Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Transfer CLPD8 without re-installation?
TwillightSun218 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 30, 2011 03:21 Messages: 22 Offline
[Post New]
I am currently contemplating about wiping out my hard-drive completely and restoring it to factory settings.
The common problem with that, of course, is the need to re-install all applications as it is impossible to back up the applications as installed even if I were to create a complete mirror of the drive to my external (portable) drive.

At this point, I have most of what I need (original CD/DVDs etc) to re-install most applications without much trouble. The problem is CLPD8. I've purchased and installed the software at a local store about two years ago and no longer have the original CD/DVD or the activation code etc that came with it. Taking to the shop I purchased it from doesn't do much good either since it's been two years and I've lost track of the receipt.

I've stated this in numerous other threads as well, but I prefer version 8 over 10 indefinitely.

I realize I'm at fault and am in a bad position with all of the above said, and I also realize that this most likely is out of your area of expertise. But...
Is there any possible way to transfer the currently installed CLPD8 to a portable drive and then back on to the newly wiped out hard-drive on the same laptop without re-installation?
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
I realize I'm at fault and am in a bad position with all of the above said, and I also realize that this most likely is out of your area of expertise. But...
Is there any possible way to transfer the currently installed CLPD8 to a portable drive and then back on to the newly wiped out hard-drive on the same laptop without re-installation?

Under one condition would that be possible.

The one condition being that every thing is the same on the computer.

Programs splash files all over Windows and in the registry, so without installing the program all conditions of the computer would have to be the same.

That is how a Image backup works, you make an image of the hard drive and restore that image, every thing is the same as before.

The smart thing to do if you do not have the installation material for PD 8 is to buy a copy from one of Cyberlink's retail partners.

Amazon has Powerdirector 8 Ultra for $29.99.

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

TwillightSun218 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Sorry for the late response.

Well, the objective of wiping out the HD is to eliminate all viruses and spywares, malwares etc that are likely on it at the moment - so making a complete mirror of it as you mention would defeat the sole purpose.

I was, however, not aware that CLPD8 was still available on the market.
$30 seems very reasonable - thank you for the info.
CubbyHouseFilms
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne, Australia Joined: Jul 14, 2009 04:23 Messages: 2208 Offline
[Post New]
Quote:

I've stated this in numerous other threads as well, but I prefer version 8 over 10 indefinitely.

PD8 is more stable but a tad slower than PD10

Ebay has boxed versions of PD8 Ultra

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PowerDirector-8-Ultra-Cyberlink-Brand-New-Free-Gift-/160639391874?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2566da9882#ht_500wt_1156 Happing editing

Best Regards

Neil
CubbyHouseFilms

My Youtube Channel
My Vimeo Channel
PD3.5, 5, 6 & 7. Computer: Dell Dimension 5150, Intel Pen. 2.80 GHz, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT 256MB, Windows XP Pro!!
PD8 Ultra v3022. Computer: Dell Studio 1747, Intel, i7 Q740 1.73 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 560v 1GB, Windows 7 Ult. 64
PD10 Ultra v2023. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD12 Ultra v2930. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD13 Ultim v3516. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD16 Live v2101 Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 16GB RAM, ATI Mob.Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
Director Suite 6: PowerDirector 16 Live, PhotoDirector 9, ColorDirector 6, AudioDirector 8

Cameras: Sony(s) HXR-NX5P, HXR-NX70P, NEX-VG10E, a6300 4k, HDR TG5E, GoPro 4 Black, Canon 6D DSLR

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
- PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!

Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote:
Quote:

PD8 is more stable but a tad slower than PD10

Ebay has boxed versions of PD8 Ultra

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PowerDirector-8-Ultra-Cyberlink-Brand-New-Free-Gift-/160639391874?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2566da9882#ht_500wt_1156

Ebay is not a Regional store. And there are reports of Powerdirector bought on Ebay that do not Component Activate.
You may be able to get away with PD8 on Ebay because PD8 does not need Component Activation, Just a CD Key.
Even so, You could be buying a pirated copy.

http://www.cyberlink.com/stat/regional-stores/enu/index.jsp

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

TwillightSun218 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Understood about the potential for pirated software, but I do have another question regarding the different versions.

It may be wise to start a new thread but it isn't completely unrelated so...

My problem with CLPD10 is the new feature that was added that makes it much less inconvenient when attempting to add video, title slide, PiP item, audio clip, or anything to that nature in between already existing clips, titles, PiPs etc on the time.
In CLPD8, I can simply added in between as if something was inserted without any hassle, but CLPD10 asks you an option (...and I uninstalled the trial so I don't recall the exact message), either of which will not grant what was easily possible with 8.
I'm also not sure if the horrible output of preview video quality on the top right hand of the screen in CLPD10 had to do with the fact that I was using the trial version, but this is another significant draw back because I rely heavily on the previews to verify everything is correct as is - and 8 had outstanding preview quality.
The only feature I prefer in 10 over 8 is the option to Normalize Audio.

And one last question that is unrelated to this topic: every once in a while, when I attempt to "save" a project file, CLPD8 crashes and will not save the file. (Once I attempt to save by clicking on the save disk icon at the top left, CLPD8 freezes and the message "Powerdirector has stopped working" pops up). This is a serious blow since it occurs during the save process, making it impossible to do anything. I do have more than sufficient disk space, yet this has happened numerous times (although the auto-save feature has helped the recovery process). Do you have any idea what may be causing this Carl?
Carl312
[Post New]
And one last question that is unrelated to this topic: every once in a while, when I attempt to "save" a project file, CLPD8 crashes and will not save the file. (Once I attempt to save by clicking on the save disk icon at the top left, CLPD8 freezes and the message "Powerdirector has stopped working" pops up). This is a serious blow since it occurs during the save process, making it impossible to do anything. I do have more than sufficient disk space, yet this has happened numerous times (although the auto-save feature has helped the recovery process). Do you have any idea what may be causing this Carl?

It would take a bit of trouble shooting, but that is not a normal occurrence in Powerdirector 8.

I do know that if the computer resources are low or heavily used, PD8 does seem to crash at the most inopportune times.

PD8 is after all a 32 bit program and does not use all of the available resources on a 64 bit computer. Your computer may have a ton of available memory and Hard drive space, but PD8 just does not use that extra space.

The more resources the computer has the less likely PD8 is to crash.

If you are running any other task at the same time as PD8, that sometimes will cause PD8 to crash.

I do not know much about PD 10, I have not even tried the trial. I downloaded the trial, but have never installed it.

I have Powerdirector 9 Ultra 64 on this computer and I do not want to take the chance of messing up the PD 9 installation. It works too well on this computer, so I do not want to take the chance of messing up my PD9.

This is the only computer I have that PD 10 would run on, the other computers I have are not near the power of this one.

TwillightSun218 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you for that input Carl.

Now, I have also considered CLPD9. Does CLPD9 have any of the issues I mentioned in the previous post that were not apparent in CLPD8?

CLPD8 - Pros: optimal editing options, high quality preview ; Cons - no audio normalization, the 32-bit issue leading to constant crashes
CLPD10 - Pros: audio normalization ; Cons - bad preview quality, inconvenient editing options, and no "edge" overall that makes it far superior to ver. 8

I have no idea what 9 looks like, and the side-by-side comparisons on the CLPD website didn't educate me much either.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Twilight -

It took people a while to adjust their thinking & workflow after making the switch from PD8 to PD9 (& then PD10, which functions in much the same way as PD9).

Without launching into a full-blown side-by-side comparison, PD9/10 are quite different to PD8 & require a different way of working. As you say, both have their pros & cons. PD10 is (basically) PD9 with 3D.

Preview Quality with PD8 was/is more limited than the 64-bit PD9/10, which has 5 settings...

After you get used to the lack of "snap-to" when you drop in a clip, you'll probably enjoy the flexibility of PD9/10 where every video track has all functions available to it... unlike PD8, which had/has a main track and PiP tracks.

NO - no version is immune to crashing, freezing or glitches. Different users with different systems get different results. A will say PD10 is faster & more stable. B will say PD9 or PD8 is. There is no absolute truth about that. PD11 is somewhere in the pipeline, & is (apparently) being rebuilt from the ground up. That should tell you something.

Cheers - Tony
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Kevin R.
Contributor Location: Deep in the Heart of Texas Joined: Aug 17, 2010 15:58 Messages: 320 Offline
[Post New]
I'm still stuck with 8 but love it. I currently can't afford to buy a new version every 9-10 months or as CL decides to release another version. You'd think with the costs of these products, they could offer free upgrades if it was less then a year after purchase and no newer versions were out yet, which was my case. Saving the world, one goofy video and meme at a time.
Carl312
[Post New]
Quote: I'm still stuck with 8 but love it. I currently can't afford to buy a new version every 9-10 months or as CL decides to release another version. You'd think with the costs of these products, they could offer free upgrades if it was less then a year after purchase and no newer versions were out yet, which was my case.

The trouble with that is Cyberlink releases a new version every year.

I am using PD9 Ultra 64 and it is great, a big improvement over PD8 Ultra.

I sometimes wish that PD 9 would snap-to the beginning of Track 1. It would be great if there was a toggle to snap or not snap.

TwillightSun218 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you everyone for the input. On that front, is there a way to save all the Title and PiP Slides created in CLPD8 to a folder so that I can copy it on to my external drive, wipe out the PC HardDrive back to factory settings, re-install CLPD8 or possibly a newer version of CLPD and import those Title/PiP tracks into the new project.

I seem to be able to locate the saved files but I attempted doing this on the trial version of CLPD10 and did not work...
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Twilight -

I'm not sure what your back-up procedures are & I guess you're talking about customised titles & PiP objects (i.e. ones you've made or modified yourself).

When you uninstall PD, none of your customised things get lost because they're stored elsewhere.

■ Customised "things" for PD8 are stored in C:\Users\xxxx\Documents\CyberLink\PowerDirector\8.0 (in sub-folders called MyPnPS, MyTitles & MyPaths. Customised menus... C:\Users\xxxx\Documents\CyberLink\Custom Menus (in sub-folders)

So - if you back up your Documents folder, as I'd expect you would before doing a clean install of your system, you can simply transfer those items into the newly created folders after re-installing PD.

Cheers - Tony
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
TwillightSun218 [Avatar]
[Post New]
ynotfish - Thank you for the clarification. It appears that I was using an incorrect method during the import process.

I apologize for the late response. While it does look like I have additional questions, I'll be looking to state them in a new thread if and when those comes up.