CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
USB Power Surge Warnings and Burn/Produce Issues
Reply to this topic
garioch7
Senior Contributor Private Message Location: Port Hood, Nova Scotia, Canada Joined: Feb 07, 2011 06:45 Messages: 851 Offline
[Post New]

Just wanted to pass along some observations about USB Port Power Surge Errors. I was working with PowerDirector 10 Ultra x64, Build 1129b today, trying to produce and burn to disk some very poor quality VHS-EP mode video that I had captured using another program in DVD-HQ .mpeg2 format, which has always worked in the past.

I got the project completed which only had about three dozen transitions, three ten-second fade in and fade out titles at the beginning, and some scrolling credits at the end and probably about 20 minutes on the music track. No other Fix/Enhance or any other tools applied. The PRODUCE phase kept hanging at transitions, so I removed each offending transition (fades and cross overlaps) and finally it did produce the 123-minute video in DVD-SP (.mpeg2 format) successfully.

I then moved on to Create Disc, using the standard Memory Box Menu template, set it for DVD-SP NTSC, reduced my burn speed and tried to burn. It hung at 37 percent. No error message. Remaining time went to 0:00 and Elapsed time just kept incrementing.

Meanwhile my LG BD RE drive was roaring along at full speed. I cancelled out of the burn and exited PD10. I could not eject the DVD (Memorex) either with the switch or via Windows Explorer. It just kept spinning.

Tried a restart. The drive spun all the way through the restart and would not eject when the button was pushed. When the computer rebooted, I started getting Action Centre messages that there was a Power Surge on a USB hub (unknown device) and it should be removed and then the hub reset.

I only have a keyboard, mouse, monitor webcam, and APC UPS USB cables attached to the back (top under the grill in a Maingear) USB 3.0 ports. Removing them did not remove the message.

A cold boot enabled me to remove the DVD, which had been partially burned until it stopped at 37% percent. Inserted fresh DVD and got to 67 percent and then it hung again - no error message. Another cold reboot right away after cancelling the burn and exiting PD10, since the disk would not eject and the drive was going full bore.

Removed that DVD and noted that it had more data burned on it, consistent with it having hung further along (67 percent). USB Power Surge error messages gone.

Researched USB Power Surge messages, which recommended installing new drivers (I have the latest). Another post suggested going to the Device Manager, right clicking Computer, and requesting it scan for Hardware changes. According to that post, if a device had been disabled by Windows, it would show up as disabled and you could simply remove it, reboot, and Windows would install a new drive and reinitialize it. No problems detected there.

I finally took my PRODUCED file and inserted it into a new project as the only item on the timeline in PD10, added the Memory Box menu, and successfully created a DVD.

I can only conclude that the horrible video quality must have been more than PD10 could handle. I am no techno-expert but I don't think that BD writers are connected via USB, but perhaps they are and that was what caused the power surge warning, although I think at this point, Windows didn't know what to do with whatever caused PD10 to just kind of hang. I should clarify that the PD10 menus were responsive at all times - the BD drive was just no longer writing though spinning like crazy.

In any event, I pass this along for what it is worth and would be very interested in the opinions of the pros here who are much more technically literate than I am. I have attached my dxdiag for your info.

Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil
 Filename
MGDxDiagx64.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
38 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
332 time(s)
Windows 10 Pro x64
Dell XPS 8930
Intel CoreT i7 (4.6 GHz)
32 GB DDR4-2666 RAM
1 TB PCIe -x4 SSD
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
PD14 Ultimate x64, 4207
CD4 Ultra and AD6 Ultra
Bleeping Computer Malware Response Instructor
Rocket-Scientist
Senior Member Private Message Location: HUNTSVILLE, ALABAMA Joined: Apr 23, 2010 10:14 Messages: 288 Offline
[Post New]
you have a great looking system in your signature block, but i noticed you are overclocking. that may be the source of your strange error message. The BD writer takes a high data rate, it may have faulted out and accepted a bad command (hence the run away disk function/malfunction). Try same original files and burn direct to disk with overclocking turned off or down.

With your system, you should not need a lot of overclocking. WINDOWS 7 PRO 64 BIT [SP1]
GIGABYTE 990FXA-UD5 MB
FX 8150 X8 (3.6GHZ) 32 GB DDR3
GTX 760 2GB GDDR5 [NVIDIA 344.75 DRIVERS]
3X 2TB SATA III, 3X 1TB SATA III
480GB SSD SATA III (SYSTEM)
PD13 ULTIMATE 64bit 3.0.2307.0
CORSAIR HX1050 watts PSU
garioch7
Senior Contributor Private Message Location: Port Hood, Nova Scotia, Canada Joined: Feb 07, 2011 06:45 Messages: 851 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks Rocket Scientist for your insights. I did have the burn speed dialed back from the maximum 16x to 12x, so I am wondering why the BD drive would have had problems handling the data transfer rate.

I have never experienced the problem before, or since. I am beginning to suspect by BitDefender software did something in the background - I normally put it into "Game Mode" to stop it from interfering. It has knocked out PD9 and my VHS capture software before, so that is my best theory at this point in time. I will continue to monitor and if the situation recurs, then I will try turning off the overclock.

Have a great day, and thanks again.

Regards,
-Phil

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 31. 2012 10:00

Windows 10 Pro x64
Dell XPS 8930
Intel CoreT i7 (4.6 GHz)
32 GB DDR4-2666 RAM
1 TB PCIe -x4 SSD
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
PD14 Ultimate x64, 4207
CD4 Ultra and AD6 Ultra