Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Power Director 5 or 6??
Patrick [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 19, 2007 01:51 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
Good Afternoon,
This is my first attempt at trying to gain assistance regarding Power Director 5 and 6.
Explaination:
My systen crashed, I then had to clean and format the disk, then re-install Windows XP Pro. The problem with this is that it takes approximately three days of my time. My XP Pro Disc was purchased in 2004 and came with SP1. I also have the SP2 disk, but it still takes about three days going through all the update. That's the background.
When I reinstalled Power Director 5 I got a message on screen advising that" FFDSHOW" was installed did I want to continue , or a similar message.

I stopped and contacted Customer Support. Having gone through any number of variants, the end result was that I should Un- Insatll Version 5, and Install version 6.
Installed , or tried to install version 6, after going through the Un-Installl process of Version 5, to find that about half way throught the Install of Ver 6. Stopped and advised that I already had Power Director Installed.
Check, could fine nothing, Checked throught the Registry for any Power Director entry, Nothing. Did a Search using all possible variatione on power director. Found Nothing.
Customer Support advise that I must Re-Install Windows XP Pro.
I find thai all rather strange in that I can and have installed programs like Nero 8 since the above. No Problem.
It appears that if i try to Install Power Director, I can't.

Can anyone assist in this matter.
Sorry for being so long winded, but at least you now have the full picture.

My Sincere Thanks

Patrick

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 21. 2007 09:06

Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
What are the PowerDirector versions you have? Upgrades, Full products? What is the build version of PD5 and PD6? Just hover the cursor over the installation exe to get the information.

Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 21. 2007 09:17

Patrick [Avatar]
[Post New]
Good Afternoo Dafydd,
Sounds like you are from Wales.
My Sincere Thanks for your very fast response. As best as I can the following:
Power Director5 Premium Full Version.
Powwer Director 6: Build 6-Cyberlink_1731b_VPEO70411-01 4.0.100/1190.

I am desperate fro a quick solution. Not Re-Install windows.
Christmas is coming and I am going to need PD on my system.
I hope that you can emulate " Merlin "

My Sincere Thanks
Kind Regards

Patrick ( Pat )
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
I prefer to be a Druid.

Please try some or all of the following - note the regedit bit which you need to carry out.

try the following way to re-install PowerDirector:
a.) Start--> Programs -->Cyberlink PowerDirector --> Uninstall PowerDirector
b.) Start --> Run --> type "regedit" --> click "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" --> click "Software" --> locate "Cyberlink" ----> click the "+" (if you have more than one CyberLink product) -->Delete the "PowerDirector" folder
c.) Start --> Run --> type "regedit"--> click "Hkey_Current_user" --> click
"Software" --> locate "Cyberlink" ----> click the "+" (if you have more than one CyberLink product) -->Delete "PowerDirector" folder.
d.) Delete C:\Programs Files\Cyberlink\PowerDirector
And reboot your PC.
After this, please install your PowerDirector

I'd like you afterwards to check C:/Program Files/CyberLink and delete the CyberLink folder if the only program you have is PowerDirector - please state what you have.

Report back of course.

Dafydd
[Moderator]

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Nov 21. 2007 10:08

Patrick [Avatar]
[Post New]
Good afternoon Dafydd,
I have already done all of that and have just checked to be absolutely sure.
I have treid Searching the Registry for anything like Power Director. Nothing.
I have Power DVD 7 Installed as of yesterday afternoon. Prior to that I had Un-Installed it, and delete the Cyberlink Folder. That meant I had nothibg of Cyberlink on my system. Tried to Install Power Director 6, gets abot half way to install then stops and advises that I have Power director Installed.
There is only one place on my system where Power Director name appears. Tha is in my E:\ Utilities Drive where I keep all of my Downloads, and My PDF Cyberlink manuals etc. I have even resorted to Unpluggung the USB connection to that drive just in case.
Still have the same problem. I cna install anything else other than Power Director. Help
My Sincere Thanks
Pat
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Appears to me that the suggestion given to you by Customer Support should be followed.

I think you've messed up your system.

I'm not going to get involved with trying to sort out or make any other suggestion since the quickest solution is to wipe your system and re-install.

Best of luck

Dafydd

Patrick [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Dafydd,
My last request to Customer Support was I ve,ieve a very reasonable one.
Ig Nero canp Provide a " Genetel Clean Tool " for thier system to cover eventualities just like this, then why do Cyberlink nopt provide any gorm of Vleaning utilotoes.
It#s a bit reich , when you run into trouble that the answer seems to be. RE-Install your O\S.
Is there no sucg tool abao;able anywhere???
My Sincere thanks

Pat
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Patrick,

I think you messed up the installation of the OS - somewhere. The re-installation of which should not take you more than a few hours. De-partition your HD, then set up an ntfs partition. Install XP, install SP2... then install PD. The OS updates should be the last thing you do and only install the latest . I'd recommend you go off-line to do the OS install and only come back on-line when you have put all your software back in - including your firewall settings etc.

I also think you messed up when you failed to install PD5.

Video editing is a demanding tool and I'd rather you had a stable operating system than be using an OS that's likely to fall over later during a major editing project because it's been plugged or fuzzed over with a temporary solution.

In the end I want you video editing... and having fun doing so, I think a few hours installing an OS is a small price to pay for a safe stable system.

Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 22. 2007 03:28

Patrick [Avatar]
[Post New]
Morning Dafydd,
There are a number of points which you hace presented to me. Please let me put you straight.
I had just reformayyed my Hard Drive then Installed the O\S including SP2.
Then I carried out the upfates. Perhpas wrong, but that is the way I understood then to wotrk.
Once that was all done I started to Install my Programs.
Power Director Premium 5 was Installed and I hads been Editing with it , No Problem.
I also installed Power DVD7. No Problem or with any other installation, including Nero7 which I thimks is probanly more demanding tham Power Director, nut that is a matter of opinion.
It was after I had gone through a number oif Automatic Updates from MS, possibky that I first discovered my problem.
I Opend Power Director5 Premium to be shown this " ffdsho.exe" at which time I contacted " Customer Support ".
I was advised to follow a particular series of instructions, which I did.
From there it just got worse.

What I am have a hard time believing is that Cyberlink DO NOT have a General Clean Tool for such Incidends. I wonder Why.

Nero have alway have had " Clean tools " because they possibly anticipate problems with their users and the Un-Installation process which can be a bit of a nightmare.
Just one man's opinion.

So I didn't mess up installing PD5. Quite the reverse.

My Thanks for your input though.

My Sincere Thanks

Pat

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 22. 2007 08:25

Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Prynhawn da Patrick,

I got that wrong re the PD5 install.

Clean tool... I'll raise the point with CyberLink.

I don't know what precise instructions were given to you... I know I'd be screaming at this point and i would be going for a OS re-install etc. I'll get a message to CL on this point as well.

As for OS installations - do it the way you want... I just opt for my way because it works for me and my system.

Thank you for the follow up info. Sorry I cant be of help any further.

Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 22. 2007 08:26

Patrick [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Dafydd,
Sorry but I believe that I may owe you an apology. Re-Reading mmy last message to you. Someone who is trying to help, sound just a little on the Short to Rude side. You have my sincer apologies. Didn't mean to snap at you.
Perhaps I'm wrong.
O think all things being equal, if I have this right, if not please correct me.

Un-Install O\S.
Re-Install clean O\S from Scratch. The XP Pro Disk with SP1, followed by SP2.
Once that is doen, you are saying that I can simply download the latest Update??

Is there aspecific page where I can obtain the latest Updaye.

Reason I ask is that last time I did an Install, and weht to Update, it seemed to take forever.

If there is a quick way I'm all for it.

Going back to Nero.
Right from when I first started using Nero 5. They have always provided the following Tools to get users out of Trouble@
General Clean tool.
Driver-CleanTool
Registry Checker
InCd-CleanTool
They advise that you un-Insall from Add\Remove. Then check using the tools supplied.

I'm staggered to find that Cyberlink have nothing to offer.
So if a user get's into trouble. like now, you have to Re-Install the O\S.
Not good in my Huble opinion.
I have always rered Cyberlonk veru Highly. They have now got a rather large dent in thero rep. from me.

Sorry.

Once agaion, you have my apologies.

My Sincere Thanks

Lind regards

Patrick.

Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Patrick,

I got it wrong... there was no need to apologize... I'm brave enough to admit when I think I've stuck my own foot in my mouth

As to applying the "OS update" after an OS install - I would not do so until I have all other software loaded and tested - you can then be assured it was working at some stage. An OS update is suitable to install on a user's PC (one with loads of data). I nowadays delegate that task so if you ask me too much.....

I'll pass on the Nero info/comment.

I would NOT install Nero until after testing/checking PD.

Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 22. 2007 09:36

Patrick [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Dafydd,
My sincere Thanks for your time and assistance. I am still very puzzled as to why PD won't install. But it won't so I'm stuck and have to decided what to do.
My Sincere thanks

Kind Regards

patrick
serge [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 28, 2007 19:42 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
if i may suggest something...
i had problem with pd6 and divx installation, i have tried everything from uninstalled normally pd6 and clean registry...but always no divx
I was able to fix it when i tried this: install powerproducer trial and uninstalled it and reinstalled pd6... i know it sounds weird but it did work for me...maybe for you too
Serge
Patrick [Avatar]
[Post New]
Good Morning Serge,
thank you for your thoughts. Something I had not tried. Just downloaded the Power Producer Trial as suggested. Installed as simple as falling of a lig.
Un-Installed it went just the same.
Tried to Install power Producer, got to about halof way then, Power Producer has been detected on your system.
So it looks like I am stuck.

Once again

My Sincere Thanks for your thiught.

Bery kind of you.

Patrick