Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
How to copy and paste on the same track
Grumpy [Avatar]
Member Location: Surrey, BC Joined: Jan 24, 2012 17:35 Messages: 50 Offline
[Post New]
I seem to be missing something. I want to copy a clip and paste it farther down the timeline, but the only option I see it to paste to another track, not the same one I copied from.

Also I often have a segment with clips, transitions and text that I want to use in another place on the timeline. Do I have to incorporate another track to do this?

Thanks Richard

PD10, build 10.0.1129b SR VDE111213-07
Windows 7, 64-bit, Intel Quad core 3.3 GHz, 4 GB RAM, Intel on board graphics display (shares the RAM), 931 GB free space
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
1. Highlight a clip and select Ctrl+C (copy)
2. Move the slider and select paste (Ctrl+V). I would paste to a clear track area.

3. A split section of a clip can be moved - highlight clip
4. Mouse click left on clip and then drag the clip to a new location - can be the same track or a lower track.
5. Positioning between clips and a popup appears - "Insert or Overwrite" - your choice.
6. you can add or remove tracks as you wish.

Written from memory...

Dafydd
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Richard -

Yes - I think you're missing something too.

You can select the clip - right click > Copy - place the scrubber where you want to paste - right click > Paste. By default, it's pasted into the same track. You can then move it where you wish.

The same thing can be applied using the Range Selection Tool - which will copy ALL the tracks in the region selected... then paste that further along the timeline.

Cheers - Tony

Note to self: Try to avoid posting at the same time as other members.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 27. 2012 16:50

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Grumpy [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi guys

Well I didn't miss it completely. I know how to copy & paste, and the copy went fine but no option to paste when I right click. Ctrl+V works though, don't why I didn't think of trying that.

I right clicked on the tulips.jpg image, clicked copy and then moved the scrubber to the left and right clicked, no paste option, but Crl+V works.

I wonder why I have no option in the right click menu to paste???

Thanks for your help.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 27. 2012 17:52

Richard

Windows 7, 64-bit, Intel Quad core 3.3 GHz, 4 GB RAM, Intel on board graphics display (shares the RAM), 931 GB free space
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Richard -

A picture speaks a thousand words!

It looks like you're right clicking in an empty space. Try doing it between clips or right at the start/end of a selected clip.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Grumpy,

Another option...

[Thumb - Copy & Paste.png]
 Filename
Copy & Paste.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
60 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
442 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 27. 2012 18:44

Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
Grumpy [Avatar]
[Post New]
The empty space is where I want to paste it.

I got the copy part OK, it's the paste that's the issue.

I've been clicking all over the timeline and around and on the scrubber, but it was the comment from Tony, "right at the start/end of a selected clip" that clicked (no pun intended).

I have now found out that you MUST click at the start/end of a clip, you MUST have the double arrows as you see in the screen shot to get the paste option. Poor cell phone pic of screen, print screen doesn't capture the mouse.

If a space precedes the project, and you want to paste there, you can't do it! I had to move a clip there and then I had to clip on the start/end of that clip to paste, then delete the clip I put there first. Also keep in mind that if the scrubber is at the beginning of a clip, the paste moves everything to the right of the scrubber to make room for the clip you are pasting, so pick you paste location carefully. Also good to keep your preferences set to "Link all tracks when inserting/removing content in timeline" so you don't get all out of sync.

This is quite a bit different from what I've worked with for the last 8 years, glad you guys are here to help out.

Thanks so much, great community here

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 27. 2012 19:03

Richard

ganesha86 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Jan 16, 2012 00:54 Messages: 106 Offline
[Post New]
If the clip is in the middle of your stuff, you have to go all the way to a blank area at the end to paste it; otherwise it will split whatever is at the cursor position.
Grumpy [Avatar]
[Post New]
Yes sir, that is correct, found that out. : Richard