Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
DVD video quality poorer than camera video
Michael [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 23, 2007 15:17 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I've got Power Director 5 NE Express editing functions well understood, and I have made some satisfactory videos. My problem is the compression artifacts in the final product.

How can my finished video from a DVD look as good as the camera original?
The individal video clips look great, but the "produce" function degrades the image. The grass dances....people in motion have been trimmed with pinking shears.....

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Michael
McCullough [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 27, 2007 19:19 Messages: 20 Offline
[Post New]
I know when I produce my files the final product quality depends on the type of output I select. I always use mpeg2 when I want the best final picture quality even though it produces the largest file size.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
What's the camera you use?

Is it a 3 CCD camera or a single CCD camera?

You cant improve upon the captured video brought into the editing package. What format is the video captured onto your PC? Mpeg2 has fixed compression parameters and pixellation can occur ... when over compression takes place (multiple rendering of a video file) or the video edited isn't very high spec.

Basically everything depends upon what you've captured....

Dafydd
Ken [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 04, 2008 20:52 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Hello Everyone,

I too have the same problem, it's so frustrating.
The video looks great on the camera and even when burned directly to dvd in power producer with no editing.
So it can't be the intial quality.

It is also great when first imported into powerdirector,
but as soon as you drop it in the timeline and watch it from there you can see it fluttering and kind of blurry with little lines on the edges of some things in the scene,
and looks the same when burned to dvd. It's not all the time but mostly in scenes with panning or zooming and it's not there on the raw footage or when burned directly to dvd.

There is something in powerdirector that is causing this,
please please please tell me there is a fix!! or if not tell me that too...lol, then i can stop tearing my hair out and look for some other editing software.

I'm using powerdirector 5.00.2309(came with the camera) and my camera is a
jvc gz-mg130u it uses the .mod (mpeg2) file.
I've seen this problem with powerdirector asked about
a few times on the net but never saw an answer on how to fix it. If someone can help me fix this that would be GREAT!! i'll even send you a thank you card.

Thanks again, Ken
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Check VBR - variable bit rate for mpeg capture.

VBR 3000 to 8300 kbps

Set it to a fixed capture rate of your choosing.

Select Edit > Preferences untick
Enable CyberLink MPEG@Best

Move to Capture mode and change the Profile

These are your choices - they're dependent upon your PC capability, CPU size etc.

Dafydd
Ken [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 04, 2008 20:52 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Thank you Dafydd,

I will check that out thanks for the tip,
but i unistalled all cyberlink software and reinstalled
it last night. I then reloaded my videos clips and
magically the quality was there all the way thru the
burn. I'm not sure what made the difference but i'm
all smiles now!!

Thanks for your time and good luck to others here