Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
combining or replicating two smart sound audio sources into one Movie....what's the trick?
bobbygr100@hotmail.com [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 04, 2011 10:12 Messages: 21 Offline
[Post New]
I have an AVI video that is 2 hours 12 minutes and 48 seconds long. I want to use smartsound to play music in the bakground (these are 8mm home movies that were made into AVI files and have NO sound).

I am using power director 10, the latest release.

The problem is none of the smartsound music will allow me over 1 hour and a couple of minutes duration If I enter the length of my AVI file (a little over two hours, the duration field in power director goes back by itself to a few minutes over an hour. . In the instruction video, cyberlink gives us an example of a 14 SECOND clip, useless. I tried dragging a second 1 hour section down on the music timeline but one of two things happens:

1) When the sound reaches the end of the first sound clip, the movie ends and goes back to the beginning to be played again. Anything AFTER the first smartsound section (over ONE FULL HOUR OF VIDEO) never gets played and, for that matter, can not be accessed.

2) If I position the second smartsound section just right the movie will play until the end of the first smartsound section - then there is a period (10-20 seconds) of video with no music - then the second smartsound block on the timeline starts to play, but for about 30 seconds to 1 minute the video is frozen so you have this music playing the frozen video, not acceptable. I thought smart sound was supposed to determine the length of your video and fill it from beginning to end? How do I make it do that?

Neither of these behaviors MAKES ANY SENSE TO ME. Is there a way to get smartsound to allow me to enter the length of time for smart sound to fit my movie and bypass this little over 1 hour of smart sound I can use?

I do not want my movie, because of smart sound restrictions snapped backwards a little over an hour to the beginning; neither do I want my movie "frozen" in the middle for a minute when the second instance of smart sound starts. What is the proper way to put two smart sound blocks on the audio portion of the timeline so #1 and #2 above will not happen? I spent two full nights on this and I can't get it. Power Director fights me at every angle.

Not only that, but I get long hangs in power director when trying different things with smart sound, each little change can hang my Core i7 980x hexacore cpu powered PC to a crawl. It may not be the cpu is where the hang is, but thanks to the "hot keys" power director lays over windows, I cannot get to the resource monitor with the windows sequence I've always used.

Note I cannot apply any compression to the AVI file because these are 8mm films over 30 years old "ripped" to VHS and then fed into the computer as AVI files. They are hard enough to see so as it is (8mm looked so crappy in the first place) and any compression would make them pretty much unviewable - I've tried it with horrible visual results.... The current movie file I am working with is near 190 GB. PLease help me and direct me if you can. I would appreciate any help from the community that is available, as this is where I believe the experts are.

Thank You,

Bob
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Bob -

Getting around these things can be frustrating. Not telling you anything there!

You're right - the time does jump back to 01:00:03:18, if you set it to a longer duration. Have you considered that the same music for that time might become a little - well - monotonous?

In (1) it sounds like you may have been in clip mode if it got to the end of the first piece of music then stopped. Might that have been the case? Was the SS track highlighted, perhaps?

Sometimes, when I'm mixing two or more SS tracks, I get that little hiccup when previewing the video. It's always ironed out in the produced file.

Do you have the SS tracks butted up against each other - or are they in separate tracks? I usually do that to fade one out & fade the other in.

I don't know why your PC would be struggling with processing the 2hr+ AVIs, with a bit of music thrown in. Doesn't sound like very hard work to me.

If your computer is having trouble, you may need to:
(a) produce the video only portion (no music) to your preferred format. I don't think VHS footage will suffer too much from being produced to (say) MPEG-2 or AVC H.264.
(b) bring that produced file back into your project
and separately...
(c) mix your SS tracks in the voice music tracks - to the desired duration - then produce that (music only) to (say) .WMA
(d) bring that produced music file back into your project
then...
(e) insert your produced video file in track 1 & your produced music file in track 2 - and produce your final video.

Cheers - Tony

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!