Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Interlacing Progressive clips
rbowser [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Aug 08, 2011 16:48 Messages: 515 Offline
[Post New]
I want to make versions of project files which will display as well as possible on a standard TV, from DVD discs. The source files in the PD projects are Progressive clips. Will it do any good to right click, go to TV Format options and change the clips to Interlaced, trying Top Field first?--- I mean, since they're Progressive clips - will changing that setting reduce the flicker and horizontal line problem?

Randy B.
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I want to make versions of project files which will display as well as possible on a standard TV, from DVD discs. The source files in the PD projects are Progressive clips. Will it do any good to right click, go to TV Format options and change the clips to Interlaced, trying Top Field first?--- I mean, since they're Progressive clips - will changing that setting reduce the flicker and horizontal line problem?

Randy B.

Won't make any difference.

DVD Videos produced in Powerdirector are interlaced even if the source is progressive.

What you see from a DVD Video disk is largely dependant on the TV set and the DVD player.

You can not judge what the DVD is going to look like in Powerdirector's preview window.
You can only judge the quality of the DVD by playing it in a stand-alone player and TV set.

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

rbowser [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote:

Won't make any difference.

DVD Videos produced in Powerdirector are interlaced even if the source is progressive.

What you see from a DVD Video disk is largely dependant on the TV set and the DVD player.

You can not judge what the DVD is going to look like in Powerdirector's preview window.
You can only judge the quality of the DVD by playing it in a stand-alone player and TV set.

Thanks for the info, Carl - My little test projects seemed to be showing me that it doesn't make any difference to set those Progressive clips to Interlaced, now it's good to have it confirmed that it really doesn't make any difference.

PD always interlaces - I guess that make sense, trying to make a DVD folder/disc as optimized as possible. But I do get flicker and some horizontal lines in the final test as watched on a TV, as if the DVD player is trying to deal with Progressive video. I totally get that I'm not going to see what things will be like on a TV until I burn a disc and try it. I'm going through my 100 disc cake of blanks like crazy!

Is there a universal setting I'm not finding, for having PD try the other field order? - Maybe it's using Top first and these clips would be better with Bottom first, or the other way around. --Or,--since they're Progressive to begin with, I guess it shouldn't matter.

OK - guess this is as good as it can get. It's disappointing. At least computer versions of the vids look fine.

Thanks again.

Randy B.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 17. 2012 17:24

Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
PD always interlaces - I guess that make sense, trying to make a DVD folder/disc as optimized as possible. But I do get flicker and some horizontal lines in the final test as watched on a TV, as if the DVD player is trying to deal with Progressive video. I totally get that I'm not going to see what things will be like on a TV until I burn a disc and try it. I'm going through my 100 disc cake of blanks like crazy!

You are wasting disks.

In the Create Disk Module, Uncheck burn disk, Check Burn Folder.

You will then create the disk structure without burning up disks.

Nobody needs 100 drink coasters!

There is software the will view the disk folder on your computer.
PowerDVD has that function.

I use a competitor's software that plays DVD folders and Blu-Ray folders.
Search for "TMT5" without quotes.
In Google it is probably the first hit.

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

rbowser [Avatar]
[Post New]
Carl, I never burn to disk, only to folder. And there's no difficulty in seeing the videos on a computer. No special software is needed. I just click on the VIDEO_TS folder, then the VIDEO_TS.IFO file.

But that doesn't show me what a video will look like on a TV.

The reason I'm burning test disks is to see what the projects will really be looking like on a TV. It's the interlacing I was mostly concerned about when I wrote yesterday.

As you said in your previous reply, "...You can only judge the quality of the DVD by playing it in a stand-alone player and TV set..."

Absolutely right. Hence all the drink coasters I've been making recently.

I don't have a way to plug a TV into my computer, by the way. I use 2 monitors, the space is confined etc--it would be beyond impractical to try balancing a set in here somewhere for this. And the DVD player is also part of the equation.

So, I have to burn test copies and try them on the home entertainment center.

Randy B.

Quote:
You are wasting disks.

In the Create Disk Module, Uncheck burn disk, Check Burn Folder.

You will then create the disk structure without burning up disks.

Nobody needs 100 drink coasters!

There is software the will view the disk folder on your computer.
PowerDVD has that function.

I use a competitor's software that plays DVD folders and Blu-Ray folders.
Search for "TMT5" without quotes.
In Google it is probably the first hit.

Carl312
[Post New]
rbowser,

Ok, I hope your budget covers the drink coasters.

At least the cost of DVDs is way down from what it used to be.

rbowser [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: rbowser,

Hi, Carl - I don't understand what other option I have since what I need to test is how a hard disc copy plays on my DVD player and TV.--- ? I can see a DVD folder easily on my computer, but that gives me no indication of how it will play on a standard TV - So--?-- If there's an option I'm not aware of, I'd love to hear it.

Randy B.
Carl312
[Post New]
Quote:
Quote: rbowser,

Hi, Carl - I don't understand what other option I have since what I need to test is how a hard disc copy plays on my DVD player and TV.--- ? I can see a DVD folder easily on my computer, but that gives me no indication of how it will play on a standard TV - So--?-- If there's an option I'm not aware of, I'd love to hear it.

Randy B.

You are not wrong. The only true test is what you see on your TV from the DVD.

There are players that will play content direct from the computer on a New TV set.

This is what is available now.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136997

rbowser [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote:

You are not wrong. The only true test is what you see on your TV from the DVD.

There are players that will play content direct from the computer on a New TV set.

This is what is available now.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136997

Hello again, Carl - Thanks for the link. I recently purchased Roku for streaming my Netflix rentals, but it doesn't stream from my computer. That's my budget for add-ons for now. I'll need to stick with my $15 cakes of 100 DVDs for tests.

But since you're saying that PD interlaces output, even when dealing with progressive files, it looks like I'm stuck with the flickering. No more tests are really needed - this is what I get from these particular files. Oh well!

Randy B.