Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Dropouts in produced output files
Inner Range [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 11, 2012 01:11 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I have produced a few short videos in Powerdirector Ultra 10.0.0.1129b
The problem I am having is that mo matter which ouput produce file format profile i choose i always get random dropouts / noise artifacts in the produced file. (I am usually using H264 or MPEG 4 formats)
You can see an example of the problem in an AVI file which you can download from here: http://mirror.innerrange.com/mirror/downloads/tempdownloads/Example of flash-dropout problem.avi

(This AVI is a screen capature of the actual MPEG4 output)

See the dropout at about 5 seconds into it,

Does any know what could be causing this or how to avoid it?

Running on Win7 64Bit Intel Core i3 CPU with 4Gig Mem
[Post New]
I get a 404 error that the example page cannot be found.

As a partial nerd, I wonder if there is some program running in the background that starts up and causes the blip. Could be a download for anti-virus definitions for your security program. Real player checking for updates. Same for Java or similar program. Your not surfing the web when it happens are you? A new page upload causing memory use. What about your email program requesting new messages every so often whenever it is configured to request new messages?

Use your computer to cure Cancer and Aids http://wcgrid.org
James1
Senior Contributor Location: Surrey, B.C., Canada Joined: Jun 10, 2010 16:20 Messages: 1783 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
You are running a 64Bit os system with 4GB memory...no no..., also when if you are writing to disk lower write speed of dVD drive.
Jim Intel i7-2600@3.4Gz Geforce 560ti-1GB Graphic accelerator, windows 7 Premium 12GB memory

Visit GranPapa64's channel for your YouTube experience of the day!
[Post New]
Jim has a good point I didn't think of.

I have a 64x system and have 8gb or Ram. Looking at my processes shows I'm usually using 4gb just idling with Firefox and Thunderbird running. Nothing else. Jim's right, your at the threshold and as soon as something kicks in your computer will cause a blip. Hopefully a lower write speed as he suggests will do it until you get more ram.

Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
Just curious to know myself as I am not sure.

Has anyone here in the forum verified that with a specific project complexity and duration and then testing the same project with two different ram setups;

1. 4 gigs of ram results in a produced video artifact.
2. Adding more ram, problem goes away.

Just interested to know that the addition of ram fixed the problem.

Inner Range, it would be helpful to know more about:
See the sticky topic at the top of the Power Director 10 subject referencing information that is needed:
Screen shot of work space, a short sample of your original footage, etc.

With this information other editors will be now armed with the data to try to possibly reproduce your problem and offer a solution.

Kevin

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Feb 15. 2012 07:53

Check out PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials and more! Over 5,000 Subscribers.
garioch7
Senior Contributor Location: Port Hood, Nova Scotia, Canada Joined: Feb 07, 2011 06:45 Messages: 852 Offline
[Post New]
Cap'n Kevin: Your point is well taken. I run with 16 GB of RAM and occasionally have a burn just hang and time counters continue, but no progress. It normally occurs when I have forgotten to put BitDefender into Game mode or have not selected the lowest available burn speed (8x for DVDs on my rig). Doing both has always resolved the problem. I concur that 4 GB of RAM on a 62-bit OS is kind of marginal. Right now my computer is showing 2.8 GB of RAM in use and no programs are running in the Task Manager but IE, and whatever is going on in the background at a system level.

There have been previous posts from folks who had problems, were advised to add RAM, said they would do so, and then never reported back. One would assume it must have resolved their problem, but, that said, I speculate that PD is "sensitive" to invasive programs, like AV programs, initiating an auto update or scheduled scan, while it is trying to render. Just speculation. I have done no testing, nor do I plan to start removing RAM and putting it back. There are just so many other variables, but you make a good point. Without rigorous testing, one cannot be certain that more RAM is needed, though it certainly wouldn't hurt. I have seen my RAM usage up over 4 GB on my x64 OS when PD is rendering and that is with hardware acceleration turned on.

I will be interested in the comments of the others. Have a great day, and good to see you back again, Cap'n Kevin.

Regards,
-Phil Windows 10 Pro x64
Dell XPS 8930
Intel CoreT i7 (4.6 GHz)
32 GB DDR4-2666 RAM
1 TB PCIe -x4 SSD
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
PD14 Ultimate x64, 4207
CD4 Ultra and AD6 Ultra
Bleeping Computer Malware Response Instructor
[Post New]
There are so manyyy burn problems with PD.

AND once again simply just burn your produced video with NERO and I will add at top burn speed.
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: There are so manyyy burn problems with PD.

AND once again simply just burn your produced video with NERO and I will add at top burn speed.

Hi abslayer,

I don't think that the poster of this topic is having any "burn" problems. Unless I misunderstood his question.

Inner Range wrote:
I have produced a few short videos in Powerdirector Ultra 10.0.0.1129b
The problem I am having is that mo matter which ouput produce file format profile i choose i always get random dropouts / noise artifacts in the produced file. (I am usually using H264 or MPEG 4 formats)

So from what I gather from this, is he produces to a video file H264 or MPEG 4 and when he views the resulting video file he sees random dropouts/ noise artifacts. Not when he watches the burned disc, which I didnt see referenced in his post that he has yet burned a disc. The solution to curing video file dropouts/artifacts and dropouts/artifacts on a burned disc MAY be the same solution, but may not as well.

For me personally, I have seen random produced video artifacts when I produced to a video file and employed using my graphic card to do the rendering, (Hardware Acceleration). I have seen this problem come and go depending on the current PD patch that is installed and the specific version of ATI Graphic Card driver that I have installed. By rolling back to an earlier driver I have sometimes had success in using my graphic card to render the file without blocky video artifacts.

But what I use exclusively now for all my video file rendering is to employ my CPU only to render files. I find the output to ANY produced video format to be consistently GREAT! So I see many topics trying to get Hardware Acceleration to work on their systems, and it probably should! But over the years I have found the CPU rendering method to work for me and how I use Power Director. The savings in rendering time is a factor because it takes a wee bit longer, but not enough to bother me. I just focus my attention on my 3 year old twins and I lose track of the time until the rendering has completed!

Best,

Kevin

Check out PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials and more! Over 5,000 Subscribers.
[Post New]
Opps!! my bad
Just so use to reading about burn problems
Rob1492 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 20, 2012 00:52 Messages: 47 Offline
[Post New]
Prior to rendering, I do a fresh boot, disconnect from the internet (remove the plug), turn off and exit antivirus programs, and exit all unnecessary resident utilities and processes. I do not surf or do anything else when rendering. Yet I can get a very brief audio dropout in my ten-minute rendered MP4 file, no more than one, and not necessarily at the same place. I run a quad-core machine with Win 7 Pro and 8G of RAM. It's possible the throughput is pushed to the limit, and something hiccups as a result. If I get any additional insights to the cause/solution, I'll certainly post it.
[Post New]
Rob1492

Do you lower the write speed of the DVD?

But you sure seem to have covered a lot of the other possibilities. You have gone above and beyond in that area. Use your computer to cure Cancer and Aids http://wcgrid.org
Rob1492 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 20, 2012 00:52 Messages: 47 Offline
[Post New]
I render to the hard drive, so the dropout is part of the rendered file.

The dropout is heard when playing the rendered file from the hard drive, and also when playing the DVD.

I use Imageburn to create the ISO, burn to DVD and verify the files. When burning to DVD, I use the lowest speed possible with my burner, which is 6X.

[Post New]
Wow. You have a doozy of an issue.

I see that others online have had a similar problem.
On another site a person fixed it by changing the fps rate.

I can't think of anything else. But if you try a lower fps rendering rate this might fix it. You have covered just about all the bases and then some.

[Post New]
Just had another thought.

Open task manager. Go to Processes.
Right click on PD10
Change the Priority to High.

This would give precedence to the rendering process over any other computer activity.

Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
What about Hardware Acceleration?

Have you tried rendering without HA?

There have been reports of some Video Card Drivers causing problems in rendering videos.

I have had HA cause Video drop outs on PD9 and ATI video Card. Those problems have gone away since the last time I upgraded my video driver to Catalyst 11.12. The Catalyst 12.1 is the current driver and I have seen reports of problems with that version.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 18. 2012 21:33

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.