Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Format Factory help
rbowser [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Aug 08, 2011 16:48 Messages: 515 Offline
[Post New]
Carl was recently good enough to let me know about Format Factory. I'm now trying to use it to convert files to FLV format so I can stream files from my website.

One clicks on FLV, edits the options as wanted, and there's the choice to then save that profile. Fine, I save it. I drag in my video file to be converted - But over and over it's wrong, it doesn't come out in the format I just specified.

I look in Format Factory again - and I can't find where one loads a saved profile - just the pre-sets come up. If I click FLV again - it's the default settings - I do all the settings again, save -- But--same result.

How does one get a custom profile to be used in FF?-----??

Randy B.
rbowser [Avatar]
[Post New]
Ok - Since posting I figured out the routine of going to "All to Custom" in order to access saved profiles.

But I have 15 discarded attempts now to convert a 1440X1080 vid to FLV. None of the ratios work - they all squish the picture in, obviously the wrong proportions.

The clips I'm converting are 16:9 - surely there's a setting that will make these work right as FLV files?

Randy B.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Randy -

I've used FF quite a bit, but had never attempted to convert a 1440x1080 file before.

I have now! It would appear that FF cannot read the non-square pixel format properly.

I tried a number of custom profiles to try to trick it into giving me a correctly proportioned output file. It produced 4:3 files or 16:9 videos in a 4:3 frame. MediaInfo read every file as 4:3.

The only way I succeeded in getting a 16:9 flv file was to first produce the 1440x1080 video (in PD) to a regular 16:9 profile (1280x720 or 1920x1080) > the convert it in FF.

P.S. FF isn't the only coverter that had trouble recognising the 1440x1080 profile.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
rbowser [Avatar]
[Post New]
It's Tenacious Tony! - It's admirable how you tackle these frustrating little challenges that can come up.

I appreciate the confirmation that FF can't handle non-square pixels properly - that's exactly what the issue was. When I wrote these posts I was at the tail end of far too many hours working on the computer, and was frazzled. We all get there once in awhile.

When I returned to the problem fresh the next day, I looked online for the 16:9 formats which Flash files can handle, and produced a short test clip at 1280X720. The Flash copy then of course came out fine. It was a simple solution that I was just too tired to think of earlier, and it's just as you discovered for yourself.

So - Solved. Thanks for your reply, Tony.
Randy

Quote: Hi Randy -

I've used FF quite a bit, but had never attempted to convert a 1440x1080 file before.

I have now! It would appear that FF cannot read the non-square pixel format properly.

I tried a number of custom profiles to try to trick it into giving me a correctly proportioned output file. It produced 4:3 files or 16:9 videos in a 4:3 frame. MediaInfo read every file as 4:3.

The only way I succeeded in getting a 16:9 flv file was to first produce the 1440x1080 video (in PD) to a regular 16:9 profile (1280x720 or 1920x1080) > the convert it in FF.

P.S. FF isn't the only coverter that had trouble recognising the 1440x1080 profile.

Cheers - Tony