Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Skewed photo after video clip
Watercolorwilly [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Phoenix Joined: Mar 13, 2011 11:35 Messages: 211 Offline
[Post New]
I've been surprised by a bug that I could not isolate until now - it only shows up on the burn. Before I submit this to Cyberlink, I thought I'd see if others have seen this: When I use the Crop Video function to do various things and use a fade transition to the following still photo, the still photo gets skewed like the old TV problem with horizontal hold. In this particular instance, I rotated slightly the video at the end of the clip to blend into the next still photo to make the horizons match. The result is a photo that is split in half and rotated correctly. But the left half of the photo is on the right and the right half is on the left. I could try to do a screen capture this, if you need to see it.
More interesting: When I play it back in PD itself, it works properly. When I burn it to DVD and watch it on any player, this problem shows up. How could that be?

Another result of Crop Video is when I have the video move off center to fade properly on top of the following fade to a still photo, the video flickers from normal to black on a portion of the left half or quarter. It's almost like someone jiggling a loose cable, but a good portion of the display stays solid.

Video Crop does function 100% if I do anything other than a pure steady crop that does not change throughout the clip.

Am I expecting too much from this function? I used this in PD 9 and it worked as I expected, unlike the disaster in PD 10.

Bill Bill Seifert
HP Pavilion Desktop TP01-2022
8 core
AMD Radeon
Windows 11, 16 GB RAM

Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Bill,
For your observations you will need to provide images and state clearly whether you carried out a similar test with other media and replicated the situation.

Please list clearly each action a member needs to carry out to replicate the possible bug you've found.
1. File source, file extension, frame size and sample attached.
2. List of actions.
3. Screenshots of the event.

Please read the guides.
Part A,B, E&F
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/7958.page

Dafydd
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
... the still photo gets skewed like the old TV problem with horizontal hold. In this particular instance, I rotated slightly the video at the end of the clip to blend into the next still photo to make the horizons match. The result is a photo that is split in half and rotated correctly. But the left half of the photo is on the right and the right half is on the left.

Hi Bill -

Without the information requested above, I tried to replicate what I thought was your issue... following your steps as closely as I could understand them.

I believe you may have stumbled on a bug in PD10. I could well be wrong & it may all be hypothetical, given that a new patch is due for release soon.

At first I lined up a cropped video followed by an image that had been rotated. I soon realised that it had little to do with the cropped video, but more to do with the way PD10 renders MPEG-2 DVD HQ.

I dispensed with the cropped video & focused on producing a video of an image that had various combinations of resizing, rotation & magic motion. It all ran fine in PD10's timeline/preview screen (as you said). When I produced it to AVC H.264 1920x1080, there were no problems. MPEG-2 DVD HQ was another story, as you'll see in the video I've uploaded. When my procedure was replicated in PD9 & produced to MPEG-2 DVD HQ, the produced file played perfectly.

I suspect that's why the problem only showed up in the burn phase... related to authoring the disc/rendering the video to MPEG-2. Obviously, inserting the produced .m2ts file into the timeline & producing as MPEG-2 DVD HQ yielded a correct result.

Cheers - Tony

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Watercolorwilly [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Phoenix Joined: Mar 13, 2011 11:35 Messages: 211 Offline
[Post New]
THANKS SO MUCH Tony! I was so bummed out in thinking about how to present this problem of mine for everyone to see. You saved me a ton of work and really lifted my spirits. I have a number of complaints about the functions of PD 10. I was beginning to feel that nobody believed me and thought I was some nut trying to make others' lives miserable with my complaints.

At this point I will not work up all the information that Dyfdd requested because your video shows the problem perfectly!

Meanwhile, today I must have tried to burn the 3rd of 5 DVDs on my Panama series about 50 times. Even the mpeg-2 would stop at the same place. Finally I looked there and saw the beginning of a fade transition to a video clip. So I expanded the transition to straddle that point. My mouth dropped open when this time the 40-minute project burned without trouble.

The point is this: when I played it in the preview pane, it worked fine. Try to burn it, and it stopped every time at that same place until I adjusted the transition point.

Is this a related bug to what you demonstrated for me?

Bill Bill Seifert
8 core
AMD Radeon
Windows 11, 16 GB RAM

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks Bill -

I'm not sure whether all those bits of misbehaviour are related...

but I can say, with a degree of certainty, that if you:

a. First produced your video to AVC H.264
b. Inserted the produced .m2ts file in your timeline
c. Burnt your DVD

... that you wouldn't have the skewed images problem.

* This isn't what most editors would recommend because of all the re-rendering, but it gets around the problem.

Cheers - Tony
ynotfish
[Post New]
I could well be wrong & it may all be hypothetical, given that a new patch is due for release soon.

Installing the 1129b patch made no difference to this particular issue. MPEG-2 DVD HQ still produces the same ailments! DVD SP is also afflicted, but all other default MPEG-2 profiles are fine.

Cheers - Tony
ynotfish
[Post New]
Bill -

Please ignore my earlier advice to work around the MPEG-2 DVD HQ problem, even though it would work. I hadn't tested the other MPEG-2 profiles.

a. Produce your video to MPEG-2 720p or 1920x1080
b. Insert the produced .mpeg2 file in your timeline
c. Burnt your DVD

That would decrease the re-rendering.

Cheers - Tony
Watercolorwilly [Avatar]
[Post New]
Tony, I was excited at your suggestion! But unless I did not do correctly what you suggested, my skew problem still shows up when I view the mpeg-2 before placing it in a new project in preparation to burn to DVD.

Bill Bill Seifert
8 core
AMD Radeon
Windows 11, 16 GB RAM

Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Bill,
3 attachments can be made to a Reply Post: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/reply/0/20748.page

Please use images to show the skew insitu, I am particularly interested in placements.

The "skew" issue is known to me and is something I came across a few years ago.

Dafydd
ynotfish
[Post New]

Dafydd - Are you saying that this issue with MPEG-2 DVD HQ production was present in previous versions of PD? then not in PD9... then back in PD10???

Seriously?

Cheers - Tony
Watercolorwilly [Avatar]
[Post New]
I'm not sure what you want. Print screens of my track before, during, after? Or video clips of the resulting burn, before, during, and after? Print screens of the keyframe settings? Pan and zoom settings screen prints?

I don't know if you are retired or not, but I have a heavy schedule of projects that make it difficult to break away much for this. Wasn't Tony's demo sufficient?

I could just as well work around this by removing the Crop changes that included the slight rotation to make the last frames of the video's horizon blend in with the following still shot's horizon that contain a slow zoom to the intended object.

Bill Bill Seifert
8 core
AMD Radeon
Windows 11, 16 GB RAM

Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote:

Dafydd - Are you saying that this issue with MPEG-2 DVD HQ production was present in previous versions of PD? then not in PD9... then back in PD10???

Seriously?

Cheers - Tony

Nope, that isn't the version to which I refer.
"The "skew" issue is known to me and is something I came across a few years ago."
Dafydd

Editing text slightly.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Dec 30. 2011 13:32

Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: I'm not sure what you want. Print screens of my track before, during, after? Or video clips of the resulting burn, before, during, and after? Print screens of the keyframe settings? Pan and zoom settings screen prints?

I don't know if you are retired or not, but I have a heavy schedule of projects that make it difficult to break away much for this. Wasn't Tony's demo sufficient?

I could just as well work around this by removing the Crop changes that included the slight rotation to make the last frames of the video's horizon blend in with the following still shot's horizon that contain a slow zoom to the intended object.

Bill

Hi Bill,
1. This is your thread and your issue.
2. I would like to see screenshots of the tracks and the preview display paying particular attention to the layout and selections.
3. I am looking for particular "triggers".

It is entirely upto you and I would not want to force or make you obliged to provide data.

Dafydd
Watercolorwilly [Avatar]
[Post New]
OK, I'll get back to you after I finish my current project.

How does this forum work? Will Tony be submitting his video demo on this issue to Cyberlink? That seemed sufficient to me for them to work on and resolve this.

Bill Bill Seifert
8 core
AMD Radeon
Windows 11, 16 GB RAM

Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
The whole thread including contents has been referred to CyberLink by me.

Forum Moderator

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 30. 2011 13:34

Watercolorwilly [Avatar]
[Post New]
Dafydd,

I checked my DVD and found that the skewed problem always becomes evident when I used Magic Motion and used the rotate feature in the upper left of panel where you can rotate the image by degrees. I believe it's the next following image that gets skewed each time.

I'm changing them all to 0 to get rid of the problem. I don't think you need more documentation that this. But tell me if you want more and I'll get it sometime.

Thanks for being there and trying to help!

Bill Bill Seifert
8 core
AMD Radeon
Windows 11, 16 GB RAM