Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
TrueHD not working, DTS-Master OK. Radeon 5670
n808 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 16, 2009 22:48 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
I have had this problem since PowerDVD 9, reported it a couple of times, but still no resolution...

I can not get Dolby TrueHD bitstreaming to work with PowerDVD. DTS-Master works fine. With TrueHD, there is no sound and video changes to stopmotion. Changing to PCM is a workaround, but not a good one. I have an Onkyo TX-SR605 AVR and an ATI Radeon HD 5670 video card. Latest Catalyst 11.12.

TrueHD bitstreaming works fine with Total Media Theatre as well as MPC-HC/ffdshow. It's only PowerDVD that cannot stream compressed TrueHD to my AVR, so it must be a PowerDVD problem.

Has anyone else run into this problem?
MARK [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 15, 2011 16:24 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
I presume TrueHD is shown as a supported format in the configuration. Also select a 1080p24 format for your display if available within Catalyst. If you use AnyDVD you can also select 23.976Hz under the external programs settings.
ganesha86 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Jan 16, 2012 00:54 Messages: 106 Offline
[Post New]
I know of one sure way to avoid the downsampling for a DTS HD MA or Dolby TrueHD when being played back from a Blu Ray disc in a PC. You have to bitstream it over an HDMI 1.3a connection to a receiver that supports the above compression schemes. You need hardware and software to do this.
n808 [Avatar]
[Post New]
The answer is yes, to all of the above.
Like I wrote, TrueHD works fine in other players, just not PowerDVD.
vbdino [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 24, 2011 08:54 Messages: 18 Offline
[Post New]
I have a Radeon 5850 with catalyst 11.12 and PowerDVD 11 Ultra. Both Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master are working. I am starting to wonder about how HDMI really works. We get the impression that it either works or not at all. Maybe there is a third possibility, which is not working 100%.

I got better results by disabling the motherboard sound device and have only AMD high definition driver.
n808 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I gave up. No solution was ever found. Other Blu-ray players can stream TrueHD directly to my AVR via a Radeon 5750. PowerDVD cannot. Others report it to be working (5850). A OS re-install would probably help, since this system has had a long list of PowerDVD versions installed, but for now I will use the other players - TMT when I need menus and/or extras, MPC-HC otherwise.