Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Why can't PD10 download converted Analog video while Windows Live movie maker CAN?
Grayfox72 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 06, 2010 14:57 Messages: 30 Offline
[Post New]
I cannot seem to get PD10 to Capture my video from an A/D converter. I am using the Canopus model 300 ADVC and a fire wire cable to my PC ( WIN 7/64). I can load the converted Analog 8MM Movie cassette tape into Adobe 9 OK, as well as Microsoft Windows Live Movie Maker, but not into PD10 which is what I prefer. I just purchased PD10, and the specs say this can be done, but I cannot seem to get it to work. I have loaded from Adobe Elements version 9 into PD10, but not directly from the Canopus 300. The video has been converted from Analog to Digital, so WHY won't this work for PD10??
PD10 keeps saying that I cannot use the CAPTURE function because the iLink mode on the HDV device ( I assume they mean the Canopus 300 ADVC ) is not identical to the recorded format on the tape. Make sure the content on the tape is an HDV format. Come on, this is a converted Analog video to Digital video, why does it have to be High Definition video in order for PD10 to Capture the video?
Anyone have any ideas for getting PD10 to work to convert standard old 1995 version movie cassette tapes? I paid good money for PD10, I want it to work!! If it cannot function in this case, then the 217 pages worth of Users Manual should so state. Attitude + Behavior = Performance
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi

I had to do a look up for your Canopus model. I came across a thread comment:
I've recently gotten a new laptop which was unfortunately burdened with a 64 bit windows 7 O/S. Now the canopus (grass valley) ADVC 300 no longer will function. Neither Adobe Premiere, nor the Picture Controller can find the device "capture device is offline".Read more

Source; http://www.videohelp.com/capturecards/canopus-advc-300/350

May help you a little. PD10 = 64bit program

Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 23. 2012 06:14

heinzb58 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 23, 2009 08:42 Messages: 25 Offline
[Post New]
ADVC should work, see http://www.grassvalley.com/products/advc300
When it doesen't work you have to install the legacy firewire driver, see http://www.videoproductions.com.au/html/legacy-firewire-driver.html Greetings from Switzerland
Heinz
Grayfox72 [Avatar]
[Post New]
heinnzb58: Thank you for your reply, I checked my 1394 driver, it was : Texas Instruments 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller. I installed the listed 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller (Legacy), rebooted, and will see if PD10 will load my converted video from the Canopus 300. I will reply again after I give this a try. Thank you for your response Heinz,

Dick Attitude + Behavior = Performance
Grayfox72 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Dafydd: I checked out the Canopus forum, it seems that the 1394 host controller can indeed give problems to Win7-64. Heinz had suggested to use the Legacy controller, which I have just installed, and will give that a try right after lunch and bringing in more firewood (winter has finally arrived here in the Northeast). I will let you guys know how this works. Attitude + Behavior = Performance
Grayfox72 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Dafydd & Heinz, SUCCESS !!!! After changing the 1394 driver from "TI 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller" to "1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller (Legacy)", I no longer received an error message when PD10 screen started and I hit playback on the Video camera. The Canopus 300 performed it's function fine converting the Analog tape to Digital format.
I didn't realize one other thing ( being new at using video software), PD10 already had Capture highlighted, as well as Video camera, so I thought when I hit Playback on the VTR of the Movie Camera, the recording in PD10 would occur automatically. No way ! I had to hit the RECORD button, then I observed the Recorded indicator actually showing a count. I set the tape size to 4.7 GB in order to match the size of my DVD blank disk. 25 GB of tape, 5 more DVD worth to record, time for a blueray!!
Thank you again guys, much appreciated for your great help
Dick Attitude + Behavior = Performance