Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
more advanced subtitle options requested
bonjedward [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Denmark Joined: Jun 03, 2011 06:35 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
For what I can tell, it seems PowerDirector10 has only the same subtitle import possibilities as PowerDirector9, which I have. I'd like to see .ASS subtitle format being supported or any other more advanced subtitle format than .SRT. If so, I'd definitely upgrade to version 10.

My main interest is italics. Actually, the <i></i> tag is specified in SRT, but not supported in PowerDirector, so even if just that was added, it would be an improvement. You can manually change a whole line of subtitles to italic in PowerDirector, but it's much more useful to do it to individual words, to suggest for example that a character is pronouncing a word in a strange way, or that a spelling mistake is not the translator's carelessness but reflects the character's mistake.

I see other Cyberlink products support different subtitle formats, so why not PowerDirector?
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: For what I can tell, it seems PowerDirector10 has only the same subtitle import possibilities as PowerDirector9, which I have. I'd like to see .ASS subtitle format being supported or any other more advanced subtitle format than .SRT. If so, I'd definitely upgrade to version 10.

My main interest is italics. Actually, the <i></i> tag is specified in SRT, but not supported in PowerDirector, so even if just that was added, it would be an improvement. You can manually change a whole line of subtitles to italic in PowerDirector, but it's much more useful to do it to individual words, to suggest for example that a character is pronouncing a word in a strange way, or that a spelling mistake is not the translator's carelessness but reflects the character's mistake.

I see other Cyberlink products support different subtitle formats, so why not PowerDirector?

Powerdirector is not great with subtitles.

It does not support 80-90% of the formatting available for subtitles.
<i></i> tags will show on screen in text, not italic.

I edit out all tags except for <br />, that is break tag and does work. You do not see that tag in PD, but it does cause a next line in PD.

All that Powerdirector does with subtitles is put the text on the screen and only at the bottom.
It is also hard to edit with subtitles, you have to use the range finder every time or else the subtitle and video get out of sync.

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

bolda
Member Location: Liberec, Czech Republic Joined: Feb 02, 2011 15:10 Messages: 96 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

I understand srt subtitle files are not meant to be tagged (for their format see, for instance, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SubRip). Thus they don't carry any font property information. If tags are supported in them by some software, it is not standard or generally compatible.

I'm afraid you can only set italics manually. Unfortunatelly, PowerDirector doesn't seem to support different font settings within one subtitle. One caption either is all in italics or isn't in italics...
bonjedward [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Denmark Joined: Jun 03, 2011 06:35 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
I'm just hoping someone from Cyberlink notices this post, and maybe one day it'll be included!
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi bonjedward,
I have added the request to a report. Item 321.

Forum Moderator