Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD10 hangs on 100% Produced (one possible reason)
SeptimusFry
Senior Member Location: Brittany, France Joined: Feb 02, 2008 12:43 Messages: 243 Offline
[Post New]
A couple of days ago, PD10 hung at 100% production on all productions I tried, MPEG-4 and MOV in default and user profiles. The job was a string of clips straight out of the camera and with a simple fade transition applied throughout. No titles, no PIP, no added tracks....

I decided to work through what I consider to be the correct procedure for resolving such an issue. Since the first premise is that PD10 can do the production and that the clips I was using were totally simple, the fault should be with my platform.

First step is to create a restore point, then use MSCONFIG to select Diagnostic Boot. Under those conditions almost nothing is loaded apart from OS and MS essential drivers. No loaded utility tasks nor their little helpers...

Now, booting up PD10, it asks to Launch RichVideo... OK. Now try my production and same result, PD10 hangs at 100% produced. Hmmm, very strange, I would have expected it to run straightaway.

Tell MSCONFIG to start normally, then do a restore (since user unloaded resident tasks get reloaded) from the previous saved restore point.

Try PD10 again... ureka!! ... everything working again.

Interim theory: when original problem occured, some installed codec had been replaced at some time; booting in diagnostic mode does not load the appropriate codec, but restarting as normal loaded it.

OK, what codec could have been interfered with? A littlte reflection and looking in my logbook, I note that I recently installed and ran a utility called MKV2VOB, which converts Makroshka videos. Perhaps that was the software which had swapped codecs?

So I checked PD10 still working OK, did a Makroshka conversion and PD10 then hung again at 100%

So, if you have occasion to use MKV2VOB, you should reboot your computer afterwards.

I hope this helps someone along the way, bearing in mind it doesnt have to have been mkv2vob - ANY VIDEO CONVERSION PROGRAM has the potential to cause this sort of problem. Another lesson learnt is that Diagnostic Boot may not find a problem directly, but it certainly helps to focus the mind.
i7 980x; W7 Pro; 12GB; Nvidia GTX 285; 2x300G Velociraptors in Raid 0; 2x1.5TB Barracuda in Raid 1; 2TB WD Studio Ed.II (eSATA); NEC SpectraView Reference 2690 + MultiSync EA232