[Post New]
Though we're getting off the primary topic:
The 'library' is nothing but the "reservoir" of files, each represented by an icon or preview image, from which you may choose to build your video. Whether you delete or add a file to this library does not affect your project per se.
Only deleting from disk REALLY removes files - but usually this is not recommended

Phil already explained it - in less words.

Michael.
James1
Senior Contributor Location: Surrey, B.C., Canada Joined: Jun 10, 2010 16:20 Messages: 1783 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
Just to but in here..I am running an Asus P867LE motherboard with Intel i7-2600-3.4Gh processor along with Geforce 560ti graphic accelerator and 12GB memory a 1.5 Terabyte hard drive and a 1.5 Terabyte usb drive. I have had very few problems with my system. Usually the system 'hiccups' after a windows update..or graphic card update till I reboot.
JIm
p.s the gerforce 560ti is built for gaming there is another 560 model but not sure the difference, also the i7 2600 processor there is a 2600K that is supposed to be for video editing. Intel i7-2600@3.4Gz Geforce 560ti-1GB Graphic accelerator, windows 7 Premium 12GB memory

Visit GranPapa64's channel for your YouTube experience of the day!
EXR [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you very much for all of your reply and guidance. I really appreciate it. That is all for now.
EXR [Avatar]
[Post New]
Michael, i wonder if i turn off the preview window when i'm producing the video, does it helps to render the video faster? Where can i find the command to turn on/off the preview window?
CubbyHouseFilms
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne, Australia Joined: Jul 14, 2009 04:23 Messages: 2208 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Michael, i wonder if i turn off the preview window when i'm producing the video, does it helps to render the video faster? Where can i find the command to turn on/off the preview window?

Hi EXR

Uncheck the box as per photo. I'm not sure if it will speed up your production time - common sense says it should as your computer is using less resources.

Happy editing Happing editing

Best Regards

Neil
CubbyHouseFilms

My Youtube Channel
My Vimeo Channel
PD3.5, 5, 6 & 7. Computer: Dell Dimension 5150, Intel Pen. 2.80 GHz, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT 256MB, Windows XP Pro!!
PD8 Ultra v3022. Computer: Dell Studio 1747, Intel, i7 Q740 1.73 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 560v 1GB, Windows 7 Ult. 64
PD10 Ultra v2023. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD12 Ultra v2930. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD13 Ultim v3516. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD16 Live v2101 Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 16GB RAM, ATI Mob.Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
Director Suite 6: PowerDirector 16 Live, PhotoDirector 9, ColorDirector 6, AudioDirector 8

Cameras: Sony(s) HXR-NX5P, HXR-NX70P, NEX-VG10E, a6300 4k, HDR TG5E, GoPro 4 Black, Canon 6D DSLR

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
- PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!